Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ras 2011

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Great win today from Martyn Irvine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

RobFowl wrote: »
    Great win today from Martyn Irvine :D

looks like the County lads go it quite hard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Delighted at an Irish stage win and that it was Irvine. He deserves a rest now so he needn't bother showing up for the Swords league on Wednesday night!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

morana wrote: »
    looks like the County lads go it quite hard?

It's by far the hardest RAS I've been on. The county riders are struggling hard but rising to the challenge.

The Commisaires are doing a good job of identifying the "hangers on" as well ;)

I've been particularly impressed with Sean Downey and the Irish team management (really riding as a team).

Robin Kelly has been aggressive as well and a good few of the county riders are giving it a go with decent attacks rather than just following the race.

Though when the hammer goes down it shatters the field. Good few Pro team riders are getting it rough too.....

PS Good luck Beasty it'll be nice to be 80% as good as the best rather than 60%......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭buffalo

Only noticed yesterday that thejournal.ie has been running photos each day of the Rás. Below made me laugh out loud.
    Marcel Barth of the German Thuringer Energie Team crosses the finish line in an unorthadox style.

inpho_00516122-630x426.jpg

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/in-pictures-stage-seven-of-the-an-post-ras-145120-May2011/#slide-slideshow8

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/in-pictures-day-six-of-the-an-post-ras-144717-May2011/

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/topic/an-post-ras/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Gene Mangan (hope he's OK with this being posted....)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27pines/5765499867/in/photostream/

A few other pics from todays finish..............featuring a few faces.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27pines/

The man whom Gene is talking to here is father of Tim Barry - his first name escapes me - and he rode in the Rás in the 50s also with Gene. He was very highly placed when he crased out on one Rás. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27pines/5765499867/in/photostream/ )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

well done to Marty he was away in the brake from 10k out then jumped clear with about 15k to go when it was apparent the brake would be caught to hang on to win the stage the man must not feel pain,
    an post done all the riding back the road to bring it all back together in the end its hard to see them losing the yellow now but this is the ras their are still 8 riders within 1,30

http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/killalanerr/ras%202011%20day%207/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Can someone else post a link, using a nokia, a little tipsy to find the news and copy paste here!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

buffalo wrote: »
    Only noticed yesterday that thejournal.ie has been running photos each day of the Rás. Below made me laugh out loud.

That's cheating - the UCI banned the "Superman" position because it made Obree look too good:D

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

What happened to Ryans examiner reports?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Tail wind today? I guess arrival in skerries at 14:45 is about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Tail wind today? I guess arrival in skerries at 14:45 is about right?

Not sure of finish time, but there will be laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Raam wrote: »
    Not sure of finish time, but there will be laps.

didn;t spot that. First entry to circuit 45mins before the end./..

Marshalling the final corner today, so got a great view of the action

First time round David McCann and another rider were 3 minutes up on the main bunch - by the second time McCann was on his own and the second rider was just being caught. McCann's lead was still 2 minutes though.

Heard via race radio that his lead was down to 32s with about 4km to then someone said it was 4s, but it was quickly corrected to 24s, and McCann managed to stay away to take the stage victory by almost the length of the home straight

Great couple of days for the Irish guys in the Giant Kenda team and McCann may have been a lot closer to the overall winner Bagdonas but for a crash earlier in the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Marshalled at entrance to Churchfield estate today. McCann did well.must have really pushed it up Ardgillan to drop the other rider with him. Was Sean Kelly around today?

Went out to watch at Cross of the Cage and Black Hills/Ardgillan. McCann must've been pushing it hard, first time through with Horton they were well ahead by three minutes, and second occasion he'd dropped Horton. Last time around the peloton were closing fast, but very glad to hear he got the win.

Got a few shots, not sure how they came out, but will post some later.

Saw bcmf out there again. Same time, same place next year? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

buffalo wrote: »

Saw bcmf out there again. Same time, same place next year? :)

Sure why not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Have loads of pics from today. Will post up soon. Isn't Sean Kelly in Italy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat Kavanagh

Thanks god for two great Irish victories over the last two days. It's not that I'm against foreign professionals Vs Irish professionals or elite County riders, but the Rás this year had become such a YAWN. I just didn't know any of the people in the action.
    I went to Castleisland to support the County guys I know on the Crag Cave climb and they weren't even left into the final circut - so that summed up this year's Rás for me.
    But there were two reall great 'Rás' victories over the final two days.
    And fair play to the winner - he seemed to have had really ridden really hard himself on Friday(?) to save the jersey when he was isolated except for Bennett. It was great also for Kelly/an Post.

Some pics of the KOM at Black Hills /Ardgillan courtesy of Mrs. bcmf

1024.jpg?md=1306704052000
    1024.jpg?md=1306704096000
    1024.jpg?md=1306704118000
    1024.jpg?md=1306704161000
    1024.jpg?md=1306704293000
    1024.jpg?md=1306704369000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The Barnardos rider there (4th man back), Michael Duffy, super rider and only 20 years old. Definitely a star in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I was at the finish today and heard David McCanns bike was robbed off the team car, When the presentation was going on,
    anybody hear anything ?

bcmf wrote: »

hehe! Spot the boards.ie jersey! :D Nice shots.

Mine are up at http://www.flickr.com/photos/brianmca/sets/72157626835833516/, below are some favourites:

5773152613_a90a4e1cfa.jpg
    David McCann, stage winner

5773154335_e24becebe6.jpg
    Tobyn Horton, who was with McCann in the breakaway

5773159521_26ca312f36.jpg
    Sam Bennett leading a chase group

5773699784_ff12c1686e.jpg
    Mark Cassidy (can someone confirm?) with yellow jersey

5773163035_1b4e366ffc.jpg
    Bagdonas

5773704454_c4c44aa32b.jpg
    I think this is Wang Yin Chin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

well thats it for an other year,its getting harder for the county riders but still 2 Irish stage wins so we are holding our own,super turn out in skerries well done to all envolved ,

@ J Madone a bike fell from a rack during the stage not sure if it was found nobody seen it fall :(

pics http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy327/killalanerr/ras%202011%20day%208%20skerries/

great pics Buffalo

a bike fell from a rack during the stage not sure if it was found nobody seen it fall :(
    Could it have been somewhere near the KOM line at Ardgillan (Strange things happen to Ras bikes around there;))

On a completely unrelated matter, how's the bike collection coming along bcmf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I'm really enjoying the round up on RTE 2 TV now:)

• Advertisement

Greenman wrote: »
    I'm really enjoying the round up on RTE 2 TV now:)
    Tuned in just in time to see my elbow and red flag as McCann was taking the final bend into the home straight ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Any idea when this might be on the RTE Player anyone ?

Junior wrote: »

Usually takes a couple of hours - two or three.

There you go now - http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099612

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

It's up now.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099612

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

If anyone missed this - this is a message from David McCann

"Missing / Stolen Giant TCR advanced bike. Distinctive Square shaped Down(Diagonal tube), Sram RED shifters. Mavic Carbon cosmic rear wheel with PowerTAP hub.shallow alloy front wheel. distinctive 'Ridea' brand oval shaped TT chainset"

This was after the RAS on Sunday.

Also, for those interested, I have my race files (inc power) up for the RAS. I set no power PBs (or close to it) this year. Less sustained climbing would be the main reason for that. (395W for 12 minutes @ 73kg to stay with the front 20 riders over a 5% 'Cat 1' for example) HR data is off for a few of the days (interference)

http://ryansherlock.blogspot.com/2011/05/2011-anpost-ras-race-files-and-articles.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 nattefrost

had great crack down in kildare town on sunday morning. any rider that i approched was happy to get pictures taken and have a chat. everything went smoothly apart from the olde lad on his way home from mass who managed to get in amongst the cars and couldnt take the hint to pull over, funny stuff. nice way to spend a sunday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Ok. Maybe it was in the video blog, but I think he has expressed that sentiment a few times. I hope it's not taken as criticism - it's probably the 'professional' way to ride, but I am just wondering if the 'county team' category actually means anything to many of the 'county teams' as they are are not actually county teams at all??

Pat ,
    I think the county prize was in the bag when the Dan Morrisey guys made the split in the cross winds out of Gort?

There is still plenty of pride within county teams, on the second last day the Mayo team with kanturk drove a group for about 100K, the mayo guys to defend second place in the county competition and kanturk to jump up a place from near the bottom of the county teams.

But for the most part county riders are hanging on? None wear able to compete with the pros. I think County riders are now just a bit of filler to bulk out a mainly Pro race?
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Many of the guys I know who are on county teams are also full time cyclists be it through choice or are unemployed etc. Donegal Spotactiv had at least three full timers UCD had 2 and that's of the ones I know.

What sort of numbers are guys with full time jobs kids etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Why not ask some of the county riders instead of spouting endless speculation about what they or don't think of themselves.

Why not ask some of the county riders instead of spouting endless speculation about what they or don't think of themselves.

You don't mean talk to them face to face do you ????

This is the internet and we don't usually interact like that ;)

Seriously though, Plenty of the Guy's I met this year were working full time (some in high profile jobs) and has kids, mortgages, wives etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

There are a bunch of county riders that are basically full time cyclists (unemployment, former Pros etc...), there are also a hell of a lot that work part time of varying amounts. Me, I work 3-5 days per week depending if I'm abroad etc... And then the bulk that have a pretty normal work/family life that make it through by sheer determination - hats off to those guys.

My health wasn't the best this last while, but I don't think podiuming on a stage or Top 5 overall in the Ras is not possible for a county rider. It would have been my goals which I wouldn't have seen as unrealistic if I was in my top form. On stage 7, I was hoping we would stay away over the cat 1 climb as me sprinting from a bunch of 20 climbers is much nicer than a bunch of 60 with sprinters thrown in. I also messed up big time in stage 4 with 500m to go in the sprint... a lost top 5 chance for me. That's racing :)

Sean Kelly and others have talked about this many times, but I believe a later Ras would help the county riders a huge amount... Say, mid July - 2 weeks after Nationals...

For people working full time, putting the training in needed for a late May race in the winter is so difficult - it is bright now till 10... easier to fit the long rides in around work. You could see from day 5 on that the built up fatigue was setting in - county riders where VERY competitive for the first few days.

Another thing to consider is that in general the county teams don't ride as a team - for instance, no leadout trains for guys in races etc... like the Pro teams do - not because people are riding for themselves, just not organized enough... How many times have I seen a leadout of more than 1 rider in an Irish race for a sprinter? With the amount of bunch sprints we have... crazy...

Also, the county GC/Team stuff was very important but a top placing was gone after split on the second stage (yeah, I was devastated) - from there, you ride differently, your focus is more, 6 1 day races, less a continuation. On Stage 3 I was in a break of 6 for 80km (reeled in with 40k to go) - when we hit the Crag Cave climb, I wasn't in the position to contend for a win, so you don't kill yourself so you can be better the following day in the mountains (where I was in the lead group). If I was up on GC, it would have been different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

I though it was still called the 'Milk Rás'? Or is the Milk Rás a different race?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Worztron wrote: »
    I though it was still called the 'Milk Rás'? Or is the Milk Rás a different race?

Same race, sponsor changed over the years: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%A1s_Tailteann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

There are a bunch of county riders that are basically full time cyclists (unemployment, former Pros etc...), there are also a hell of a lot that work part time of varying amounts. Me, I work 3-5 days per week depending if I'm abroad etc... And then the bulk that have a pretty normal work/family life that make it through by sheer determination - hats off to those guys.

My health wasn't the best this last while, but I don't think podiuming on a stage or Top 5 overall in the Ras is not possible for a county rider. It would have been my goals which I wouldn't have seen as unrealistic if I was in my top form. On stage 7, I was hoping we would stay away over the cat 1 climb as me sprinting from a bunch of 20 climbers is much nicer than a bunch of 60 with sprinters thrown in. I also messed up big time in stage 4 with 500m to go in the sprint... a lost top 5 chance for me. That's racing :)

Sean Kelly and others have talked about this many times, but I believe a later Ras would help the county riders a huge amount... Say, mid July - 2 weeks after Nationals...

For people working full time, putting the training in needed for a late May race in the winter is so difficult - it is bright now till 10... easier to fit the long rides in around work. You could see from day 5 on that the built up fatigue was setting in - county riders where VERY competitive for the first few days.

Another thing to consider is that in general the county teams don't ride as a team - for instance, no leadout trains for guys in races etc... like the Pro teams do - not because people are riding for themselves, just not organized enough... How many times have I seen a leadout of more than 1 rider in an Irish race for a sprinter? With the amount of bunch sprints we have... crazy...

Also, the county GC/Team stuff was very important but a top placing was gone after split on the second stage (yeah, I was devastated) - from there, you ride differently, your focus is more, 6 1 day races, less a continuation. On Stage 3 I was in a break of 6 for 80km (reeled in with 40k to go) - when we hit the Crag Cave climb, I wasn't in the position to contend for a win, so you don't kill yourself so you can be better the following day in the mountains (where I was in the lead group). If I was up on GC, it would have been different.

A very good post Ryan!.

I think a county rider can compete but you really need to be dedicated from the day you start winter training. Paddy Moriarty was a good example of a good rider who was working full time as an engineer and consistenly finished best domestic rider.

You have to accept the guys you are racing against have a couple of races similar to the ras in their legs already in that season so it is difficult. Added to the fact that it will be the first time you do a (real) long race you can guess how difficult it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

My missus used to work for the National Dairy Council when they sponsred the Ras. Stages were picked to be in towns with big creameries. Then FBD became joint sponsors and the NDC phased back. NDC now focus on more high profile sports using FAI and Paul O'connell for example.

I still hear it called the Milk Ras but probably 10 years since they sponsored it.

shaungil wrote: »
    My missus used to work for the National Dairy Council when they sponsred the Ras. Stages were picked to be in towns with big creameries. Then FBD became joint sponsors and the NDC phased back. NDC now focus on more high profile sports using FAI and Paul O'connell for example.

I still hear it called the Milk Ras but probably 10 years since they sponsored it.
    So who are you riding it with next year ??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

What does "Rás Tailteann" mean?

I know that Rás means race but what is "Tailteann"?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

What does "Rás Tailteann" mean?

I know that Rás means race but what is "Tailteann"?

Tailteann were an ancient Irish sporting games like the highland games. The race hasn't been called that since at least 1984 AFAIK and certainly not any time recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

http://goireland.about.com/od/historyculture/qt/gg_tailteann.htm

Games held to honour the ancient celtic Queen, Tailte, mother of Lugh of the Silver Arm.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

The ancient games were named in honour of Queen Tailtiu. They revived them for a while, a kind of Irish Olympics, for a while in the 20s.

EDIT: Damnit, pipped on the line by ROK_ON.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

when I saw the picture on http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/ of the finish during the Mondello Circuit Race july 26th, I couldnt help but think of the comment above
    Absolutely no one working for anyone else in this finish its hilarious could they be anymore spread out.
    I dont think amateur,sportif Irish cyclists are very good at sharing and working for a common goal for one person. Its a GAA mentality .

• Advertisement
Advertisement