Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Catcher in the Rye any Good?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

Where do the ducks go?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I read it twice. Once when I was maybe 15 or so and then again when I was about 21/22. It was like reading two completely different books. I think other posters have touched on it already but when you're younger and read it, it's kind of like an inspiration. I remember finding Holden hilarious and thinking it'd be great to live like that. The second time I read it, being that bit older I didn't find him as inspirational, I felt quite sorry for him.
    That said I thoroughly enjoyed it both times I read it. I'd say give it a go now but if you find yourself not really liking it put it away for a year or two and try again because I think it's one that changes with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I read it when I was a teenager (apparently this is the done thing?) and I found it quite boring and generally thought he was a bit arrogant and irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Read it and decide for yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭TheoBoone

Catcher is a very short book, so even if you don't like it you'll be finsihed it in a few hours. It's most definitly worth a day(two at the most) of your reading time. You might not love it, but I doubt your going to come away feeling like it was a waste of your time.

With a classic like this I think it's always a good idea to read it and see if you can understand why there's so much hype about it(notable exception to this rule is Tolstoys War and Peace....F**k that book!!!!!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I find it to be a book which I take something new from every time I read it. My favourite part however, is always when Holden discusses how every time he visits the museum he is happy to see nothing has changed but sad that he himself is a different person than he was the week before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I found a copy on the street about 20 years ago, brought it home and put it on a shelf and there it sat until one day last year I suddenly found myself with nothing to read (hate when that happens). I started it and loved it. I'd rate it as one of the books I've enjoyed most.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I have read it about 30 times! I love this book and its my most favourite book in the world! I can't recommend it enough. Enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Started reading it the other day, about half way through - so far very good. With the amount of mention it gets I was expecting something a bit pretentious, but it's actually quite good, accessible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭grumula

JD Salinger once remarked that The Catcher in the Rye was written for adults, and I agree with him. Not to dismiss the 16 year olds who read the book, but I do think that that book's generally misunderstood and held up as something it's.

The main character, Holden Caulfield, is almost certainty meant to be ironic; i.e., he's just as phony as the people he derides. There are lots of examples of this in the book. But he is considered, by the average teen who gets reads it and likes it, to be a hero and a role model. And the influence of the book on people has effects that I think the author would not like. There is this fundamental misunderstanding of what the book is really saying, and what it's really promoting.

To answer the OP's question, JD Salinger is an excellent writer. Given the concerns above I'd stay away from The Catcher in the Rye until you've a bit more of a handle on Salinger and, indeed, life itself. I recommend his brilliant collection of short stories For Esme With Love and Squalor instead.

^agreeing with this 98%^

Catcher was how i got into Salinger.
    It's funny, charming, and the dialogue style really ups the tempo.
    You'll probably have it read in a night, I have no idea why this novel gets so much stick! It might be reactionary because so many american teenagers thought of the protagonist as an antihero back in the day, missing the point somewhat imo.
    but do give it a go, classics and modern classics are such for a reason, because they're lauded, and it's always good to have your own opinion on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Tiffy6666

I'm fifteen and an extract of it was on my JC mocks and I thought it was really good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

I read it when i was about 18 and loved it- i re-bought a copy after Salinger's death (my original copy was loaned out and never returned) and have it there to re-read. It's on my list of books to be revisited shortly

In relation to the OP, there probably aren't many things that the writers of South Park haven't ripped asunder at some point- including things they actually like. So i wouldn't put too much stock into what the writers think are cool. Especially in relation to literature.

Advertisement