Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

CatFromHue wrote: »
    interesting article here on nonu:

Pretty bad if true. He has had a few little outbursts I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

send darcy to munster.

no no no... munster need someone on form, darcy isnt the force he used to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Never gonna happen but would snap up season ticket quickly if SBW were to come.

People have already snapped up season tickets quickly for Leinster.

Would be a monstrous waste of a NIQ spot for Leinster and D'Arcy would never move to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

any idea who it is porterbely? any clues? Will it be a big signing. We need a big prop too i think.maybe a lock

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    no no no... munster need someone on form, darcy isnt the force he used to be.

I honsetly don't know how many times I've read almost that exact statement on these boards, yet the man keeps creating space, making yards and performing for Ireland and Leinster. Munster would kill for a 12 like Darcy, and he'll be sorely missed, because McF doesn't look the answer at 12.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Get Sonny-Bill Williams to leinster and send darcy to munster. would be quality move for everyone. Never gonna happen but would snap up season ticket quickly if SBW were to come.

Carefull Now

Get Sonny-Bill Williams to leinster and send darcy to munster. would be quality move for everyone. Never gonna happen but would snap up season ticket quickly if SBW were to come.

Except perhaps Gordan D'Arcy?
    Why would he even dream of moving?

Season tickets are almost gone anyway, and SBW wouldn't be the right type of player to play in the current Leinster setup.

I don't think any of the people mentioned in the post would be happy with it actually!
    SBW - wants to play S15
    D'Arcy - been with Leinster since he was a baby, just won a second Heineken CUp
    Leinster - Have had D'Arcy since he was a baby, have a natural successor in McFadden coming into the light, and have no need to waste an NIQ spot where they are not weak.
    Munster - Need a 12 who will give them 5/6 seasons minimum, really need a 12 who is born and bred Munster, and D'Arcy is probably the last person in a long list who'd be suitable!

(ugh - why did I even bother replying to this?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Aironi completes Masi deal. Good news for the Pro12.
    Masi pens deal with Aironi

Aironi have completed the signing of the most valuable player in Six Nations 2011 by capturing Italian international centre or full-back Andrea Masi.

Masi returns to Zaffanella Stadium, where he played from 2003 to 2006 before starting his adventure in the Top 14 with Biarritz and Racing-Metro.

"I have the opportunity to stay in France with a new Top 14 club, but I decide to return in Viadana because I have a deep connection with the city and because I know to join a serious and structured club that looks to improve and to grow up with a long term plan in which I want to be a main character," Masi said.

The 30-year-old brings to Aironi a wealth of international experience with 60 caps and 13 tries scored for Italy.

After the World Cup - the third of his career - Masi will join Aironi in the new reality of RaboDirect PRO12 to help the Italian side improve.

"I will bring all my experience to help Aironi reaching this target. In the end, I arrive from a similar situation because when I joined Racing-Metro it was a ProD2 team with a long road to go, even if with a lot of ambition. We go through this way to bring Racing to the top level both in France and Europe. Also Aironi have great room for improvement and I will give my contribution in order to realise it," he continued.

"I was in Viadana in the last days talking to President Melegari and Director of Rugby Franco Tonni. Everyone is very excited and this is basic. The club has great ideas and projects for the future and it makes me really happy for my choice."

http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,25883,16024_6979789,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Aironi are getting rid of a lot of their foreign journeyman, probably been forced to by the Italian federation. Good sign that a side that finished bottom of the ML can recruit a player of Masi's quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

wixfjord wrote: »
    Munster would kill for a 12 like Darcy
    They can do a lot better and hopefully will. I'd take De Villiers over him any day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Aidric wrote: »
    They can do a lot better and hopefully will. I'd take De Villiers over him any day of the week.

Ridiculous amont of D'Arcy bashing here. He's just had the worst season of his pro career and he was still more efective then all of the Munster centres combined.

Ridiculous amont of D'Arcy bashing here. He's just had the worst season of his pro career and he was still more efective then all of the Munster centres combined.

all of the Irish centres bar BOD.

Missed one tackle in the 6N, and is crucified.

Hilarious really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Aironi are getting rid of a lot of their foreign journeyman, probably been forced to by the Italian federation. Good sign that a side that finished bottom of the ML can recruit a player of Masi's quality.
    Next season I think the Italian federation was pushing that the Italian teams only have one foreign player in the squad for each unit.

Unit being front row, second row, backrow, halfbacks, centers, and back-three

Really looking forward to some competitive Italian teams, thought it'd be 2/3 more seasons before we'd see them getting into the competition though.

all of the Irish centres bar BOD.

Missed one tackle in the 6N, and is crucified.

Hilarious really.

In fairness, he had a poor 6N. Far more wrong then just one missed tackle. HAd an excellent season for Leinster though.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    In fairness, he had a poor 6N. Far more wrong then just one missed tackle. HAd an excellent season for Leinster though.

In fairness, he didn't. He made more tackles than the rest of our backline put together in more than one game.

He got a ridiculously rough ride. He hasn't been bursting tackles and putting guys away for a few seasons, but his game is now about cutting opposition space and retaining quick ball and or finding the one foot of space around the tackler to get the ball away.

I think the fact that it was so uncharacteristic for him to miss the tackle has resonated the difficulties he's had with standing out for the past 2/3 seasons. He's beginning to fall foul of that awful "unseen work" tag that can hurt players though.

He had poor hands throughout the tournament. He was neither putting players in space nor making holes himself. He was good in defence (bar that atrocious missed tackle), but I don't think that's enough in and of itself.

We'll agree to disagree if you want, but I thought he had a poor 6N and Wallace was very unlucky not to get any decent game-time. He's been excellent for Leinster all season though.

They all had slippy hands in the first two games though, it was systemic. I wouldn't say he was any worse than any of the guys around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Careful Now

Chilax. I seem to have come across as against darcy. I still think he is awesome player and was also saying to people during the 6N to stick with him cause he would come good. I just think he is like a 9/10 player where as Sonny Bill is 10/10 but I prefer SBW's flashy game even though I appreciated d'arcy is just as effective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

They all had slippy hands in the first two games though, it was systemic. I wouldn't say he was any worse than any of the guys around him.

he had a few high profile knock ons in key field positions this season. his defence other than the missed tackle against the french has been good.

he spends alot of times in rucks, could be that he is the first man there.

i dont think this has been his best season. not a bad season, but he can do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭BrianOFlanagan

pajunior wrote: »
    They have won maybe 6 out of the last 10 tri-nations.

You reckon that only a WC is a trophy. In that case only NZ, SA, Aus and Enland have ever won a trophy????:confused:

Get a grip mate, saying SA are the best team in the world because they're the current champions is nonsense.
    GerM wrote: »
    NZ are hands down the best team in the world. How a competition 4 years ago with a handy draw makes S.A. the best team in the world is beyond me. NZ have won 5 of the last 6 Tri Nations tournaments. If they had the draw that S.A. had in 2007 they would be champions now. France were arguably the only side that could stop them given the fact that France seem to have a psychological hex over them. S.A. played Fiji, Argentina and England in the knock out stages. If you had to select one opponent out of the quarter finals and semi finals to play you would choose Fiji and Argentina. NZ stuffed SA home and away last season in the Tri Nations. There's a gulf between them currently.

When they prove categorically that they are the best, then I will call them the best. Until then its just a hollow ranking. We're 4th for instance, does that reflect our true ability? Realistically no we're not that good. NZ ranking is just the same until they prove it and since we have only 1 competition comprising of the best international teams then the RWC is where it counts. Winning is everything, 2nd is the 1st loser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Winning is everything

But winning 5 out of the last 6 Tri-Nations is not, evidently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Who said anything about ranking? Basing it on ranking is like basing it on a tournament played 4 years ago. NZ have beaten SA black and blue over the last few years. They've come first in the Tri Nations and are the reigning champions. None of your arguments hold any substance whatsoever. If NZ and SA played tomorrow, who would be the clear favourite to win? NZ. Why? Because they're the better team.

End of discussion.

When they prove categorically that they are the best, then I will call them the best. Until then its just a hollow ranking. We're 4th for instance, does that reflect our true ability? Realistically no we're not that good. NZ ranking is just the same until they prove it and since we have only 1 competition comprising of the best international teams then the RWC is where it counts. Winning is everything, 2nd is the 1st loser.

but nz have won the world cup!

they did it in 87.

so by your logic are the australians the best team in the world as they won 2 world cups, neither of which were in australia.

you do know of the 15 tri nation tournaments nz have won 10 of em, they have beaten every other team in the world more times than they lost.

also new zealand teams have won the super 10/12/14 tournament 10 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Andy Powell spotted today on Paul St. in Munster training kit... all I can say is why why why?!!!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

We're 4th for instance, does that reflect our true ability? Realistically no we're not that good.

...Am I the only one who thinks we are that good. At the very least we're 5th.

zinzan wrote: »
    Andy Powell spotted today on Paul St. in Munster training kit... all I can say is why why why?!!!! :(

is there proof of this?

powell has signed for Sale.

this could be an elaborate joke by him or a case of mistaken identity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

munster pre season doesnt start for another few weeks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Or some random internet punter winding people up...

• Advertisement

thanking you :)
    also could just be someone saying it chancing their arm for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭budhabob

Oh thank god,nearly shat myself there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭zinzan

Happy to hear that! A mate of mine saw him today (not the easiest guy to confuse!), said he had Munster training shirt on - He's probably just looking for a golf buggy...

but nz have won the world cup
    GerM wrote: »
    End of discussion
    But winning 5 out of the last 6 Tri-Nations is not, evidently.

I'm not saying they're not the best. I'm saying they need to prove it for themselves if nothing else by winning the RWC (in the pro era). If Toulouse made it to all those European and Domestic finals and hadn't won any they wouldn't be considered the best European club side ever.

Yes GerM end of dicussion.

I'm not saying they're not the best. QUOTE]

you sure about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

liam12989 wrote: »
    any idea who it is porterbely? any clues? Will it be a big signing. We need a big prop too i think.maybe a lock

No idea really. I heard we were talking to a centre from Toulon awhile back but I don't know is it the same player that is signing now. Should be something announced very soon.

We need a tighthead, at least one 2nd row, 2 centres and an outside back to cover ourselves for the season. However, with the way the budget is, there's only room for one centre so players are going to have play through the pain barrier as usual for alot of the season. The likes of Treviso and Aironi in particular are recruiting heavily and well, Masi to Aironi is huge. These are the teams we're expected to be ahead of in the Magners but when you look at the money they can throw about and the players they're getting on board it will be a big ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

jolley123 wrote: »
    ...Am I the only one who thinks we are that good. At the very least we're 5th.
    4th to 6th is separated by 1/2 of 1 ranking point and I think we could realistically claim any of the three spots imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

zinzan wrote: »

He was in the legendary Castle Inn with Mike Phillips on Thursday night, it doesn't seats let along bar stools so he was fine!

I'm not saying they're not the best. QUOTE]

you sure about that?

Yes. Quote in context and take the next line also. The answer to your mystery will be found there. Over and out.

When they prove categorically that they are the best, then I will call them the best. Until then its just a hollow ranking.

you sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Who is the best then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,935 ✭✭✭jacothelad

roycon wrote: »
    "New Zealand are a bunch of pansy chokers" - what are ireland so?

we'll let you off with this one presuming youre about 12 years old

He was being ironic.

you sure about that?

Yep
    danthefan wrote: »
    Who is the best then?

The team that wins the RWC. That's what it's for.

http://www.espnscrum.com/francetop14-2010-11/rugby/story/141461.html

Dupuy set to stay at Stade despite pressure from Kelleher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Just watching the Italy v Russia and Russia's no.6 Victor Gresev is playing very very well.

He had an impressive Churchill Cup last year as well. One of the clubs in the premiership, or anybody for that matter would do well to grab him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

d-gal wrote: »

as ive said before ma'a nonus older brother has lived and worked in dublin and played for suttonians for about 5 years now. it could be a big factor along with the english speaking in him picking ireland over france or japan

jolley123 wrote: »
    Just watching the Italy v Russia and Russia's no.6 Victor Gresev is playing very very well.

He had an impressive Churchill Cup last year as well. One of the clubs in the premiership, or anybody for that matter would do well to grab him.

If munster need to sign a 6 for a big proformer as well as bringing up their own home grown.
    He would be a great buy. And probly wouldnt cost too much either. Fine player.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    If munster need to sign a 6 for a big proformer as well as bringing up their own home grown.
    He would be a great buy. And probly wouldnt cost too much either. Fine player.

Dunno if he's worth an NIQ spot for Munster considering the talent they could attract. But as you said, he wouldn't cost much, so a premiership side should be looking at him. Toby Booth was one of the panelists, I wonder if he took notice. Might see him wearing a L.I. shirt next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

roycon wrote: »
    as ive said before ma'a nonus older brother has lived and worked in dublin and played for suttonians for about 5 years now. it could be a big factor along with the english speaking in him picking ireland over france or japan

I'm open to correction but, wasn't he only there for a season after stints at Newbridge and Mary's the year before? In any event, Pale Nonu is now based in England with Rotherham.... unless there's a third brother in Ireland?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/13573782.stm

Advertisement