Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hats off to the Japs.

• 25-03-2011 1:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I was a Brit Bike die hard for over 15 years between Pre and unit construction BSA Triumph and Ariel until my ex finally twisted my arm to get my first Jap in 1999.

My first Multi was a GSXF 750. Main reason because I could not keep up with her and other members of the MCC Club that joined in at the time.

Have not looked back. Have since gone through a SRX 400 & 600, GSXR 1100R, Blade 900, and currently a Bross 400 and J series GSXR 750.

We owe these guys a lot for bring us years of hassle free bike ingenuity,

I hope that there will be a minutes silence offered at the next Bike rally for all those that lost their lives in the recent disaster.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

its unbelivable what them people are going thru over there:(,,could only be described as biblical proportions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

its unbelivable what them people are going thru over there:(,,could only be described as biblical proportions

And what amazes me is how they will all pull together out of this like a collony of ants. They are really some people.

Did anyone see the dual carriageway repaired after the quake?

6 days after being demolished by the quake it was opened again to the public. This would have taken several weeks to do in Ireland and that would be just to access the damage

I just hope to God that this nuke thing gets nipped in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i've only ever ridden jap and i'm old enough to rember what they have done for bikes

they are a singularly brlliant peoples and i hope they do the same fror themselves

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Ten out of ten for sentiment but minus several million for repeated use of the term "japs".

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

Just wait a few yrs untill they've rebuilt it. I bet the place will look awesome.

I had a 1994 ZXR 750, awesome bike, loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I've only ever had Jap bikes, a CB400, two SVs, and picking up another tomorrow.

haven't been brave enough to try British or Italian, or stupid enough to try Yank or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I've only ever had Jap bikes, a CB400, two SVs, and picking up another tomorrow.

haven't been brave enough to try British or Italian, or stupid enough to try Yank or German.
    If you ride retro Brit you need to know your mechanics / electrics otherwise you could be stuck on the side of the road.

I could do nearly all the work on these myself, however apart from basics servicing I would leave the Gixr in to get tuned etc.

One thing I appreciated about the Japanese, if there was an issue with a bike they would have the problem sorted out within the year in time for the next years model, The Brits on the other hand would try to patch up the problem and get away with it. This is what killed the brit bike industry, EG oil leaks, shoddy electrics vibration etc.

old hippy wrote: »
    Ten out of ten for sentiment but minus several million for repeated use of the term "japs".

great first post in the forum

In Singapore and Hong Kong, the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese" rather than as a derogatory term. In Canada the term is also generally accepted as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese". The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term. In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle Jap" boutique in Paris. In Japan itself, most Japanese are apathetic about the term, according to a 2004 study.

Tigger wrote: »
    great first post in the forum

And what about the majority of Japanese who find it offensive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

From the above link the offended would be the minority. Take your over the top PC bull somewhere else please.

• Advertisement

From the above link the offended would be the minority. Take your over the top PC bull somewhere else please.

I'd like to see what study this was & who and what age group it polled.

Some black people use the n word with each other; doesn't make it right, though.

Try calling a Japanese person "jap" and see what kind of response you get.

Or are you going to keep on using it, now that you've been told?

Also, quite telling the para quoted is part of a larger wiki entry which clearly states just why the term is deemed offensive. All was that left out of Tiggers quote.

Sorry to interrupt your thread, btw. Just calling it out for what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

This thread was intended for us as bikers to show our appreciation and solidarity with a country that did so much for the biking community. I did not expect it to be hijacked by trolls.

please take your pointless arguments elsewhere.

I'd like to see what study this was & who and what age group it polled.

Some black people use the n word with each other; doesn't make it right, though.

Try calling a Japanese person "jap" and see what kind of response you get.

Or are you going to keep on using it, now that you've been told?

Also, quite telling the para quoted is part of a larger wiki entry which clearly states just why the term is deemed offensive. All was that left out of Tiggers quote.

Sorry to interrupt your thread, btw. Just calling it out for what it is.

no the entire article is too long to post but the link is here

<link>

well it would be if i could be arsed
    basically it says that some americians started using it as an offensive term in ww2 but they are dead now or very very old

the bit i quoted referes to non americian countries and to the japaneeseseses themselves
    i use the term jap bike because i mean jap bike (the derogatory term used by some americians and people who wanna be americians is ricer or rice rocket or something with rice in it )and i cant spell for sh:t the quote i gave says that using it as a contraction which i do is valid

you came in here and posted on a thread where rtdh was getting us to reflect on how much the peoples of Japan have done for us and how great they are

us is bikers i suspect you are not a biker i suspect you are someone who thinks that infering we are racists in a thread that we are acually praising is productive.

look at what i wrote

i've only ever ridden jap and i'm old enough to rember what they have done for bikes

they are a singularly brlliant peoples and i hope they do the same for themselves

a singularly brilliant peoples

and you tyry to make out that any right minded Person of Japaneese persuation would think i was being offensive

a singularly brilliant people

just fuck off would you

You failed to mention that the OED defines the term as offensive as well.

Now I used to know a few heads in the East Coast Easy Riders & they were a decent bunch - so not all bikers should be described as insensitive.

That would be stereotyping, wouldn't it?

As I said, great sentiment, only marred by some ignorance.

There's nothing shameful in acknowledging that.

Peace.

Now I used to know a few heads in the East Coast Easy Riders & they were a decent bunch - so not all bikers should be described as insensitive.

Peace.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/view/entry/m_en_gb0427520#m_en_gb0427520

no it dosent it says

short for japaneese

You left out what it says above, brother.

noun & adjective

informal , offensive

I was a Brit Bike die hard for over 15 years between Pre and unit construction BSA Triumph and Ariel until my ex finally twisted my arm to get my first Jap in 1999.

My first Multi was a GSXF 750. Main reason because I could not keep up with her and other members of the MCC Club that joined in at the time.

Have not looked back. Have since gone through a SRX 400 & 600, GSXR 1100R, Blade 900, and currently a Bross 400 and J series GSXR 750.

We owe these guys a lot for bring us years of hassle free bike ingenuity,

I hope that there will be a minutes silence offered at the next Bike rally for all those that lost their lives in the recent disaster.
    Bradidup wrote: »
    And what amazes me is how they will all pull together out of this like a collony of ants. They are really some people.

Did anyone see the dual carriageway repaired after the quake?

6 days after being demolished by the quake it was opened again to the public. This would have taken several weeks to do in Ireland and that would be just to access the damage

I just hope to God that this nuke thing gets nipped in the bud.

they are a singularly brlliant peoples and i hope they do the same fror themselves
    Just wait a few yrs untill they've rebuilt it. I bet the place will look awesome.

I had a 1994 ZXR 750, awesome bike, loved it.
    KamiKazi wrote: »

If you ride retro Brit you need to know your mechanics / electrics otherwise you could be stuck on the side of the road.

I could do nearly all the work on these myself, however apart from basics servicing I would leave the Gixr in to get tuned etc.

One thing I appreciated about the Japanese, if there was an issue with a bike they would have the problem sorted out within the year in time for the next years model, The Brits on the other hand would try to patch up the problem and get away with it. This is what killed the brit bike industry, EG oil leaks, shoddy electrics vibration etc.

back on topic and ignoring trolls

Not trolling. Just pointing out that the term is offensive, even if you can't bring yourself to admit or acknowledge it.

As I said, the sentiment is right. Appreciated. Terminology just a bit off kilter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Please fvck off.

Thanks.

Gladly; when you stop using offensive terminology.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

You left out what it says above, brother.

noun & adjective

informal , offensive

In the context it was used it was informal not offensive. :)

Why are you not complaining about the use of Brit for British?

Jap bad, Brit ok?

I have only owned Jap bikes, and have always been happy with them!

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    In the context it was used it was informal not offensive. :)

Why are you not complaining about the use of Brit for British?

Jap bad, Brit ok?

I have only owned Jap bikes, and have always been happy with them!

Now, y'all know what you're saying, you cheeky scamps. I am not aiming for your appreciation of Japanese technology, rather the casual usage of this term.

I know what I'm talking about; having had to gently explain it to people over the years and sometimes when faced with the deliberately aggressive use of it. I know that you're not using it with aggression - I understand you have a love for the workmanship and the product.

I've stated what irks. If you think it's ok to use it; I can't stop you. Only trying to show you what it is. It comes from a nasty place and there's lots of people who use it in a very negative context.

Sin e an sceal. And again, apologies for busting in on the thread. The subject I brought up is very close to my heart.

Peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I, like the majority of other people would prefer to spend my life not worrying about whither or not somebody may be offended by something I said when no offence was meant. And if they decide to take offence, I politely don't care. Its their issue, not mine.

There is of course a small minority of people who like to spend their lives getting righteously offended by things that may have offended them or somebody else when taken out of context. They scream and shout until they get their way and for the most part succeed because most other people are completely apathetic about the issue. Complaints about advertising are a perfect example of this moral ambiguity.

What is unfortunate for you, is that when this behaviour is displayed on a forum the majority who are usually left out of these arguments are included. So you are going to find that a large part of this forum don't care if you are offended by the term "jap" because it wasn't once used in a derogatory or offending manner. And hopefully but unlikely you may come away with a understanding that contrary to what the media likes to display and what you may think, we don't care that you are offended by it so the best thing for all involved is for you to "stop" be offended.

Why should you care; it doesn't affect you in any way, you've made that abundantly clear.

You'll use and keep on using, despite the knowledge that it's wrong and offensive. In fact, you'll earn your rep as a man who speaks his mind, undeterred that he might just be crossing a line, in order to secure that rep.

Be secure in your ignorance, if you don't fathom that throwaway comments have consequences - you never will.

Have a good weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Peace.

I bet you could lick your own liver if you tried, is it cosy up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Japan is the best thing that's happened to the bike and car industry. Imagine how far back bike technology would be if they never made a bike?

FFS, just report the post and get back on topic!

What started off as a good post has now made me feel suicidal.
    Most people who are offended by things like that aren't the people it was referring to at all, but instead interfering do gooders.
    FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What's going on, this is the motorbike forum :confused:

I'm not a big poster in this forum but I can't ever remember you in here. Did you see the thread title on the main page and come in to pick a fight? Not one of your posts were on bikes

My first scooter (gotta start somewhere!) was a Peugeot and it was a unreliable piece of ****.
    Let me down so many times, often cutting out at traffic lights and the drivers behind me would beep me out of it.

Got a Honda and will always buy Jap after that. Was a fantastic scooter
    http://www.hondaireland.ie/Active_Scooters_SCV100_Lead_Main.HTML

Then got a Honda Varadero 125cc. Big bike, certainly not powerful but reliable and I think it's a looker!

My Dad always bought Jap cars, swore by them. I think other families do the same

The Honda C90 is one of mankinds greatist engineering feets. It's literally indestructable.

I remember me and my mates having one when we were kids. It was around 5-10 yrs old and had been destroyed by various other kids who'd owned it for the past couple of yrs (no idea where it came from originally). We used to ride it up and down canal towpaths. My mate actually ended up in the canal on it once lmfao. We fished it out, let it dry off, then fired it up again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Political forum ^^^^^^^^

<<<<<<< English language forum

Conspiricy theory forum >>>>>>

Motorbike forum - here. :D

Lets discuss bikes, please.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement