Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat grooming

• 25-03-2011 2:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭

Im looking for a professional cat groomer or grooming service in or around the dublin area. I have a lovely persian cat but he has some pretty bad mats left over from winter. Can anyone recommend anywhere or anyone?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭veryrandom

Bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I really don't think many groomers will do cats as they mostly need sedation for it especially if the cat is not used to being groomed. With persians you really need to start brushing them everyday, this should start with breeder so they are in the routine for new owner. They have really hard coats to keep.

One of my moggies is longhaired, almost like Persian fur and as he is a rescue he doesn't like to be groomed so i shave him myself about 4 times a year to keep his coat matt free.

I would try and tease out the matts or if he is too bad ask your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭zyndacyclone

I am also looking for this. I moved here from the USA where it is standard.

I have a long hair cat and she really needs it. But, it needs to be professional standard.

For some reason, it's totally lacking in Ireland. I've asked EVERY vet that I know and not one of them knows anyone....and no, they don't need to be sedated, the groomers just need to be trained! Hello, biz op? apparently 'first professional cat groomer' in Dublin title is untaken.

I am also looking for this. I moved here from the USA where it is standard.

I have a long hair cat and she really needs it. But, it needs to be professional standard.

For some reason, it's totally lacking in Ireland. I've asked EVERY vet that I know and not one of them knows anyone....and no, they don't need to be sedated, the groomers just need to be trained! Hello, biz op? apparently 'first professional cat groomer' in Dublin title is untaken.

Can I ask why it needs to be professional standard?

imo if a cat is gotten as a kitten and its longhaired by grooming everyday a professional grooming should not be needed. If a pet has been gotten as an adult well of course its going to be different and harder but patience and treats should be able to help

by all means ask. then ask a mum why she prefers her doctor to be qualified in medicine.

stupid question.

• Advertisement

by all means ask. then ask a mum why she prefers her doctor to be qualified in medicine.

stupid question.
    Ridiculously rude.
    Does your cat need to be bathe and blow dried? Or just all the mats brushed or clipped out. I am trying to determine the extent of the grooming needed to see if I can give you advice on where to go. But hey ho.
    Good luck with it.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Perhaps she is "showing" the cat :)

Sundew wrote: »

Perhaps she is "showing" the cat :)

Could be but grooming for a show starts as a kitten with breeder and should be continued regularly by the owner. If you do it regularly enough with a ped cat you will get it to a professional standard.
    But we dont know if it is a ped/non ped or what breed.

I know a lot of cat owners who show and groom their cats to show winning standard.
    But people can't offer advice if questions are not being answered properly only rudely.

:-)

I want a trained groomer, not someone who took a correspondence course with Kilroy's. (Yes, they run one, no animals required.) Now call me protective, but a correspondence course doesn't seem to me to be a good way to learn to handle animals.

I STILL need a good groomer for cats, as do many owners of long haired breeds. I want a groomer who is associated with a vet, in case there are complications, is well trained and has practical experience.

I don't think that this is either unreasonable or crazy, I think that it is a growing trend in industrialized nations. Why a clear business opportunity like this has passed Ireland by baffles me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I want a trained groomer, not someone who took a correspondence course with Kilroy's. (Yes, they run one, no animals required.) Now call me protective, but a correspondence course doesn't seem to me to be a good way to learn to handle animals.

I STILL need a good groomer for cats, as do many owners of long haired breeds. I want a groomer who is associated with a vet, in case there are complications, is well trained and has practical experience.

I don't think that this is either unreasonable or crazy, I think that it is a growing trend in industrialized nations. Why a clear business opportunity like this has passed Ireland by baffles me.

Probably because there's such a low ownership of pedigrees, and the type of people who have them are well able to do it themselves.
    Considering this is a country where most cats are lucky if they even get fed...
    and very few would be handled enough that a groomer - professional or not - could do anything with them.

• Advertisement

I don't agree that this is a problem for pedigrees, quite the opposite. Those who show their cats groom them themselves.

I think it's a problem that arises with urbanization. More city living = more cats. In America, this is a big business, I'm amazed that I can't find a single cat groomer in Dublin at all.

Did you try some of the suggestions that i pm'd you with?
    Irish cats or asking some breeders with longhaired cats?

I have not actually heard of any professional training courses for cat grooming tbh.
    Agreed on the Kilroys way! Lol, I'd love to see someone get a cert from there and then try to wash a longhaired cat the that has never been washed!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

There was a thread earlier on in the year and there was a groomer in Dunshaughlin (sp?) (40 mins from Dublin) and it was in a vets....I took the details to give to a friend - if you pm me I will dig out the number! GSW:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 balticdub

Hi, I know this is an old thread but i have a persian who needed grooming about 2 years ago as she was mated, I went to muttugly in ranelagh, they did mine without sedation was about €100 to shave her fully, dont know if they still do cats but they have a few shops around dublin

Advertisement