Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Hagz wrote: »
    Wow
    6. Bearman Always injured
    7. O'Toole Totally untested
    8. Stowers Always banned

Not bad at all. And they've got depth in Jones, Tipuric and Thomas.

I reserve the right to not tremble with fear at that one!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

I reserve the right to not tremble with fear at that one!

I concur! That's not a great HEC standard backrow imo anyway. Has anyone seen this stupid name O Toole guy bar in the Churchill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

wixfjord wrote: »
    I concur! That's not a great HEC standard backrow imo anyway. Has anyone seen this stupid name O Toole guy bar in the Churchill?

No but neither did many people see McFaddden or Felix Jones outside the Churchill Cup and look where they are now.

I think it's a decent back-row.
    Bearman has been a stand-out player for the Dragons. Stowers has a lot of experience and is a good player. It's unfair to say he's always banned. He played 27 games games last season, that's more that SOB. And O'Toole looked impressive in the Churchill Cup. Granted the level of talent wouldn't match up to the Heineken Cup, but he may well be a good find for the Ospreys.

Stev_o wrote: »
    No but neither did many people see McFaddden or Felix Jones outside the Churchill Cup and look where they are now.

They were known beforehand, were far younger, played very well in a Churchill Cup winning team, play in a much different position and didn't get an off the cuff move to a team renowned for overpaid and lazy stars though!
    Big difference!

It smacks of a reaction based on a few games to me, I would wager that the Ospreys hadn't heard of this guy before the CC. He's played Canadian club rugby, and the Warriors didn't see fit to keep him, so, based on that, a HEC standard 7 he is not in my view!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

I think it's a decent back-row.
    Bearman has been a stand-out player for the Dragons. Stowers has a lot of experience and is a good player. It's unfair to say he's always banned. He played 27 games games last season, that's more that SOB. And O'Toole looked impressive in the Churchill Cup. Granted the level of talent wouldn't match up to the Heineken Cup, but he may well be a good find for the Ospreys.

It's decent, Hagz, but nothing more. The players are journeymen and I'm a fan of Bearman and Stowers. They're hardworking and consistent but they're never going to set the world alight. They'll be a good Pro12 unit but they won't trouble anyone at a higher level. There are some very good back row units in the Pro12 so even then, I would be surprised if they stood out too much. Teams like Glasgow have better back rows and struggle.

GerM wrote: »
    It's decent, Hagz, but nothing more. The players are journeymen and I'm a fan of Bearman and Stowers. They're hardworking and consistent but they're never going to set the world alight. They'll be a good Pro12 unit but they won't trouble anyone at a higher level. There are some very good back row units in the Pro12 so even then, I would be surprised if they stood out too much. Teams like Glasgow have better back rows and struggle.

Exactly, it's decent. Nobody said it was better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

They were known beforehand, were far younger, played very well in a Churchill Cup winning team, play in a much different position and didn't get an off the cuff move to a team renowned for overpaid and lazy stars though!
    Big difference!

It smacks of a reaction based on a few games to me, I would wager that the Ospreys hadn't heard of this guy before the CC. He's played Canadian club rugby, and the Warriors didn't see fit to keep him, so, based on that, a HEC standard 7 he is not in my view!

Between a few avivid Leinster supporters. How many matches were they appearing for Leinster before the CC? Are you suggesting that they were over rated then because they played for a team that breezed through the tournament? Surely a stand out player playing in a very sub par team then is one to keep a eye out.

Im not saying this guy is the second coming of Christ but my god people are quick to cut down a player when there are several examples of similar people coming up this way and becoming quite successful.

Exactly, it's decent. Nobody said it was better than that.

Fair enough, the "wow" comment made me think otherwise.

• Advertisement

Stev_o wrote: »
    Between a few avivid Leinster supporters. How many matches were they appearing for Leinster before the CC? Are you suggesting that they were over rated then because they played for a team that breezed through the tournament? Surely a stand out player playing in a very sub par team then is one to keep a eye out.

Im not saying this guy is the second coming of Christ but my god people are quick to cut down a player when there are several examples of similar people coming up this way and becoming quite successful.

Are you simply looking for someone to row with or what?!

I've stated the facts, he's 25, has no previous bar being let go by the Warriors, and played well (well, made a few runs, he hardly dominated a powerful backrow) in the CC.

I've stated the difference in the players you mentioned, and I'm sure quite a few Irish rugby fans, myself included, could have told you that Mcfadden and Jones were earmarked as future internationals before that tournament, whereas Ospreys are taking a punt on this guy.

Fair play to him if he turns out great, and I hope he does, looked good in the CC.
    The facts are, he's no Marty Holah, and that's not a great backrow.

Also, his name is the same as a Pokemon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Also, his name is the same as a Pokemon.

Which one is that? I thought I'd collected 'em all!

:pac:

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Which one is that? I thought I'd collected 'em all!

:pac:

Didn't collect this lil bastard obvously!

chansey.gif

(Chansey)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Chansey is said to bring happiness to those who are lucky enough to capture it. A kind-hearted and charitable Pokémon, Chansey will share its eggs with injured Pokémon it may come across.

He doesn't sound so tough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Sometimes I love this forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Good for him. I'd like to see how he gets on up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Anyone know what the story is with Tommy Bowe, when does his contract with Ospreys expire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

danthefan wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with Tommy Bowe, when does his contract with Ospreys expire?

End of this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

End of this season

I thought he signed a 3 year deal in 09/10? Maybe I'm wrong....

I thought he signed a 3 year deal in 09/10? Maybe I'm wrong....

He did. Not sure if the last year is on an option basis but it was definitely reported as a 3 year deal.

09/10
    10/11
    11/12

3 years up, everyone's happy and right above. What's with the confusion? He's free at the end of this season as said?

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

James Johnston & billy Vunipola signed for Saracens (Source: Sky sports news tracker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

liam12989 wrote: »
    James Johnston & billy Vunipola signed for Saracens (Source: Sky sports news tracker)
    Lots of stuff going on behind the scenes with Vunipola signing. Wasps saying they are stunned by the move and will make official statement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

Eoin Sherrif has resigned as well; fair play

• Advertisement

The signing of James Johnston from Quins is a strange one too. He's Quins first choice, is only 26 and so must be in the Senior or upper pay bracket. Or at least would expect to be moving into it.

This alone wouldn't be a big thing but there is a salary cap in England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Fishooks13

leftleg wrote: »
    Eoin Sherrif has resigned as well; fair play

Not sure who he is? Enlighten me! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Salary cap? What salary cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Salary cap? What salary cap

Yeah, there is no earthly way Saracens are staying within the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Fishooks13 wrote: »

Former Leinster second row. Left maybe two years ago for England. Still young enough to come back if he becomes good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Fishooks13 wrote: »

Former Leinster academy second row, played 15 times for Leinster A and once for the senior team. Haven't been watching Saracens regularly, but it looks like he is getting a reasonable amount of gametime (mostly off the bench) at Saracens. Fair play to him indeed

EDIT: Beaten to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sherrif has a great reputation over here. One of my mates (a forward coach with a pretty good rep) was telling me about Sarries a good young English second row coming through called Owen Sherrif!

Fair play, putting in the work to come through as a first choice lock in the premiership can turn him into a player who will be very valuable to any team in the Rabo. Lets hope he can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

Alex Corbisiero signs for Northampton 3 year deal (sky sports)

French media reporting that Kahn Fotuali'i is going to Northampton from Ospreys. Apparently both Myler and Lamb are leaving, so Fotuali'i may play 10 at Saints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

French media reporting that Kahn Fotuali'i is going to Northampton from Ospreys. Apparently both Myler and Lamb are leaving, so Fotuali'i may play 10 at Saints.

Wow, that could have the Ospreys fubared. They're a totally different team with Fotuali'i behind the scrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Well NH need some good props with their first choice LH and TH moving off to france.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Apparently London Irish had no objection to him leaving, his knee is supposed to be a wreck and may not have much longer left apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Gah. The one player I'd love to see at Leinster... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

Have never seen him play 10 before. Cracking 9 doesn't strike me as a very steady OH. Anyone any insight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wonder if they'll offer Eden Hazard a contract after his impressive display of rucking in the Liberty Stadium tonight, could be a decent little scrum half :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

P_1 wrote: »
    Wonder if they'll offer Eden Hazard a contract after his impressive display of rucking in the Liberty Stadium tonight, could be a decent little scrum half :D

That's what you get for lying all over the ball in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

As this is a rumours thread, one of my college friends that's living in Wellington NZ, said that Robbie Freaun is in contact with Munster. (Or vise versa)
    I don't know much about the guy, but he plays with Crusaders and didn't get on the ABs team so he's open to going abroad. (if he is near the ABs squad, he must be half decent). Do Munster have space for a NIQ???
    Does anyone know if he is nearly out of contract of am I being sold a pig in a poke

Laulala is under contract until the end of next season so there's no space.

The bits I saw of Fruean looked pretty good, then again that was when SBW was inside him drawing defenders and feeding beautiful offloads. Opinion is divided on Fruean if you read around tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Laulala is under contract until the end of next season so there's no space.

The bits I saw of Fruean looked pretty good, then again that was when SBW was inside him drawing defenders and feeding beautiful offloads. Opinion is divided on Fruean if you read around tbh.

I'm being sold a pig in a poke so. If there's no space, there's no space.
    I was hoping he'd be some kinda explosive center. As I think Casey lualala isn't really cutting it IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

As this is a rumours thread, one of my college friends that's living in Wellington NZ, said that Robbie Freaun is in contact with Munster. (Or vise versa)
    I don't know much about the guy, but he plays with Crusaders and didn't get on the ABs team so he's open to going abroad. (if he is near the ABs squad, he must be half decent). Do Munster have space for a NIQ???
    Does anyone know if he is nearly out of contract of am I being sold a pig in a poke
    Personally I'd snap him up in a second (for either Leinster or Munster,).

He is a good player that has been talked about as an AB for a couple of years but hasn't been called up once yet.

He can play 13 or left wing.

I'm pretty he is out of contract after next years NPC season.

If signed he would count as a project player, unless he decides to presue an internation career with Samoa.

I've heard that Munster are in contact with a couple 'All Blacks', but I don't know who they are or if they're current All Blacks. I know how pointless/annoying these 'Ive heard" things are though so disregard it by all means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Lucky Saints can't see him play OH though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Robbie Fruean is a bit of a mixed bag, has not really fulfilled early promise. He looked a great player 2 years ago, but that is probably due to the space afforded to him by opposition defenders who were kept busy by Sonny Bill Williams, Guildford, Maitland and Dagg. He benefited from the space created by the others, so I think they made him look like a better players than he actually is. Did not see him that much last season, but when I did he looked pretty poor and off his game. Maybe a change of scene would benefit him.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Howlett may be finished at the end of the season, Botha going to Toulon possibly and Wian Du Preez being behind Kilcoyne could move on, 3 NIQ spots right there.

Freuan is a special player, was classed as a special project with the Crusaders and wass hopeful of making AB squads recently and for the WC, but didn't. He's exceptionally powerful, great hands and a fine set of wheels, if there was even a sniff of interest from Freuan to come to Munster than snap him up. We need a nailed on powerful 13, possibly a 2nd row and a TH Prop if BJ is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

P_1 wrote: »

somehow I doubt the ball boy is in the academy :confused:

Advertisement