Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mince

Options
  • 24-03-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

hey i bought some mince yesterday and i forgot all about it in the fridge.just seen it there now and i think its going to go brown shortly or has already started.had hoped to make some shephards pie yesterday or today but didnt.is it safe to use,should i cook it tonight

suggestions//////

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Could be going brown if your fridge is really cold. Take it out and if it begins to turn pink again after a little while should be ok. It would be suprising that it would go off a day after purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭smallgarden

if you bought it fresh it should last few days in the fridge.
    bordbia says Fresh meat will keep 3 - 5 days in the fridge. Cooked meat 5 - 7 days but that depends on how fresh it was to start, whether it had use by date etc

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

It should be fine tomorrow - in all my years of buying and cooking mince, I've never yet given myself a tummy upset (touch wood) even though I have before now cooked mince that's a bit grey on the outside of the lump, but red in the middle. If you're really worried you could fry it off tonight and then make your shepherds pie tomorrow. Either way, it should be OK. Just make sure you cook it thoroughly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

If it's in a plastic bag take it out and keep it in paper bag or kitchen roll. Should not be gone off unless it was already a couple of days in shop. Check 'best before' on label.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

open it and smell it. you'll know if it's gone off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement