Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get my grades up for the leaving cert?

• 24-03-2011 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

I'm kinda nervous I failed some of my mocks and passed only 3 and my grades were bad. We only did our mocks last week.
    I know I hadn't done proper study which was my fault and ended up cramming.
    I'm bad at studying but I'm only realising now how important it is.
    I failed 3 and only just about managed a pass in the other 3 which were around 40/50% . I want to get A1 in Business and a A2 in English (o) the rest maths etc. I want to get B1s as I need around 410points I'm doing 3 higher and 3 ordinary subjects. Is this possible to get in just 10weeks? I did better in the christmas exams most were like past papers.
    I know I've left it last minute but is this possible to get, if I start studying now hard on each subject practising past papers working on my weak areas of each subject ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭mpdg

You can do this if you pull it all together and get moving.But first, it would be advisable to do some soul-searching - why is it that you've been not studying? Do you find routine hard? Are you lazy? Do you lack structure? You can address the root issue behind why you're in the situation you're in, thereby helping you do better in the future.

• See how much you can study a day. What do you do now? Is it consistent? Can you do more? How about the weekends? Is huge amounts of homework an issue? When you've answered these questions, write out a plan with the blocks of time you'll be spending on study each day.
    • Get a list of all the topics in each of your subjects. Highlight the topics that you are dire at. These are your priority topics.
    • List out your subjects. Give each subject a rating from 1 to 10 on how much work you want to do for that subject.
    • Go back to your time-sheet. Fill in what subjects you will do in each hour you've set.
    • Get out your calender, mark off holidays/oral weeks/practical weeks etc and fill in what topics you will get covered in your study sessions every week. Don't do it up until the Leaving yet, as you might have to adjust your timetable.

Just do that. It works if you stick to it. Also, marking schemes. I don't know if you take any sciences, but if you do, download the marking schemes from examinations.ie. The most helpful way I study is by going to the front of, say, my Bio papers and picking out a topic. Then, I look at where all the questions on that topic are and do all of those questions once I've revised the topic. I then go to my folder of marking schemes and correct them all. You quickly see where you aren't up to scratch and somehow the info sticks in your head better.

I hope this helps in some way. You just have to be optimistic about this. According to my repeating friends, this is the point of no return. You need to start NOW if you want to really change things for the Leaving Cert. But that still means that you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I'm kinda nervous I failed some of my mocks and passed only 3 and my grades were bad. We only did our mocks last week.
    I know I hadn't done proper study which was my fault and ended up cramming.
    I'm bad at studying but I'm only realising now how important it is.
    I failed 3 and only just about managed a pass in the other 3 which were around 40/50% . I want to get A1 in Business and a A2 in English (o) the rest maths etc. I want to get B1s as I need around 410points I'm doing 3 higher and 3 ordinary subjects. Is this possible to get in just 10weeks? I did better in the christmas exams most were like past papers.
    I know I've left it last minute but is this possible to get, if I start studying now hard on each subject practising past papers working on my weak areas of each subject ?

Of course you can! Get off the PC and Boards.ie and do like you said in your post. All is not yet lost. You have a good many weeks before the exam. You owe it to yourself to at least put in the effort. And then you can smugly say that you did your best.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Yeah I think its more finding it hard to get in to the routine of studying. I have a timetable made out just need to follow it more. And sometimes I can be really tired after school but I'm still gonna try or just get energy drinks or coffee to help.

Thats great advice for studying :).

Advertisement