Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homemade Smoker!

Options
  • 24-03-2011 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

I have become fascinated with Diners Drive-Ins and Dives on Food Network, especially with the ones that smoke all their own meat and decided to go ahead with my own smoker.

This is gonna be a project for myself and Dad hopefully, he is a hobbyist welder and that will cut down on cost a good bit.

If we get it right it will be one hell of a smoker.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Also if you can offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalpit/bigbaby/default.jsp

I have already bought the barrels and they are clean and ready for go, I just have to get the brackets and couple other bits and should be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

link does not work, in the u.s i have seen them made from a few cement blocks and some cast iron downpipes, a big choice of wood over there, free of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Fixed the link, thanks for the heads up :)

I sent a couple of emails to lumber yards and furniture making companies to see if they ever have any scraps or leftovers all untreated.

Will see if I get any replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭stick girl

If you are looking for a quick fix smoker (I know, not a fun as the big outdoors ones) get yourself a large selection box tin, or any large tin with a lid. inside put a small pile of wood chips (fine chips usually found at the likes of woody's and such. hickory, apple wood etc)place on top a small baking rack. or cake cooling rack, or chicken wire cutdown and propped on either end with aluminum foil. place on top of gas stove top. moderate heat. fine for an AGA as well. when chips start to smoke, place oiled salmon or any kind of fish on rack, cover and cook till done. delish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I bought some smoker bags from eBay (I've got an outdoor smoker, small chimney thing, but it's a pain to use unless I have a lot of fish or meat to smoke) - you just put your thing to be smoked in them (they take up to 3lbs of whatever) and bung them in the oven. Not tried them yet, but will do as soon as I can get the husband to go fishing. They come in alder or hickory versions, and I think they might be a good alternative to a proper smoker - just for the odd bit of fish, or chicken, or even cheese :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

Darkginger wrote: »
    I bought some smoker bags from eBay (I've got an outdoor smoker, small chimney thing, but it's a pain to use unless I have a lot of fish or meat to smoke) - you just put your thing to be smoked in them (they take up to 3lbs of whatever) and bung them in the oven. Not tried them yet, but will do as soon as I can get the husband to go fishing. They come in alder or hickory versions, and I think they might be a good alternative to a proper smoker - just for the odd bit of fish, or chicken, or even cheese :)
    you can but a hot smoker in most fishing tackle shops, that comes with all you need, racks, mets burner, hardwood dust, I have one for years , it can smoke eight small fillets of fish or four large fillets, I think they are about 70 r 80 blips :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 BBQ Dude

Hey, interesed to know if you sourced any wood for your smoking. I am looking for someone to supply fruit woods. I was just in texas at the world BBQ championships. I'm importing my own custom built smoker from texas, so i'll be looking for lots of good lump charcoal and some good wood.

Would love to see pics of yur smoker when finished

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'd like to make something like this:

http://www.grillingcompanion.com/how-to-build-a-smoker-part1/

It looks quite straight forward. But I've no idea where I would get such a barrel. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BBQ Dude

You can pick up these barrels from a garage. They are used for supplying engine oil to mechanics. or you'll get them at an Agricultural dealer, or a big farmer or contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Seb79

Hi seosamh1980,

This looks really nice and *unusual*. But I think that you will need a good bit of wood for this type of smoker, and buying the wood from fish shop could cost a lot. I've been in every shops you can think of last week end and impossible to find wood chips....:mad:

I'm after building my own smoker too (well, just missing the door...) and I'm getting a little desparate in finding wood chips...

I'd love to see more pictures when you are finished with your smoker :)

Good luck,

Seb.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

You actually don't use too much wood when smoking meat in a barrel smoker. I have a webber smokey mountain I've been using the last two years. I get the wood chunks not chips for smoking from a garden center. If I was smoking a full pork shoulder I'd only use 4 chunks any more and the smoke flavour is too strong. I can smoke 4 racks of ribs for 4 hours and only use 3 chunks.The type of wood also makes a big
    difference to the amount of wood used. http://www.omearasgardencentre.com/location.htm is the garden center I get my wood from.

• Advertisement

Thanks lordstilton, I feel a little better, it's a little far from Cork but at least I know we can find some wood somewhere :D

From what I understand the Webber smokey moutain is mainly for hot smoking. But to smoke, by example, salmon, you would then need more wood as the temperature cannot exceed the 30/35 degrees (not too sure if I'm correct, I'm only a beginner here :D ). I heard it takes about 7 hours to smoke a Salmon?

Thanks for the info,

Seb.

The webber is for hot smoking...I don't have any experience with cold smoking.

Anyone know where you can get wood chunks around the Dublin area?

I've got Weber Firespice Hickory wood chips but they really don't seem to work well. I can hardly get any smoke off them :confused:

Hi,

That's a problem these days, everything is smokeless...

Did you try to put a little of water on your wood chips before using them? I read somewhere that it may smoke a little more then.

Hope this helps,

Seb.

Are you keeping the lid on when cooking..Alot of people leave the lid off when bbq'ing which is really just grilling. To get a proper smokey flavour you need to make sure your bottom vents are open fully and the lid is on..you can then control the heat in the bbq with the top vent...the more open the hotter inside...soaking will proably help as if your coals are too hot the chips just burn away..i've stopped using chips and mainly use chunks when smoking meat...I get mine in mullingar but as far as I know the orchard garden center in celbridge sells chunks too

Seb79 wrote: »
    Hi,

That's a problem these days, everything is smokeless...

Did you try to put a little of water on your wood chips before using them? I read somewhere that it may smoke a little more then.

Hope this helps,

Seb.

Yeah I soaked them in water for 30 mins but still nothing. Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 james ensor

Seosamh1980,
    Would be interested in seeing a picture of the finish article & ball park on costs.
    I currently use seasoned ash with good results, its all about time & temperature
    Good luck with the project. :)

good resource for smoking recipes and techniques

http://tvwbb.com/eve

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭gar1234

looking into making something similar but cannot find any oil drums to make smoker anyone have any ideas where to find some around dublin area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheGinjaninja

hey all empty beer kegs work the same just on a smaller scale

• Advertisement
Advertisement