Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion - Let's make a film!

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:10pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Here's an idea I've been thinking about for a while.

So there's a tonne of us on here with a big interest in film production, with varying levels of experience and skills. Half the threads we get are people trying to kick start their career or looking for feedback. I myself am hoping to find some sort of position in the field in the near future. As I'm sure we're all aware, it's a bastard of an industry to succeed in.

Anyway, here's the idea: why not pool our resources, talents and skills to make something? Nothing big, nothing fancy - it's likely we'd be working with a low to no budget. But just for fun and for the experience. Give everyone a chance to work on a team, get something together for their showreels, meet and learn from people with similar interests.

There's plenty of groups on boards - from football to theatre - who have come together on the site to create successful teams and groups. Why not with film? We'll start with something short and see where it goes from there. Get people from boards involved with every level of production if we can - from writing to acting to sound to post. Whatever we make likely won't be ground breaking, but would be something free from the commercial scene or the Arts Council / IFB etc...

Have nothing more than that basic idea in my head, but just throwing it out to see if there's any interest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You have my sword boom pole.

http://soundmarkey.webs.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Hannah_Ellen Cooke

Hey!!
    Im just starting back into acting again, that is a great idea. I'd be very interested.
    :)

A few of us from boards discussed this before but it never came to anything. It's an interesting idea and one which could be a lot of fun.

I'm getting a new camera in the coming weeks and am quite skilled at editing, after effects and have worked as a write since as far back as I can remember and have worked for a number of producers in rewriting material for them including a certain film featuring snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

No need for it not to be groundbreaking.:D Sometimes great film can be made due to constraint. It might be an idea to consider making something set in one location. (Like those mentioned in this thread.)

It's easy in terms of sets and getting permission to film and it's obviously cheaper and faster than having multiple locations. On the otherhand it forces everyone involved to work to a higher standard because for a story set in one room to work everyone has to be completely on their game. There isn't really any in between, it will either be excellent and compelling or it'll just be a bunch of people in a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HicksLV426

Hi All- if any of ye are serious about making a film, I have a 35mm (real film) camera with lomo lenses. I have used it on a couple of shorts and looks the business. Obviously more expensive than your run of the mill HD cameras but the 'look' of the footage is supreme.. If anyone wants some pics of my footage just drop me a pm... Ttfn

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

iguana wrote: »
    No need for it not to be groundbreaking.:D

Completely agree, fairly sure with no budget we'd likely be restricted to a location or two anyway :pac:

Thanks to everyone who has replied, will leave the thread for another few days to see if we gather anymore interest before we move forward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Hey would definitely be interested in getting involved in this in any capacity. I'm a member of no drama, the boards drama group, but am also a fledging writer so could be of use on and off camera. Or teamster! Don't get me started on how lazy and surly I can get! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Sounds like a great idea. Would love to be involved. I have a short story (only a couple of locations & small cast) that I was trying to turn into a script which I'd be happy to work on with someone. Also did a little acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I'd be very interested in taking part too! Bear in mind that I have little to no experience, but I'm pretty decent with Premiere Pro and After Effects and I'm thinking of getting into digital media next year, so I'd love to get a feel of what its like working on a project like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'd be very interested in this too. I'm a writer mainly, but have experience as crew doing everything from directing to fetching coffee (I make a mean latte!) and know my way around an editing suite too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jjhone076

I'm a college student and I like to make films in my spare time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks like we have enough interest to make a start anyway :)

So: how to move forward? Perhaps everyone interested can meet up sometime soon? Or would people prefer to have an idea to work with first?

I think a general plot should be hacked out first so we know what we're dealing with. We should have an idea of characters, story & length.

I'd like to throw out the idea of following a €20 note around several patrons in a bar. Listening to their conversations, how they interact with each other etc.

Could be shot at night & cost next to nothing.

What I'll do tomorrow is set up a private social group for anyone interested. That way we can toss around ideas a bit more freely, as I'm sure people are likely a bit wary about posting concepts online!

Anyway, in there we can have a bit more freedom to present plot ideas and then vote on favourites to develop :)

What I'll do tomorrow is set up a private social group for anyone interested. That way we can toss around ideas a bit more freely, as I'm sure people are likely a bit wary about posting concepts online!

was about to suggest that.
    Make it so!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I presume most of ye are based in Dublin? How about a show of hands for people's location and then decide on a suitable spot for meetups and shooting?

I'm in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gpdv

I would be interested but I am in Cork. Couldn't afford travelling across the country :(

I presume most of ye are based in Dublin? How about a show of hands for people's location and then decide on a suitable spot for meetups and shooting?

I'm in Galway

Dublin South I could afford a little bit of traveling so like wherever. :D

Dublin North

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JacComedy

Well I do mostly directing, and camera, acting and editing. However I'm in Kerry which kinda sucks if going on in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Based in south dublin, but willing to go anywhere in the pale!

Social group has been created and I've invited everyone here. Let me know if it didn't go through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I'd be interested if I can help. Based in Galway though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 JacComedy

Can't join till I get 25 posts, just joined so. Any filmmakers near Tralee?
    We could always do a collaboration style film? Maybe a "found footage" styled film?

Social group has been created and I've invited everyone here. Let me know if it didn't go through!

Didn' invite me :mad:

Galvasean wrote: »
    Didn' invite me :mad:

Hmm... says I did! Not sure how the invites go through, PM I think? Others have accepted the invite so they'll be able to tell you. I'll reinvite you anyway.

JacComedy wrote: »
    Can't join till I get 25 posts, just joined so.
    Same :eek:

Got the invite. Posted in group page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Interested!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Definately interested lads.
    I have a short script that could be shot on no budget too.....would be interesting to get the feedback of some of the lads here

Advertisement