Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WhatsApp on Meteor PAYG

Options
  • 25-03-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭

If anyone can shed some light on this it'd be great. I had a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I've downloaded WhatsApp for my iPhone on recommendation from a friend. The other half was gonna download it for Android but got an alert saying you must have an unlimited data plan.
    I'm bill pay on iPhone and have 2GB/month so presumably I'm fine. But she's PAYG. She's with Meteor and has the 69c/50MB per day internet add-on. So basically, can she use the app? So long as she doesn't go over the 50MB limit (and how likely is that with this type of app?), is the alert more a warning to prevent people who are PAYG with no real internet plan getting fleeced than a requirement for being able to use it at all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

If anyone can shed some light on this it'd be great. I had a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I've downloaded WhatsApp for my iPhone on recommendation from a friend. The other half was gonna download it for Android but got an alert saying you must have an unlimited data plan.
    I'm bill pay on iPhone and have 2GB/month so presumably I'm fine. But she's PAYG. She's with Meteor and has the 69c/50MB per day internet add-on. So basically, can she use the app? So long as she doesn't go over the 50MB limit (and how likely is that with this type of app?), is the alert more a warning to prevent people who are PAYG with no real internet plan getting fleeced than a requirement for being able to use it at all?

You've answered your own question. Its just a warning from the app creator. Meteor won't stop you using any service. Its all money in the bank for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    You've answered your own question. Its just a warning from the app creator. Meteor won't stop you using any service. Its all money in the bank for them.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So, assuming she doesn't download large images/videos etc sent through the app i.e. just the SMS aspect is being used with plain text, it's unlikely she'd get near the 50MB per day and so should be safe enough to use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks for the quick reply.
    So, assuming she doesn't download large images/videos etc sent through the app i.e. just the SMS aspect is being used with plain text, it's unlikely she'd get near the 50MB per day and so should be safe enough to use it?
    I've never actually used the app itself so I can't give you a definite answer but with all them messenger apps they don't use alot of data. Just keep an eye on your allowance for the first day or two and you will get a good idea of how much it uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'd make sure she has somthing like 3G watchdog active while she is using it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Thanks lads. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Also, meteor changed their t and cs recently, she will be charged 69c each day she uses even the smallest amount of data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

DrumSteve wrote: »
    I'd make sure she has somthing like 3G watchdog active while she is using it also.

I use 3G watchdog myself
    Even though I'm with 3, and they now have "all you can eat" data, I have to say, it's a great app.

Anybody using Android, install this app, setup your daily or monthly allowance and this will do all the counting for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b3KAn5_RSk

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Beware that using whatsapp on that 69c/50mb meteor plan is going to cost approx €20 per month. It's not actually that whatsapp is using much data - it uses barely any but it does need a fairly constant data connection to work. This means you need to have the data connection activated every day! However the Anytime choice option gives a free 250mb per month which would make it more practical.

Advertisement