Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

computer monitor advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I bought a new tv/pc monitor and after doing some research about the contrast ratio, i understand it to mean that for dark or night scenes the higher the ratio you have the better to see whats going on.

I reckon for ordinary joe soaps anything around 10,000:1 is quite good unless perhaps your getting a big tv and into HD and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

anybody else have an opinion?

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Short answer is don't worry about it. Choose one with a LED backlight as they use less power. That aside these numbers are frequently nonsense for budget TN panels.

Contrast can be rigged to artificially high levels by turning up the brightness to uncomfortable levels or a glossy coating on the screen. 1000:1 is fine as most of us will set brightness to half of the max or less if we've to read from it for hours. Laptop screens are usually only 50:1 or so.

The pixel response times can refer to the amount of time to switch from pixel on to pixel off or many other things. It's meant to give an impression of whether you'll see a very short-lived tiny ghost following fast moving objects in games/films because pixels don't change colour immediately, instead taking a fiftieth of a second to change to the background colour. It was an issue for gamers with the first thin panels. Pretty insignificant nowadays, but advertising people still exaggerate it downward. In reality it'll probably be 3 times the advertised number and you'll not have an issue.

If you were into graphic design then you might need a better quality panel like an IPS based one, and use colour calibrator, but you'd be paying 3-4 times as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Pixmania customer service is terrible, buy somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

thanks for the replies guys, looks like the LED monitor that I linked to above has dropped further to €129

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/4942027/art/lg/e2250v-pn-22-widescreen-t.html

I think thats pretty good for an LED monitor.

Wonder how much delivery is from pixmania or can i collect it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement