Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity overcharging?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Ana36 wrote: »
    I was going to change to their "20%" off gas next winter but I don't think I will now unless I get a satisfactory response tomorrow when I call them
    If you wish to log a complaint with CER, be aware that you will first need to log a complaint with your supplier.

CER will ask for the supplier complaint ref no, and the name of the person who you were dealing with. This may save you from having to ring Eirtricity back for this info.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Le Graduate

bazza76dub wrote: »
    I just got my latest Bill from Airtricity.
    My last bill totalled 256 euro for 2 months.
    My new latest bill is a whopping 480 Euro :mad:
    Consider this now, we have electric heaters, don't use them as much now since the weather improved too.
    There is absolutely no way we have almost doubled the amount of electricity we have been using, absolutely no chance at all.
    If anything we have used less because the heaters are not on as much and our washer dryer was broken for a while.
    I live with my wife in an apartment, have no kids and are not at home much during the day, we only heat individual rooms as we need them etc...

How can this happen?
    Is there anything I can do about this, I will no doubt be calling them in the morning to complain contest this latest bill.
    Anyone else have any advice or experience of this sort of thing with Airtricity?

I know you posted this last month but the process being the process you will still be waiting to find out why your bill is so high.

I can see from a number of other respondents quotes that your bill will be 'sorted' on your next bill. I believe this 'sorting' is called a time switch adjustment calculation and it is a very accurate way to establish whether you were overcharged.

What I suggest you to do is put your complaint in writing to Airtricity (phone calls don't count for very much) and they MUST reply with an acknowledgement within 10 working days upon receipt of your complaint.After that they will attempt to resolve it as soon as possible.

If they don't contact you within 12 days contact the Commission for Energy Regulation as they cannot deal with a complaint until you have put the complaint in black and white to your supplier.

FYI: ESB Networks (the network operator) are the company who read your meter and they aim to do so 3-4 times a year and note that I say aim. If it is a case of your meter over clocking units you must contact ESB Networks.

Hope this helps.

dudara wrote: »
    If the letter is (E), that means that Airtricity could not read it themselves and they estimated yourt usage. If that's the case, then you need to get out to your meter and read it yourself.

Just to note Airtricity do not read your meter ESB Networks do that's why you have a standing charge on your bill as it pays for that service amongst other services.

I suggest you write to them before switching back just yet.What I suggest you to do is put your complaint in writing to Airtricity and they MUST reply with an acknowledgement within 10 working days upon receipt of your complaint.After that they will attempt to resolve it as soon as possible.

Put your complaint in writing to Airtricity and they MUST reply with an acknowledgement within 10 working days upon receipt of your complaint.After that they will attempt to resolve it as soon as possible.

If they don't contact you within 12 days contact the Commission for Energy Regulation as they cannot deal with a complaint until you have put the complaint in black and white to your supplier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Well I just noticed a DD from Airtricity for €286 :(

I never received a bill beforehand, never received an e-mail or text to say it was online (though I cannot actually log in as they've never sent me my acc no.)

I'm assuming its estimated, but what can I do about this? Surely they cannot charge without first providing a bill????

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

I'm assuming its estimated, but what can I do about this? Surely they cannot charge without first providing a bill????

Judging by your email I think they just did.
    Get your facts together and ring them.
    One of the aunts got a new price tariff from ESB durng the week and she got a letter this morning confirming details on page two there is a secton called direct debit guarantee and it has the following paragraph,

" If an error is made by ESB Electric Ireland or your Bank you are guaranteed a full and immediate refund from your branch of the amount paid."

I presume that this must apply to all direct debits but with Airtricity maybe that is a big assumption

• Registered Users Posts: 36 cavancola73

well we got a similliar bill and it was a nightmare trying to get through to airtricity!! eventually after several calls and emails a customer service agent called, anyway after telling her their customer service was crap, it appeared the bill was estimated even though the ESB man had taken a reading in feb and i took one on march, the fact is its up to the customer to take and submit meter readings themselves, and i was advised my next bill will be half the current bill......will be waiting to see :) or think il be switching back to the ESB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I never received a bill beforehand, never received an e-mail or text to say it was online (though I cannot actually log in as they've never sent me my acc no.)

Sure just file an indemnity claim with your bank

Have you contacted Airtricity yet?

Don't try and block and direct debit payments just yet as if you do they will see this as breaking a payment plan and ask for you to provide a €300 security deposit.

As I said before put it in writing to them before the next billing cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You can get your bank to stop the direct debit or refund it immediately as airtricity must give notice of all charges before thay are allowed take anything from your account.
    Have you contacted Airtricity yet?

Don't try and block and direct debit payments just yet as if you do they will see this as breaking a payment plan and ask for you to provide a €300 security deposit.

As I said before put it in writing to them before the next billing cycle.
    In this case because the company are failing to honour the direct debit rules they will not be in a good position to ask for any deposit, The op should tell them the direct debit will be reinstated when they get a written undertaking that this will not happen again and that if it does a goodwill payment will be made.

i had the same problem with bord gais as they are not sending their bills out on time so after two surprise debits on my avccount i stopped the direct debit, customer care said i would be charged the dposit until i asked for a written undertaking from them to provide adequate notice of charges in line with the direct debit scheme they were instructing me to use, the deposit was not mentioned or charged since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭ste2010

Im also having a nightmare with airtricty since I joined them. Billing periods changing here and there massive bill amounts Ive never seen before. I cant explain my savings and have asked them to and they dont seem to be giving me the detailed picture...
    I disputed and asked for monthly breakdowns noting my savings on other suppliers which I have not received in my requested detail...Issue is going on over mth now, there customer service is dreadful in my opinion, there complaints management also and responses to emails, phone calls are very unsatisfactory. I bounced back the direct debit that was under dispute. 3rd bill ranging from 250 > 450 euro
    According to directdebit rules on IPSO.ie an originator cannot debit payments that are under dispute and originator must provide you with sufficient notice before the debit is made. debit stil lcame out:confused:
    BAsed on my experieince with them they seem out their depth!
    Just to note I am more than willing to pay my bill, but I want proof in my savings...if I dont get it I dont pay..I should be charging for the hours of time they have wasted on me!

Advertisement