Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTN - Anyone Watching?

Options
  • 24-03-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

So yeah, I'm involved in the society. I'm just wondering if anyone here is watching. There's two new series out this year and we're always trying to up the output, so just wondering if anyone's watching? (Yeah, there's viewing stats, but you don't hear much back in the way of feedback or comment generally).

Actually I think the new comedy series High Vis is the best thing CTN have done yet. It's got a half decent premise, but mostly it's well edited and put together - something that matters to us if not always appreciated. Here's a shameless link - http://ctn.ie/?p=1284

So if anyone's been watching, let me know what the buzz is like out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i watch when i have time. tis grand, the cathal years are unmatched imo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

I watched all of the Ur College Degree because I thought it was hilariously bad. No offence intended but you did ask for feedback. I'm sure the actors would be quite good in something else, but I just thought the script was quite cringeworthy in places. And the unnatural accents didnt help

Sowwi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Not really no. Don't really have the time, and have other things I watch with the time I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭James_sb

So pretty much, to get people to watch, there'd have to be a reason besides the content. Competitions perhaps? Like win Tickets to the UCD ball or some such?

Raphael wrote: »
    Not really no. Don't really have the time, and have other things I watch with the time I do.

Yeah I get that. Man with YouTube channels, BBC news, 4OD, SideReel etc... why would you be looking for more entertainment stuff. Only for I'm involved, I probably would only switch to CTN if someone I knew told me there was something worth checking out on it.
    I watched all of the Ur College Degree because I thought it was hilariously bad. No offence intended but you did ask for feedback. I'm sure the actors would be quite good in something else, but I just thought the script was quite cringeworthy in places. And the unnatural accents didnt help

Sowwi!

Ha ha.. I've heard all that before. Was more an exercise in getting a project completed that one (I know because Ur College Degree was my contribution, and I've never written anything before or since - Third episode came out best though because it was pretty much a Felix Da Housecat music video). But since then, the Belfield of Dreams was a much better script, and it's kept up with two new series this year, so it's something that makes sure CTN earns it's grant money from UCD every year, so it's good that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

Bring back belfield of dreams I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Pile of D4 producing some cringe worthy programmes. No thanks I'll pass.

Pile of D4 producing some cringe worthy programmes. No thanks I'll pass.

What are you talking about man?

There's only 3 people from Dublin south in the crew page (http://ctn.ie/?page_id=406) and that's surprisingly low considering UCD is IN Dublin south. In fact there's 4 foreign students in there, which is more than the Dublin south number, not that it matters anyway.

Have you ever actually looked at the CTN site before making this assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 likelydropout

I watch one video on the FAD fashion show and it I couldn't decide if the presenter was ripping the piss about stereotypical south side Dublin girls or not...........either way she came across absolutely cringe worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I watch one video on the FAD fashion show and it I couldn't decide if the presenter was ripping the piss about stereotypical south side Dublin girls or not...........either way she came across absolutely cringe worthy.

I resent that, we have no D4s and in fact we've two fine culchies on the committee too.

I thought people were over D4s..

Sometimes you'll find that the experience level of certain members is higher than others, but that's all part of the learning curve. At the end of the day, CTN is a student society that tries to get people involved and learning how to make shows from pre-production right through to promotion. So as a rule, anything that gets completed, goes up on the website.

It's more for the members to have something to show and be proud of doing, and to learn from the experience and even the criticism. After that, CTN spends some money to try promote the website and get viewers onto it with the bigger shows like 'High Vis' and the drama series. The rest is usually word of mouth, referral views from other videos and facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

The Hardy Bucks want their story back.

It is a big improvement from previous series though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ThePhilipify

Have to admit, comparing CTN this year to what it was doing last year is a big improvement, especially with High Vis, and the drama is a fair step forward, so its progressing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

To be honest, it's a waste of time. If they're trying to be a broadcast channel, how many televisions are there in UCD? Otherwise they're more youtube fodder.

Red Alert wrote: »
    To be honest, it's a waste of time. If they're trying to be a broadcast channel, how many televisions are there in UCD? Otherwise they're more youtube fodder.

The format can be very similar to YouTube certainly, but with
    - one laptop for editing,
    - no professionally trained or full time members,
    - and still no society office to work from,
    I think we're doing pretty well to
    - keep the society going, active and constantly recruiting and getting views,
    - have weekly meetings with training workshops,
    - working to a professional work-flow system,
    - having 2 TV series going at the moment,
    - manage the website
    and everything else that CTN does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

I resent that, we have no D4s and in fact we've two fine culchies on the committee too.

I thought people were over D4s..

D4 is a mindset. You don't have to have been raised in Blackrock or Irishtown (lol) to be a D4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

D4 is a mindset. You don't have to have been raised in Blackrock or Irishtown (lol) to be a D4

Blackrock is in County Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Fad wrote: »
    Blackrock is in County Dublin...

True enough. Irishtown is however, and the fantastically well made point by yours truly still very much stands. Thanking you.

Advertisement