Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity overcharging?

Options
  • 25-03-2011 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I just got my latest Bill from Airtricity.
    My last bill totalled 256 euro for 2 months.
    My new latest bill is a whopping 480 Euro :mad:
    Consider this now, we have electric heaters, don't use them as much now since the weather improved too.
    There is absolutely no way we have almost doubled the amount of electricity we have been using, absolutely no chance at all.
    If anything we have used less because the heaters are not on as much and our washer dryer was broken for a while.
    I live with my wife in an apartment, have no kids and are not at home much during the day, we only heat individual rooms as we need them etc...

How can this happen?
    Is there anything I can do about this, I will no doubt be calling them in the morning to complain contest this latest bill.
    Anyone else have any advice or experience of this sort of thing with Airtricity?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Is it estimated?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 wannabecop

yeah mate one bill probably estimated so next one should be right just check ur meter reading if they pretty close its rite

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭bazza76dub

TheDriver wrote: »
    Is it estimated?

I didn't give a meter reading this month if that is what you mean mate
    wannabecop wrote: »
    yeah mate one bill probably estimated so next one should be right just check ur meter reading if they pretty close its rite

So if I go out and check my meter against it I will be able to tell if it is right?

what am I looking out for exactly on the meter reading?

On my new bill it is saying the amount of units I have used is almost twice as much as the previous bill when conditions were much colder and we had the heating on a lot more. It is impossible.

• Advertisement

basically the meter counts the units so if u take the reading u have now and compare with the one on the bill if there is a small difference its what u have used since ur bill came out if its higher on the bill than the meter they owe u the unit rate x the difference but normally ur next bill will sort it out. o and it will defo be aout a little if u didnt give a reading as they just guess what its at but it will be sorted when they do take one or u submit one

wannabecop wrote: »
    basically the meter counts the units so if u take the reading u have now and compare with the one on the bill if there is a small difference its what u have used since ur bill came out if its higher on the bill than the meter they owe u the unit rate x the difference but normally ur next bill will sort it out. o and it will defo be aout a little if u didnt give a reading as they just guess what its at but it will be sorted when they do take one or u submit one

Sorted, what you mean by that exactly mate, sorted as in my next bill will not be so high, or sorted they will take the difference off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can submit your own reading now if its substantially lower then they could send you a new revised bill, otherwise you pay the full amount now and the next bill will take all that into account and be very small.
    How to read meters: Its all on their website with pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first thing you need to do is look at your bill. Find the section with the meter readings and look for the letters after the readings.

The following is taken from the Airtricity website
    The back of your bill contains a section called Usage Details. Here you will find the meter reads used to calculate your bill.
    (A) after the reading indicates an actual meter reading
    (E) after the reading indicates an estimated reading
    (C) after the reading indicates a reading supplied by you

You'll notice the Usage Details can include up to three reads:
    Previous Reading: Your bill is calculated from this reading.
    Interim Reading: any actual meter reads received during your billing period will be included here.
    Present Reading: your bill is calculated up to this meter reading.

If the letter is (E), that means that Airtricity could not read it themselves and they estimated yourt usage. If that's the case, then you need to get out to your meter and read it yourself.

If the letter is (A), then that means they read the meter (but it's no harm to doublecheck yourself). This month's high bill means that previous bills were probably estimated and when they took the meter reading, the previous underbilling was corrected.

Check the bill and go read your meter. Until you do that, there is no point in contacting Airtricity.

The simple fact is that the utility companies rarely overcharge. More often that not, big bills are due to people letting estimated readings build rather than reading the meter themselves and verifying that bills are accurate.

if this ones too high the next one will be small but overall you will only pay for the units u used

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

wow thats a big bill! what annoys me is i was tryin to cut them but it would have cost me 300 euro if i did! so i said i stick with them i got a bill last week and it was 108 euro which is actually ok as i was having a fit as the lads in the house are very fond of the dryer! rang them last week to send me out a smartcard and im still fecking waitin rang them 3 days ago and no one never bothered to order it so now they have it orderd!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

Hi there

My parent which is a widow and who recieves a social welfare discount for her electricity got a bill last week for nearly 280euro, she never got a bill like that before and even with the discount of 80euro off this is still very high for the month of january to march....the last bill for the colder months was just 160euro wit the discount of 80euro...which seems more normal.

we only switched over to airtricity cause we heard they were cheaper etc but this si ridicious.

tried ringing them but typically no one answers and you left hanging on the line for ages and no answer to emails!!

unless we get some sort of answer we will be going back to the ESB.

all replies welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Thats sucks.. Are your bills estimated or can your meter be read outside? how many units are you being charged for? Double check that the meter reading is the same on the bill..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Hi there

My parent which is a widow and who recieves a social welfare discount for her electricity got a bill last week for nearly 280euro, she never got a bill like that before and even with the discount of 80euro off this is still very high for the month of january to march....the last bill for the colder months was just 160euro wit the discount of 80euro...which seems more normal.

we only switched over to airtricity cause we heard they were cheaper etc but this si ridicious.

tried ringing them but typically no one answers and you left hanging on the line for ages and no answer to emails!!

unless we get some sort of answer we will be going back to the ESB.

all replies welcome

I switched to Airtricity some time ago now because I also heard they were cheaper than ESB. The unit cost is slightly cheaper but the standing charge costs a lot more than ESB. Overall I found them more expensive so I recently changed to Bord Gáis to try and get away from high electric bills.

actually i did do a meter reading about two weeks ago and submitted it online.....also the normal ESB guy i think came around in febuary so cud we have been done on a double meter reading????

we really want to get this sorted and i wish some of that Airtricity lot wud responed or they will be in for a hard time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

More than likely previous bills were estimated on the low side.

In a previous thread, Dudara summarises it very well. Have a look here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71344800&postcount=10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

actually i did do a meter reading about two weeks ago and submitted it online.....also the normal ESB guy i think came around in febuary so cud we have been done on a double meter reading????

No, you couldn't. The bil is calculated by subtracting the previous reading from the current one (with the current being the most recent).
    we really want to get this sorted and i wish some of that Airtricity lot wud responed or they will be in for a hard time...

You need to check what the previous reading was, and what the current reading is. If the current reading is accurate, which it likely will since both you and the ESB checked it, and if this is the same as what's on the bill then the bill is correct. You don't need Airtricity to respond, all you need to do is check two numbers.

If the reading is right, then the bill is right, and there's nothing you an do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged as they are essentially the same topic.

dudara

do anyone have a number that Airtricity actually answer the call?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Got our first Airtricity bill last week - 590euro. Rang up and they said that it was an estimate an they actual cost was 290euro -which is quite the difference. Still higher than we used to ever pay but it could be right with underestimation from ESB. The thing is i've been hearing that this enthusiastic first billing is not that uncommon. So much so that I've concerns whether this is deliberate practice.

• Advertisement

well if it is a deliberate practice i can't see too many putting up with it.....spent most of the day trying to ring them with no answer jsut a stupid waiting tune about how much costs they are saving us...and will not respond to email or phone back from their website....just seems once they have you on board they doin't give a shie....

well looks like il be giving the ESB a call soon.....bad in all they are least they asswer the phone...

Deliberate practice to do what exactly? Over charge you on one bill, only to have it corrected at the next actual reading (at which point you will pay less, having already pre-paid for units that were not used).

This topic comes up on an almost weekly basis, and the result is inevitably the same. One bill has an estimated reading, that is too low, but you happily pay this lower amount and never correct or complain about it. Then, on the next accurate reading you get an unusually high bill because you have previously not been paying for your usage. Suddenly it's over charges and illegal activities, and how can they get away with this obviously deliberate action.

You can read your meter at any time, and submit that reading to your provider. When you get a bill, it states whether the reading is Actual, Estimated, or Customer supplied, by appending the bolded initial to the meter reading. The majority of people don't bother to read or notice this, until they get a correct bill that is, then it's hells bells, conspiracy theories and you can't wait to switch provider.

In the end, you will pay for the exact electricity you use. Whether that means paying less now and more later, or more now and less later, or the correct amount at all times. Why is this? Because it's metered, that's why. Whatever is on the meter right now is what you have used. And if you haven't paid for the appropriate amount up until now, then just read the meter, and you'll know exactly how much you owe. If you don't, then they will eventually, and you'll pay for what you've used. There is no need to contact your provider, or change provider. All you need to do is read the meter.

You should also note that it is ESB Networks that read all meters, regardless of who you pay your bill to. They will only read the actual meter up to 4 times per year, which means you will get at least 2 estimated readings. The estimated readings are also provided by ESB Networks, based on the actual historical usage at your premises, and other seasonal adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think that's a little bit harsh ! I don't think the poster is disputing the amount of electricity used, instead their problem is Airtricity's lack of understanding of peoples circumstances. 590 euro coming out in one lump from your account may leave a situation where other bills go unpaid. All this because Airtricity seem to estimate the bill lower for a few months to try to convince you there are real savings before hitting you with the adjusted bill and taking a large sum of money !!

I had a similar situation with Clearwire a few years back where they took over 360 euro in one lump from my account without warning.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    All this because Airtricity seem to estimate the bill lower

This is the main cusp of the problem. Whenever someone is on the receiving end of one of these bills, they immediately think that this is all Airtricity's doing, and that it is not an isolated incident, rather that it is the norm. ESB Networks do all the readings, Airtricity just send a bill based on their numbers.

Airtricity do inform you that you can submit a reading yourself, and they also have a service where they text or email you when it's time to submit a reading. It also states on the bill whether the reading is true or estimated. It's time people stopped blaming the supplier, and start looking to their own responsibilities. As I said, they're happy to pay the lower than accurate bill for months on end, and will blissfully ignore the fact that they will eventually have to correct for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Lads your with ESB for yrs before and they had years & years of reads to est on, your all just p*issed now bcoz you have to pay more attention to your bills & its not done for you. If your able to log on here & moan your able to log onto their site & give reads like alot of us. Plus they are open from 8AM to 7PM try ringing at quieter times if your having trouble getting through, I've had no trouble at all with them.
    Offy wrote: »
    I switched to Airtricity some time ago now because I also heard they were cheaper than ESB. The unit cost is slightly cheaper but the standing charge costs a lot more than ESB. Overall I found them more expensive so I recently changed to Bord Gáis to try and get away from high electric bills.

The standing charge is set by the CER so that would be the same either way!
    They did go up in the new year tho afaik.
    ZENER wrote: »
    590 euro coming out in one lump from your account may leave a situation where other bills go unpaid.

Sure like all companies they give you time beofre they take the DD to question it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Catalpa1

The standing charge is set by the CER so that would be the same either way!
    They did go up in the new year tho afaik.

ESB Networks have a sort of standard standing charge for the residential market.whcih is what is used by Bord Gais and ESB Supply Airtricitys standing charge is different (higher not by a huge amount if I recall) if you listen (carefully) to their ad you'll hear
    "standing charges may vary from other suppliers)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Following on from the above. Checked the bank balance today and money hadn't been refunded as promised - it should have been in two days ago. Instead we've a credit on the airtricity account for the money owed. Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

I just got a gas bill from airtricity today. My third one since I got changed over to gas last August. They told me before Christmas that my although my electricity could be estimated, my gas would be an actual reading every time. This is totally untrue as they did an actual reading this month and sent me out a bill over 4 times my normal bill! I have been living here for three and a half years and never received a bill like it! Defo think there's something fishy about it. Will contact them tomorrow and give them an earful! Totally ridiculous. Think I will change over to bord gais if this continues! Is there anyone that consumers could complain to about this mad form of billing? After all, aren't we paying them for a service? Surely we should be getting a more decent one! Raging!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Ana 36 if you have no luck maybe CER the regulator. Are you with them for electricity and gas have they got you on a contract. If so there maybe a breakage clause.I find BGE good but ESB are back from next month and also selling gas apparently, so might be worth having a look at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Ana36

discostu1 wrote: »
    Hi Ana 36 if you have no luck maybe CER the regulator. Are you with them for electricity and gas have they got you on a contract. If so there maybe a breakage clause.I find BGE good but ESB are back from next month and also selling gas apparently, so might be worth having a look at

I was going to change to their "20%" off gas next winter but I don't think I will now unless I get a satisfactory response tomorrow when I call them

Advertisement