Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restore a Word Document from 24 hours ago? - Clutching at Straws here

• 24-03-2011 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Clutching at straws here. Can't believe I have lost 7 hours work, by STUPIDLY (which I've never done before), using a previous document as a template for a new one, deleted all the text in it and forgot to 'Save As' another name before closing it. I've gone into looking for previous versions, it says none exist (I have since seen the box which should have been ticked which says 'always create a backup' under options. I have looked at system restore but my most recent option is 4 days ago which is no good to me. Ideally about 3 hours ago would be perfect :mad: but even 24 hours ago would be a start.

I'm not well up on exactly what systems I'm running etc. but I seem to be running Office 2003, and it's Windows 7 Home premium.

I think there is nothing I can do but if anyone knows of anything obviously I would be delighted.........thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Clutching at straws here. Can't believe I have lost 7 hours work, by STUPIDLY (which I've never done before), using a previous document as a template for a new one, deleted all the text in it and forgot to 'Save As' another name before closing it. I've gone into looking for previous versions, it says none exist (I have since seen the box which should have been ticked which says 'always create a backup' under options. I have looked at system restore but my most recent option is 4 days ago which is no good to me. Ideally about 3 hours ago would be perfect :mad: but even 24 hours ago would be a start.

I'm not well up on exactly what systems I'm running etc. but I seem to be running Office 2003, and it's Windows 7 Home premium.

I think there is nothing I can do but if anyone knows of anything obviously I would be delighted.........thanks
    if you made changes to a previous document did office not ask you when you were exiting "do you want to save changes....."?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 throwingmusic

delw wrote: »
    if you made changes to a previous document did office not ask you when you were exiting "do you want to save changes....."?

Of course it did - I'm afraid I was not concentrating and was thinking yes I want to save the changes (i.e. the new typing I had just done, approx three pages), the vital part I missed out in the whole equation was to 'Save As' the document before I started typing my new stuff in, i.e. the measly three pages I'm now left with of the new stuff, whereas I had around a hundred pages worth of stuff in the previous doc........

So - had a 100 page doc. Opened it, to use it as a template for my new document i.e. layout of title etc. - deleted all of the text of the document and started typing the second document (which is when I should have saved it under a new name). Closed the document and saved the changes...........Absolute clown, pure lack of concentration probably due to how much time I've spent sitting at the laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Have you right clicked on the document and`checked under properties for a previous version?

red menace wrote: »
    Have you right clicked on the document and`checked under properties for a previous version?

Yes and got - 'No previous versions available' but thanks for the suggestion I only tried that after googling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

sorry cant be of more help,
    have a read of this as well

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827099

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Of course it did - I'm afraid I was not concentrating and was thinking yes I want to save the changes (i.e. the new typing I had just done, approx three pages), the vital part I missed out in the whole equation was to 'Save As' the document before I started typing my new stuff in, i.e. the measly three pages I'm now left with of the new stuff, whereas I had around a hundred pages worth of stuff in the previous doc........

So - had a 100 page doc. Opened it, to use it as a template for my new document i.e. layout of title etc. - deleted all of the text of the document and started typing the second document (which is when I should have saved it under a new name). Closed the document and saved the changes...........Absolute clown, pure lack of concentration probably due to how much time I've spent sitting at the laptop
    fair enough,goes to show how easy it can happen,i know its a bit obvious &you probably did but did you check recent documents

Thanks Delw and red menace, yeah i've read through that page, and checked recent documents, unfortunately they just don't cover when you rename the document, it just becomes that document. Well probably just have to be a (hard) lesson learned......

Thanks for the suggestions much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

How about this : - try a system restore and set your computer to an earlier time .

in Xp you go start - all programs - - assessories - system tools - system restore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Dropbox FTW,
    use it for documents like this for an incremental image

How about this : - try a system restore and set your computer to an earlier time .

in Xp you go start - all programs - - assessories - system tools - system restore

Yeah did try that, but the most up to date I can get is from 4 days ago, which is no good I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭practice

Download "Recuva" from www.download.com and run it. Although you did not delete the file the old one may still be on the hardrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

A long shot
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Previous-versions-of-files-frequently-asked-questions

Notice you need to right click the folder not the file itself.

Another possibility
    Search through you system for a file containing some phrase that you know was included in the lost document.

practice wrote: »
    Download "Recuva" from www.download.com and run it. Although you did not delete the file the old one may still be on the hardrive

Thanks I'm running that now. However all of these recovery things are for lost documents, my document wasn't lost I stupidly deleted all the text in it and saved it (forgetting to 'save as'), so I don't think this is going to help. The document still exists in perfect form, what I need is a previous version of the document but unfortunately no previous version was saved

Thanks Dulchie - same thing, I'm not really looking for a lost document, I have the document it's the data that was in it that I deleted myself that's gone forever. Human stupidity lack of concentration...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

The Microsoft link is to find previous versions that may have been saved automatically by Windows 7, (There is a similar option in Vista) although you did not sepcifically save a previous version Windows 7 might have.

From the Website
    How are previous versions created?

Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other partitions or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.

Dulchie wrote: »
    The Microsoft link is to find previous versions that may have been saved automatically by Windows 7, (There is a similar option in Vista) although you did not sepcifically save a previous version Windows 7 might have.

From the Website
    How are previous versions created?

Previous versions are automatically saved as part of a restore point. If system protection is turned on, Windows automatically creates previous versions of files and folders that have been modified since the last restore point was made. Typically, restore points are made once a day. If your disk is partitioned or if you have more than one hard disk on your computer, you need to turn on system protection for the other partitions or disks. Previous versions are also created by Windows Backup when you back up your files.

Checked for previous versions - none available.

Advertisement