Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary combustion wood stove

Options
  • 25-03-2011 7:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about installing a secondary combustion wood stove in my suburban home - something like a Scan Andersen or Stovax.

There isn't a lot of room, so it would have to be set into the existing fireplace, rather than being freestanding. But is this a) costly to do, and b) pointless? People tell me that the stove's own chimney can give off most of the heat, so having that running up inside an existing chimney, rather than exposed, seems a waste. Advice?

This http://www.murphyheating.com/multi_scan_4-5.php seems to be the standard way of doing it, either this or setting it right into the chimney like a cupboard.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Sligo Stoves and Fireplaces

The benefits of a stove, either freestanding or inset, are the efficiencies and heat output achieved compared to an open fire. A stove, either inset or freestanding will be 75-85% efficient compared to 15-25% efficiency achieved from an open fire. The linked picture has only a small length of pipe exposed so the heat achieved from this pipe, although additional, would not make much difference to the heat output.
    It really depends on the aesthetic finish you want. If you want something neat and not intrusive into the room with a good heat output, an inset stove is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Thanks, Sligo Fireplaces; does more efficient also mean hotter? I'm looking to cut down on my central heating bill, increase the heat, and lessen the dust.

A higher efficiency means that you get the heat from the fuel you are burning. A stove burns at 80% efficiency means that 80% of the heat generated from the fuel comes to the room, as opposed to 20% from an open fire. A stove will burn a smaller amount of fuel which will burn longer and give much more heat. In an open fire you have no control on the speed of burning or heat output whereas with a stove you can regulate the air-flow which means you can control burn-rate and heat output.
    The heat output will come down to the unit you buy as there are many different sizes depending on your requirements and also the quantity and type of fuel burned. There are also differences in quality from different manufacturers so, in my experience, the cheapest isn't the best way to go.

The first place I've tried advised me that for my 1930s semi-D, if it's to fit into the fireplace, the Stovax Riva 40 was the sensible choice. I'd originally thought of a Scan Andersen (a friend has one), but they said the Stovax was equivalent, and would fit into my fireplace.

I can't understand why some Irish engineering firm isn't making an Irish-branded version of these new-technology high-efficiency stoves. I would be *so* proud and happy to buy an Irish-made one with an Irish name and design, and have it in my living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

I'm thinking about installing a secondary combustion wood stove in my suburban home - something like a Scan Andersen or Stovax.

There isn't a lot of room, so it would have to be set into the existing fireplace, rather than being freestanding. But is this a) costly to do, and b) pointless? People tell me that the stove's own chimney can give off most of the heat, so having that running up inside an existing chimney, rather than exposed, seems a waste. Advice?

This http://www.murphyheating.com/multi_scan_4-5.php seems to be the standard way of doing it, either this or setting it right into the chimney like a cupboard.

What do you mean by secondary combustion wood stove?

Re exposed flue, there are regs which limit the length of uninsulated flue due to cooling effect leading to poor performance further up the stack and increased condensation

• Advertisement

Carlow52 wrote: »
    What do you mean by secondary combustion wood stove?

Re exposed flue, there are regs which limit the length of uninsulated flue due to cooling effect leading to poor performance further up the stack and increased condensation

This YouTube video explains the difference:

Almost all stoves have the secondary air system and a growing number have a tertiary air feed also. The "conventional stove" in the video is a rarity as its efficiency would be very poor and would not meet the current regulations for certification of stoves.

Really? Because other friends have recently bought a woodstove, and it doesn't have that baffle yoke in the top with the holes in it.

I've just found this Irish-made (by Stanley) stove,

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/Products/1703.htm

which claims the same technology, including secondary combustion. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the same technology as the Scan Andersen and Stovax wood stoves? Is it comparable in performance?

Oh, wait, reading another thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417311&page=6) and they're saying the Stanley stoves aren't made in Ireland. F that for a game of cowboys, I'm back with Stovax so.

Mods, I've just realised that there's a Plumbers and Heating forum - would it be more appropriate to move this there? Sorry, I just didn't see it before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 icejoey

anyone have a wainsford stove installed are they good i am looking at the arthur stove

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Really? Because other friends have recently bought a woodstove, and it doesn't have that baffle yoke in the top with the holes in it.

I've just found this Irish-made (by Stanley) stove,

http://www.waterfordstanley.com/Products/1703.htm

which claims the same technology, including secondary combustion. Does anyone have any experience of this? Is it the same technology as the Scan Andersen and Stovax wood stoves? Is it comparable in performance?

Oh, wait, reading another thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417311&page=6) and they're saying the Stanley stoves aren't made in Ireland. F that for a game of cowboys, I'm back with Stovax so.

Very little is made in Ireland these days.

Why do you think China is No1 in the world now?????;)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Very little is made in Ireland these days.

Why do you think China is No1 in the world now?????;)

I have just checked with Stanley, who say that in fact the Cara is made in their factory in Waterford.

Advertisement