Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Got my first year class to undertake a project to decorate a number of old/scrapped bikes to place along the route of the Rás into Portumna (stage finish on Sunday). While we were up against the clock and working with limited resources we had great fun and at least everyone in the town now knows the Rás is coming on Sunday. I have placed pics of a few of them here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

michaelm wrote: »
    Got my first year class to undertake a project to decorate a number of old/scrapped bikes to place along the route of the Rás into Portumna (stage finish on Sunday). While we were up against the clock and working with limited resources we had great fun and at least everyone in the town now knows the Rás is coming on Sunday. I have placed pics of a few of them here
    Brilliant

Looks like it is going to be very tough going for the first 2 days at least, the wind speed and direction could hardly be much worse. Will be interesting to see the affect on the race schedule.

Nice promo video by An Post/Sean Kelly here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Dean Downing of Rapha Condor wins the first stage from Sam Bennett

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Any tv coverage this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

judging by the finishing time, that was an average speed of just under 39km/h, that's some going given the wind conditions today:eek:

Some pics from the finish:

www.flickr.com/photos/mmolamphy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

@michaelm, you have some really fantastic pictures on you flicker account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Dean Downing of Rapha Condor wins the first stage from Sam Bennett

Hey moderator, where is the bleedin spoiler you're always ****e-ing on about?!?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Hey moderator, where is the bleedin spoiler you're always ****e-ing on about?!?

When's the delayed coverage?

EDIT - we didn't use them last year, but if you want them this year we can oblige (it just tends to irritate people having to look through the spoiler "shield", and as there is certainly no live coverage there's very little point in having stage specific threads) - oh and we didn't use tham for the RAI either;)

Something on at 8 pm on rte tomorrow I think

That's great, but in terms of spoilers they only tend to be used until midnight on the day of the stage. However if posters want them to be included, as I said we could oblige

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

snollup wrote: »
    @michaelm, you have some really fantastic pictures on you flicker account.
    +1 on that. Some fab shots. Thanks

No bother beasty. Just thought I'd take it to the man for the craic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Nope. RTE 1 next Monday, after the whole race is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Was just reading this: http://www.irishprocycling.com/news/post/downing-edges-out-bennett-win-ras-opener (SPOILERS!)

But could someone explain how the GC is different to the Stage results? Were there time bonuses available throughout? For sprints/KoM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Yes time bonuses available through the stage

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

What was with the stop/restart near the end cos of a crash. Why did the commisaire need to restart it? If you fall you fall, tough. Ruined the finish of the stage if u ask me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The crash was about 40 riders back. Around 130 riders stuck behind it, road completely blocked. Tough call for the commisaire really, most races would not be stopped but maybe they were just being cautious after the horror crash last year, or perhaps they just didn't want a bunch of riders to lose huge amounts of time on day one and try keep the race exciting for the week. An unfortunate situation, I bet the guys who were shelled out the back and got back on during the pause werent complaining !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

HurlyBurly wrote: »
    What was with the stop/restart near the end cos of a crash. Why did the commisaire need to restart it? If you fall you fall, tough. Ruined the finish of the stage if u ask me

from
    http://sport.irishexaminer.com/post/2011/05/22/Drama-aplenty-on-opening-day-of-the-Ras.aspx
    From there out, it was mostly plain sailing until a large crash occurred with seven kilometres to go.

Bodies piled on bodies – I think the mass of riders almost reached two meters.

I was one of the last to fall and fortunately didn't suffer any damage.

mihgt have something to do with it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Daily highlights from this years RAS -

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/video/27162/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

I was at the finish yesterday in Portumna. Got chatting to a few locals before the finish who predicted the crash half an hour before it happened.. Apparently the road works at the bridge where the crash occured were an accident waiting to happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Average speed 32km/hr with the main bunch over 13 mins down at the moment, sounds like proper carnage alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

nomadic wrote: »
    Average speed 32km/hr with the main bunch over 13 mins down at the moment, sounds like proper carnage alright.

thats good news for the county riders trying to survive for the week, a day at training pace will mean a lot to their legs come end of week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

00833827 wrote: »
    thats good news for the county riders trying to survive for the week, a day at training pace will mean a lot to their legs come end of week

I'd say its anything but training pace into that wind.

I was at the finish yesterday in Portumna. Got chatting to a few locals before the finish who predicted the crash half an hour before it happened.. Apparently the road works at the bridge where the crash occured were an accident waiting to happen...

Just for the record the accident happened about 4km before the bridge. But you are correct - everyone was expecting an accident there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

@michaelm: Thanks for that... shows how inaccurate the bush telegraph can be! There were a few damaged and bloodied bodies at the finish after that pile up. Pity it couldn't have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Here in Kilrush, we tried to do a good cycle today but with this phenominal wind we ended up doing 35km and called it a day. We've been told the ETA is 15h50, with this wind I can't see how a breakaway could work.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Hey is the Ras televised at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Hightlights only on Monday 30 at 8pm

http://www.rte.ie/sport/sportontv.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

uploaded photos to my flickr account, search for CaptainHavoc, photos are dodgey.

EDIT: Direct link

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

Lucifer-0 wrote: »
    Hey is the Ras televised at all?

This will help get you to Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

watched the race myself today in lahinch. the wind was unreal!! hard to stand up straight!! fair play to all the riders! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

The Crunch wrote: »
    This will help get you to Monday.

From the finish line footage, Dean Downing didn't look like he was legal in the sprint. HUGE pull to the left with ~150m to go.

Ryan's verbal report from Stage 1:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Todays stage was savage.
    Head-Winds from the start and it broke up slowly , painfully and with large times gaps.
    At one stage into a head wind the bunch was doing less than 18kph!!
    Some tired bodies floating about..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭conamara

Today's Shane Stokes update stream

Seems to be plenty of action again

Ryan's Stage 2 video report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I like his reports. I wish they were longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Raam wrote: »
    I like his reports. I wish they were longer.

Sounded like he was interrupted towards the end by the vampires knocking on the door...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Great to see my former team-mate Derek Finnegan in the break! :)
    Hopefully they can hang on to the finish!

Stage 3 result and overall standings:
    Stage 3, Kilrush – Castleisland:

1, Nikolay Mihaylov(France AVC Aix en Provence) 4 hours 13 mins 50 secs
    2, Oleksandr Sheydyk(Ukraine ISD-Lampre Continental) same time
    3, Peter Williams(Britain Motorpoint) at 15 secs
    4, Marcel Barth(Germany Thuringer Energie)
    5, Floris Goesinnen(Australia Drapac Cycling)
    6, Gediminas Bagdonas(Belgium An Post Sean Kelly)
    7, Salvador Guardiola(Greece KTM Murica)
    8, Aaron Gate(New Zealand National Team)
    9, Simon Richardson(Britain Sigma Specialized Team)
    10, James McCallum(Britain Rapha Condor Sharp) all same time

General classification:

1, Gediminas Bagdonas(Belgium An Post Sean Kelly) 12 hours 56 mins 16 secs
    2, Oleksandr Sheydyk(Ukraine ISD-Lampre Continental) at 1 min 16 secs
    3, Nikolay Mihaylov(France AVC Aix en Provence) same time
    4, Peter Williams(Britain Motorpoint) at 1 min 27 secs
    5, Simon Richardson(Britain Sigma Specialized Team) at 1 min 31 secs
    6, Aaron Gate(New Zealand National Team)
    7, Floris Goesinnen(Australia Drapac Cycling) both same time
    8, Shane Archbold(New Zealand National Team) at 2 mins 17 secs
    9, Stuart Shaw(Australia Drapac Cycling) at 2 mins 21 secs
    10, Anatoliy Pakhtusov(Ukraine ISD-Lampre Continental) same time

Mountains: Guardiola

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Beached

Was at the Top of the Crag climb today for the ras.. Good position as the race passed twice from different directions. I took a few photos with my phone but the quality wasn't great.

Today really struck me how international the race has become. The main escape group had very few irish or county riders involved. And it seemed to be a race of two peletons. The headwind is probably not helping the county riders though.

Good day all the same, there was a presentation at the end for a Dublin Cyclist who was completing his 25th Ras in 27 years. Didnt get his name though. Roll on the Healy pass tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

Beached wrote: »
    Roll on the Healy pass tomorrow

I might head down to the pass on the bike (motorised wan) tomorrow. Any idea what time the road closes, re opens ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement