Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speaking North Co Dublinise

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭briany

Hard to really know where these sayings begin and end geographically of course but anyway....

I like "D'lad" in referring to someone i.e. D'Brian lad etc. or a variation on that - "D'young chap". Used to hear my father referring to someone from his work by that nickname even though the guy would have been around 40 then. I suppose it was just a name he got when he started and it stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Class little poem :)
    cathy01 wrote: »
    I walk the street of my town
    & here is what I see,
    The Buckshot with his banjo & the Dozer singing free
    I spy the Ma McKewon
    Her stocking wrinkling down
    Dishing out the chips,
    On the square she was found

I came upon the Didlier
    The Jip with his bike
    The Whistler Lacey smoking,
    The dregs of someones butt
    I meet with Ritchie Collins
    A bell man carrying slack
    The Gub Corcoran horse & cart,
    Picking up the trash.
    I met the Billa Costello
    On the square selling fish
    The Jemmer roaring loud,
    ‘Get away you son of a bitch’

I spied Kathy Dunne
    Ambling across the Canal
    She was heading for the town hall
    A tongue that would clip a hedge
    & there within the town hall,
    the hops on Saturday night,
    the invasion of the Scotsmen
    The local girls delight

There was nick names like the Rainbow,
    Dingo & the Fobs, Gunchie & the Nailer
    The Cla & the Blobs
    Their was the Sycky & the Dab
    The Elk was local too
    The Budgie & the Smythco to name but a few

Their was Scratch & the Skinner
    Leather & the Cru, the Cheyenne & the Jobber
    & these are all true
    There was Perky & the Minne
    The Sailor & the Jams
    The Golly & the Drummer
    All behave like lambs

There was Bootsie & the Colando
    The Whacker & the Spud
    the Binky & the Blarey all stalking in the wood
    there was Puddners & the Bilko
    the Frosty & the Slick,
    there was other fancy names like just plain Dick

Alas but many some have had their day
    Now their sons & daughter carry on the fray
    Christened in the church, pomp & regalia given names,
    The locals like to abbreviate & shorten to the insane

Major 09 ©
    March 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

cbreeze wrote: »
    The accents are different too. 'Road' is pronounced 'ro-ad' like it had two syllables.
    :D lol. Or Mo-wen for moon, and sp-wen for spoon. Also replacing the word those with 'thems', '"thems ones over there"

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

What about people saying "alright chap" or "eh lad"

Calling women "wans", so a lad could say he was out in a nightclub last night and there was some load of "wans" there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

DougalZ wrote: »
    :D lol. Or Mo-wen for moon, and sp-wen for spoon. Also replacing the word those with 'thems', '"thems ones over there"

I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone who is actually from balbriggan speak like that, with the exception of some teenagers who think its cool to have a north inner city accent. And I say that as someone who's great grandparents, possibly further back, were from the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Little Ted wrote: »
    another one I never heard til I came to balbriggan was 'qware wan' (queer one) when referring to ones better half. This is the qware wan.
    That's also a very popular expression in Co Louth.
    Little Ted wrote:
    or when something is bad/awful/not nice 'thats cat'
    Chinafoot wrote: »
    My boyfriend is from Limerick and had no idea what I meant the first time he heard me say it. He still laughs at me when I say something is cat
    That's used all over the country. I'm surprised your boyfriend hasn't heard it as my wife is from Limerick and I've often heard it down there. My father (Co Donegal) uses the longer version - "catmelodeon" (pronounced "catmelogin") all the time especially concerning weather or poor play at GAA matches.

One thing I've only ever heard around Rush is "It's wet got" - when it has begun to rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Duzzer wrote: »
    What about people saying "alright chap" or "eh lad"

Calling women "wans", so a lad could say he was out in a nightclub last night and there was some load of "wans" there

Used to be a fisherman in Loughshinny called 'The Duzzer' [Rogan] - any relation?

Used to be a fisherman in Loughshinny called 'The Duzzer' [Rogan] - any relation?

No, just that the Duzzer was a bit of a legend in Loughshinny so I took that as my user name.

That's used all over the country. I'm surprised your boyfriend hasn't heard it as my wife is from Limerick and I've often heard it down there. My father (Co Donegal) uses the longer version - "catmelodeon" (pronounced "catmelogin") all the time especially concerning weather or poor play at GAA matches.

*shrug* He's from the "country" in Limerick :)
    One thing I've only ever heard around Rush is "It's wet got" - when it has begun to rain.

My friend from Tallaght says that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

He was a fine footballer if it was Duzzer aka Padraig. Went to London back in the mid 80s Is he back about Loughshinny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 DougalZ

LeoB wrote: »
    He was a fine footballer if it was Duzzer aka Padraig. Went to London back in the mid 80s Is he back about Loughshinny?
    Yeap indeed he is.

Im talking about the original Duzzer. The younger Duzzer was a good footballer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Not forgetting of course that North County Dublin once had it's own language, Fingallian. Link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingalian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I can honestly say that I have never heard anyone who is actually from balbriggan speak like that, with the exception of some teenagers who think its cool to have a north inner city accent. And I say that as someone who's great grandparents, possibly further back, were from the area.

I can honestly say that I HAVE heard people split their syllables in Balbriggan, and my grandparents were also from the briggan.
    I know what you mean about north inner city, but the way they split their syllables is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I remember people pronouncing Holmpatrick by saying Holl em patrick, rather than rhyming with home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I remember people pronouncing Holmpatrick by saying Holl em patrick, rather than rhyming with home

Almost akin to saying Malahide Deh - mez - knee/Deh - mezn.

No?

Ok I was a stupid child.

Little Ted wrote: »
    I can honestly say that I HAVE heard people split their syllables in Balbriggan, and my grandparents were also from the briggan.
    I know what you mean about north inner city, but the way they split their syllables is different.

I didn't say people in Balbriggan don't split their syllables. The most obvious example is when they call people "our" and pronounce it "ow-er" However, when they say "our lad", most don't say "ow-er lad" and it often sounds like "aarr lad". However, I disagree that people say "sp-wen" or "Mo-wen" and those pronounciations are far more likely to be found in the inner city.

Also, my comment was more specifically directed at DougalZ example of "thems ones over there." I have never in my life heard that in Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

Good few friends from the Lougher. They would always use 'Lad' at the end of a sentence. Think its fairly common in Rush too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I came across a list of Rush Nicknames of the charactors of Rush from Niall Weldon "Sand in my Shoes". Well recommended to anyone interested in Rush and its history. I added corrections in brackets.

Extract from Sand in my Shoes.
    Sky Thorne
    Hawk Flynn
    Bear McCann
    Muckers Austin
    Twine Kelly
    Bottles McCann
    Snuggles Fagan
    Budner Landy
    Scut Leonard
    Bruds Butterly
    Guts McMahon
    Buck McCann
    Coffee Harford
    Blah Forde
    Tee Carrick
    Nux Mathews(pronounced in Rushian as Matters)
    Boggy Smith
    Dozer Kelly
    Crow Weldon
    Rookser Newcomen
    Buff McGuinness
    Bun Taylor
    Baker Foley
    Two Doherty Brothers called Duckers and Putters(I believe this is an error, their surname was Herbert)
    Smuts Leonard
    Tom the Lug, no surname given
    Wiry Harford
    Weasel Brien
    Swadge Plunkett
    Snookers Lynch
    Dodge Toner
    Grizzler Fynes
    Bock Jones
    Hardset Kelly
    Bawman Harford
    Gusty Greene
    Horsey Clarke

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

You dragged up a few memories there.

I remember Duckers and Putters (thought they were Monks). I could be well mixed up with 2 ladies who lived in the Mall and used to get a lift up to mass with Jem Mackey and Mary Jo. A few other also, Sky Thorne and Hawk Flynn one of the last to use a horse on the farm, well in his field down the Brook lane opposite Eurospar. I was actually talking to Wiry Harfords son this evening.

Is the Snuggles Fagan you mention he of the old Fagans shop? Sluggers we used to call him. Muckers Austin father of Michael "Muck"

Do you remember Mrs. Keevey in her caravan opposite where the credit union is now? There was a big wheel on one end and it was said if you turned this wheel you would capsise her out of bed and needless to say on my way from School one day I tried it only for her to be behind me saying "Im Long up" Its fair to say I nearly s**t myself and never tried that again

Heck Weldon the postman
    Redner the roadsweep
    Danser McCann
    Pipes Bentley
    Beamser Devine
    Longers aand Johners, brothers of Rookser Newcomen

I know a few other names but will not post them for fear of a stray bullet hitting my van over the next day or two.

Names dont seem to be handed down around here like they used to be, unlike other areas.

The swan, Pullit, Hen, Spaker, Poision dwarf, Doot Knight.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

id say "thats cat" and "our lad" (sometimes just "our")where the ones i noticed most, when i 1st started coming out here i would say like "he's massive"(as in good looking) and my mates would think i was calling someone fat!! and whether your going to a pub/club /house party /concert if there's drinking involved it all called a session!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dubsontour

I'v also noticed since I came out here a lot of NCD Dubs say "I'm going into Dublin" when going to town..But, but, your already in Dublin:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭SarahC11

dubsontour wrote: »
    I'v also noticed since I came out here a lot of NCD Dubs say "I'm going into Dublin" when going to town..But, but, your already in Dublin:D:D

yeah thats true, although if im going up to my ma's or anything they always ask me am i coming up to dub! it's like they dont believe balbriggan is actually part of Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Just came across this thread - very entertaining!
    But when it comes to nicknames, I think my classmates from Balbriggan were outstanding: Mr. Tonge was "Mousie" and Mr. Tolan was "Semi". Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I first thought this was a piss take but it seems to have some evidence and judging by some comments perhaps the language stillexists with certain words.

Wiki
    Fingalian is an extinct language formerly spoken in Fingal, Ireland, an area to the north of Dublin. A West Germanic dialect, it descended from the Middle English introduced following the Norman invasion of Ireland. It was extinct by the mid-19th century. It was similar to the Yola language spoken in Wexford.

Perhaps we should stop the Gaelscoils teaching a foreign language and revive our native Fingalian language.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

I managed to track down some info on our native language.
    A source book for Irish English, Volume 1 By Raymond Hickey
    The other pocket of archaic English in Ireland , Fingal, comprised the baronies of Nethercross, Balrothery and Coolock immediately north of Dublin. There is one significant attestation of the dialect, anonymous satire entitled The Irish Hudibras, or Fingallian Prince(1689) which has been attributed to the Englishman James Farewell but not convincingly (Bliss 1976:549) The dialect of Fingal would appear to have been more influenced by Irish than the South-East of Wexford

The satire appears important as it seems have inspired what we now know as "stage Irish".

Stage Irish is a stereotyped portrayal of Irish people once common in plays.[1] The term refers to an exaggerated or caricatured portrayal of supposed Irish characteristics in speech and behaviour. The stage Irishman was generally "garrulous, boastful, unreliable, hard-drinking, belligerent (though cowardly) and chronically impecunious."[1]
    The early stage Irish persona arose in England in the context of the war between the Jacobites and Whig supporters of William of Orange at the end of the 17th century. Later, the stage Irish persona become more comic and less threatening. Irish writers also used the persona in a satirical way.

James Farewell's poem The Irish Hudibras (1689) was published in the wake of William's invasion of Ireland to suppress the Jacobite uprising.[2] It is considered to be the principal origin of the stereotype. This takes the form of a parody of book VI of Virgil's Aeneid, in which Aeneas descends into the underworld. In the poem, this is replaced by Fingal in County Dublin, in which Irish costume, behaviour, and speech-spatterns are parodied as if they were denizens of Hades.

Extract of the satire
    “The Irish Hudibras or Fingallian Prince”: ‘Mean while the Rout to work do fall / To Celebrate the Funeral. / And first with Turff from Bog, and Blocks, / They made a Fire wou’d roast an Oxe / Some lay the pipkins on, and so / With Holy Water bathe his Bum / There was the Priest forgiving Sins / Busie as Hen with two Chickeens, / ’Nointing his Forehead, and his Nose, / And downwards to his Pettigoes / After the method of his Function / With Holy Oyl of Extreme Unction.’ (Extract from The Field Day Anthology of Irish Writing, 1991, Vol. 1, p.439.) Further, ‘Springs, happy springs, adorn’d with sallets / Which nature purposed for their Palats; / Shamroges and watercress he shows, / Which was both meat, and Drink and close.;’ also, ‘Stalking about the bogs and moors / Together with their Dogs and Whore; / Without a Rag, Trouses or Brogues / Picking of Sorrels and Sham-rogues.’

Advertisement