Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out of touch- recommendations?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I am a fan of rock and metal but I feel out of touch these days and am struggling to hear about new bands. I don't have many friends who are into rock and metal and I only go to gigs of big name bands. I feel like I haven't discovered any band I really love in a long time. I am craving new music and would appreciate some recommendations!

My favourite band ever is Metallica and I still love them but am not as much into other metal bands as I used to be. My Pantera, Machine Head, Amen etc albums are not getting an airing as much as they would have a few years ago. What I tend to listen to these days is the likes of Audioslave, Queens of the Stone Age, Velvet Revolver, Faith No More, Metallica, Guns N'Roses, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam... you get the picture!

I have been looking through the forum and seen recommendations for some bands that I hadn't heard of- Five Finger Death Death Punch, Clutch and Black Country Communion are ones I am checking out at the moment.

Anyone care to share? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

FFDP are **** (argh... in my opinion, I guess). FNM is sweet with me though. I reckon we should try and evolve your taste. How about;

Fear Factory
    Down
    Rotting Christ
    Mr. Bungle
    Overkill
    Ministry
    Atheist
    Morbid Angel
    Death

Then we can get to on to less mainstream stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Slayer, Kreator, Sodom, Heimdalls Wacht, Dark Funeral, Nagelfar, Cannibal Corpse, Amon Amarth, Prostitute Disfigurement

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Nailz wrote: »
    FFDP are **** (argh... in my opinion, I guess).
    Like I said somewhere before, they strike me as a watered down Lamb of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Six of One wrote:
    My favourite band ever is Metallica and I still love them but am not as much into other metal bands as I used to be. My Pantera, Machine Head, Amen etc albums are not getting an airing as much as they would have a few years ago.
    Get yourself Machine Head's most recent album The Blackening if you haven't already.

Just something I've noticed out of the bands listed already, if the OP is a fan of stuff in the same vein as Metallica why recommend stuff like Cannibal Corpse or Prostitute Disfigurement? Chances are the OP isn't going to like them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

I found Rateyourmusic.com very helpfull it has charts for all genres of metal and of course metalireland.com

• Advertisement

Malice wrote: »
    Get yourself Machine Head's most recent album The Blackening if you haven't already.

Just something I've noticed out of the bands listed already, if the OP is a fan of stuff in the same vein as Metallica why recommend stuff like Cannibal Corpse or Prostitute Disfigurement? Chances are the OP isn't going to like them at all.

Since I mentioned Cannibal Corpse and Prostitute Disfigurement, maybe I mentioned them to show the OP some alternatives, like to broaden his/her horizon ;)

Anyway, another good overview can be found here: http://www.metal-archives.com

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Since I mentioned Cannibal Corpse and Prostitute Disfigurement, maybe I mentioned them to show the OP some alternatives, like to broaden his/her horizon ;)
    I'm not sure the OP was looking to broaden their horizons that much but I could be wrong.
    Lars1916 wrote:
    Anyway, another good overview can be found here: http://www.metal-archives.com
    That site is fine if you know what you're looking for, not if you're looking for recommendations. That's where we come in :).

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Thanks for all the suggestions, will check out those links. Yeah, I'm not so much looking to broaden my horizons into other genres as just hear about new bands in the same genre.
    I have albums knocking around from ten or more years back when I was into all sorts, things like Morbid Angel, Cathederal, Fear Factory, my God there's even a Cradle of Filth album in there! But these days I'm happy enough with big rock tracks.
    I know I must be missing out on loads of great rock bands, new or old, and was just looking to have some names thrown at me. Oh and cheers Malice, I will have a listen to The Blackening, I used to love Machine Head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I'm not sure the OP was looking to broaden their horizons that much but I could be wrong.

That site is fine if you know what you're looking for, not if you're looking for recommendations. That's where we come in :).

Metal Archives has a handy search on the left for "bands by genre". Also cross links to other bands that members are in or have been.

And that you mentioned Metallica, so search for some 'thrash' in the genre type and just randomly click on any one of them (or one you might know to start off).

For example Gene Hoglan who's currently in Fear Factory is in the following.
    Gene Hoglan - Drums (2009-) (Daemon (Dnk), Dark Angel (USA), Death, Dethklok, Devin Townsend, Forbidden (USA), Just Cause, Meldrum, Naphobia, Old Man's Child, Phantasm, Pitch Black Forecast, Tenet, Strapping Young Lad, Testament, Unearth, Wargod (USA), Zimmers Hole, Mechanism (Can))

(I've bolded bands above that you might like to check out OP).

Personally I think the best way to find about a new band is either sites like this or myspace. Check out a few tunes\genres\bands and what they're like. This would halt these "recommend me" threads turning in to lists of peoples favourite bands.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Metal Archives has a handy search on the left for "bands by genre". Also cross links to other bands that members are in or have been.
    Good post, I actually had never used the "Bands by Genre" search so it's great that I know about it now :).
    chin_grin wrote:
    Personally I think the best way to find about a new band is either sites like this or myspace. Check out a few tunes\genres\bands and what they're like. This would halt these "recommend me" threads turning in to lists of peoples favourite bands.
    There is also Music Map which can be handy for finding bands that sound like other bands.

Out of curiosity chin_grin is there any particular reason you recommend Strapping Young Lad but not Zimmer's Hole or The Devin Townsend band given that they share a few members?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Don't forget the trusty last.fm too, it's good for finding newer bands, particularly if you have the sub for the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

To repeat a poster above, Mastodon.

"the greatest metal band of their generation-no one else comes close" - Rolling Stone

Out of curiosity chin_grin is there any particular reason you recommend Strapping Young Lad but not Zimmer's Hole or The Devin Townsend band given that they share a few members?

None at all! Personal preference I suppose.......:o
    Denny M wrote: »
    Don't forget the trusty last.fm too, it's good for finding newer bands, particularly if you have the sub for the radio.

Also Radiosure (http://www.radiosure.com/). Download and install that.

You can stream internet radio by genre. Also it'll come up with the name of the tune that's playing so stick it on in the background and when you hear a song you like just take a look at the title bar of the program. It'll also let you record from the station too. Quite handy.

None at all! Personal preference I suppose.......:o
    Heh, nothing wrong with that :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Also, lots and lots of Animals As Leaders, in my opinion the best metal band to come around in the last few years that isn't extreme metal.

And forgive me R&M, but am I the only person who got the Hall and Oakes song in my head when reading the thread title?? :o

Nailz wrote: »
    am I the only person who got the Hall and Oakes song in my head when reading the thread title?? :o
    Well I've never heard of Hall and Oakes but I have heard of Hall and Oates :p. Anyway, no, the song title never came into my head. It's just you!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

Also Radiosure (http://www.radiosure.com/). Download and install that.
    You can stream internet radio by genre.
    I've downloaded it but it says cannot connect for whatever I try stream. :confused:
    There is also Music Map which can be handy for finding bands that sound like other bands.
    That's really cool, cheers, makes a great team with Metal Archives and Wiki!
    Denny M wrote: »
    I will have a look at that next, cheers.

Thanks to everyone for posting, plenty of homework for me in this thread!

Six of One wrote: »
    I've downloaded it but it says cannot connect for whatever I try stream. :confused:

Hmm. Have you tried a few stations? I know for me a few wouldn't connect because they weren't "live" any more.

You can also do a search for any metal stations via google and add them to radiosure.

• Advertisement

Some other bands you might want to check out as well given the Pantera reference from your first post are Down (featuring Phil Anselmo and Rex Brown), Hellyeah (featuring Vinny Paul) and of course Damageplan (featuring Vinny Paul and the sadly-departed Dimebag Darrell).

Also check out Christians Vs Lions, I saw them last week in Galway and they were easily the best band on the night.

I just remembered a good band from Germany: Dew Scented :cool:

Especially on stage some very good stuff :D

Well I've never heard of Hall and Oakes but I have heard of Hall and Oates :p. Anyway, no, the song title never came into my head. It's just you!
    Damn you grammar Nazi, in my defence I was tired. :o I'll take pride in my musical diversity... :pac:

Advertisement