Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OS rebuild partition on a dead hard drive

• 25-03-2011 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Good day everyone.

I'm in the computer maintenance business and one question i cannot get a definitive answer on is as follows.

There was a time when the likes of dell and HP gave you rebuild CD's in case you needed to rebuild windows or replace or upgrade a hard drive.

In more recent years they now only supply a rebuild partition on your existing hard drive.

Of course, hard drives dieing is not at-all uncommon.

After it has died, an end user has no rebuild CD's and no rebuild partition.

The end user is of course entitled to windows (regardless of version) however after purchasing a new hard drive, by what means should an end user replace windows?

- Would the supplier send out a rebuild CD free of charge?
    - Might the end user need to re-purchase windows (not possible with XP)

What is the official position on this situation? I know anyone techie an simply reinstall it for them but then your in to legalities etc.

Appreciate any ones view on this. It's a dilemma I come across at least twice a week. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

Most manufacturers leave the recovery options on a hidden partition (saves them money not supplying disks). They reccomend you burn your recovery disks ASAP in case of HDD failure. Burning the disks will also free-up extra HDD space. If the HDD fails before the Disks have been burnt, you can usually get the recovery disks sent out FOC. If the HDD is still under warranty they may send out a replacement drive & recovery disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

Most manufacturers leave the recovery options on a hidden partition (saves them money not supplying disks). They reccomend you burn your recovery disks ASAP in case of HDD failure. Burning the disks will also free-up extra HDD space. If the HDD fails before the Disks have been burnt, you can usually get the recovery disks sent out FOC. If the HDD is still under warranty they may send out a replacement drive & recovery disks.

This was the area specifically that I was interested in.

Appreciated.

Have you had to do this before? meaning: ask the vendor to supply the recovery disks again.

From experience, some users only know how to use the internet, asking them to burn their recovery to DVD is like asking them to depart the red sea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 InsightTech

I deal with Vendors every day, most will send the disks FOC. If the laptop/PC is out of its DOA (dead on arrival period) they may ask you to pay for the disks as they should have been burnt on receipt of the hardware. If you buy from a reputable reseller they can usually acquire the disks for you as they have a better relationship with vendors.

The support vendors provide is often overlooked when buying IT hardware. No one wants to receive faulty goods, however I would rather pay a little more for hardware that ensures I get good support should there be any problems.

If you don't ask you dont get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I've had this issue with Dell a few times.
    They always try and charge an admin fee of up to 30 Euros to send out a copy of Windows. I've managed to negotiate this down with them most of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

dilallio wrote: »
    I've had this issue with Dell a few times.
    They always try and charge an admin fee of up to 30 Euros to send out a copy of Windows. I've managed to negotiate this down with them most of the time.

So that's their little secret :)

Still when a customer wants to get their machine up and running that would cause an awful delay.

Seems that's just the way it is. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

So that's their little secret :)

Still when a customer wants to get their machine up and running that would cause an awful delay.

Seems that's just the way it is. Thanks for that.

Hey, you're chucknorris! That's not the attitude to have!

Whatever you say should be the way it is!! :D

Or can you roundhouse kick the recovery partition from a dead drive into a new drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,504 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Creating the recovery disks yourself frees up lots of disk space, it's well worth doing and it's a one-off process. I think mine (Lenovo SL510, Windows 7) consists of one bootable CD and two data DVDs.

Advertisement