Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yes, they are definitely losing Luke Rooney. David Smith will probably negotitate a release as well, he's been in the doghouse for a while.

A lot of Toulon fans are not happy about the foreign influx, there's a few good products from their academy like Pierrick Gunther and Vincent Martin that showed up really well at the start of the season and now they cannot get a game. Orioli is the only academy product that is first choice when fully fit.

Toulon are investing in their youth structure though, they plan to start a new program in Nice. The current JIFF rules mean 55% of the squad has top have been developed through a French academy, similar to the 'homegrown' rule in the EPL. This percentage is supposed to increase over the next few years. Apparently there are employment laws that block a restriction based on being French Qualified, although I'm not certain on that.

Not to defend Toulon, but Racing Métro will have few French players in their lineup next season as well. It's not good for the national team that the likes of Wisniewski will be watching the likes of Sexton from the bench.

It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, that affects the French national side and how quickly the 55% will increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

molloyjh wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see how, if at all, that affects the French national side and how quickly the 55% will increase.

or decrease..

Gael Fickou is another product of the Toulon academy. When he moved to Toulouse last season he was asked what the difference was between Toulon and Toulouse. "They speak French in Toulouse" was his answer.

The actual age bracket of most of Toulon's players is quite old. Are the owners pockets bottomless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's supposed to be 70% by now based on the original plans isn't it?

It will get there eventuallly. They do want to push the clubs in that direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I do think it's an overall positive for the hemisphere teams to face more Southern Hemisphere folk. but i'm glad it's not and irish team that suffers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's supposed to be 70% by now based on the original plans isn't it?

It will get there eventuallly. They do want to push the clubs in that direction.

The problem for the French national team is those players that come through the academy don't have to be French born or go on to play for France. Two of Toulon's espoirs, Chilachava and Mikautadze, both came through the Toulon academy but have been capped by Georgia. Both Armitage brothers count as JIFF players despite being capped by England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Looks like Stade Francais have signed Digby Ioane on a two-year deal.

Haven't seen much of Ioane since the World Cup but Stade Francais have made a real coup there. They are a mid-table French club these days and Ioane could probably do better!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

seriously?????? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Bogota

WHAT?! who on earth are Leinster going to sign?

Please don't tell me that Zane Kirchner is our man to replace Nacewa. With Fitzgerald chronically injured, Carr and Conway gone and Kearney and BOD away (so McFadden will fill 13) we are going to be horribly short of back 3 quality players.

• Advertisement

Leinster just need an experienced winger for international window coverage.

I personally hope our first choice wingers next season are two of Fitzgerald, McFadden and Dave Kearney.

Supposedly they are looking for someone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I'm not too annoyed about Toulon only starting 3 French players. It's not like France is struggling for top quality players on the national level. Very deep at nearly every position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

matthew8 wrote: »
    I'm not too annoyed about Toulon only starting 3 French players. It's not like France is struggling for top quality players on the national level. Very deep at nearly every position.

Jackman was on Against the Head after the U20s France game saying there's a serious problem brewing in French rugby at the moment due to the French clubs buying in foreign players at the expense of developing younger talent. Their U20s were very poor this season.

I really do hope Leinster are in the market for a new winger. We can't lose 3 back 3 players and only replace them with 1.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

J
    I really do hope Leinster are in the market for a new winger. We can't lose 3 back 3 players and only replace them with 1.

Especially with no obvious player graduating from the academy.

Don't know what to expect from Hudson next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Munster13

Anyone heard of any Munster targets or rumours, because we will need some key signings, and I've heard nothing so far and its frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Grenoble have signed Fijian wing Ratu Alipate Raitini (22). Bernard Jackson confirmed it on twitter. Decent signing.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

Apparently there are employment laws that block a restriction based on being French Qualified

The FFR will only get the amount of foreigners down if they can introduce a licence system to control spending etc. All the power is with the clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Yeah, he's not a bad half-back, should have got more AB caps in my opinion. He got injured at the wrong time, and when he came back the new breed had arrived. He's definitely Rabo-worthy, especially given Italian rugby is not reknown for its halfbacks.

According to Midi Olymique, Toulon are close to signing Bismarck du Plessis who would arrive after the Rugby Championship. They do need a hooker and who better than Bismarck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

According to Midi Olymique, Toulon are close to signing Bismarck du Plessis who would arrive after the Rugby Championship. They do need a hooker and who better than Bismarck.

It just gets more and more ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

After this morning's papers seemed to have all but confirmed that Jacques Potgieter had signed for Saracens, he has gone and signed for the Waratahs. Good signing for them, I think they will be challenging the Reds next year for the second best team in the Aussie conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Tamati Ellison has signed a one year contract with the Rebels, very good signing for them. They have been missing something in the centres, and he will certainly enhance their team.

Earlier this week, Lachie Turner signed for the Reds. Easier for him to make the 1st team at the Reds compared to the Tahs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Tamati Ellison has signed a one year contract with the Rebels, very good signing for them. They have been missing something in the centres, and he will certainly enhance their team.

Earlier this week, Lachie Turner signed for the Reds. Easier for him to make the 1st team at the Reds compared to the Tahs.

The NZRFU turned down Ellison, no doubt got tired of his peripatetic ways. Good signing for the Rebels he is class, even though I don't understand why he turned his back on playing for NZ.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    peripatetic.

No, You're perry pathetic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Jungle drums are beating that Money Bill Williams will be on the move after the Rugby League World Cup (:pac:. . . . . World Cup)

He is playing in the NRL Grand Final this weekend for the Roosters, then the World Cup coming up in England, then.....

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8733438

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Jungle drums are beating that Money Bill Williams will be on the move after the Rugby League World Cup (:pac:. . . . . World Cup)

He is playing in the NRL Grand Final this weekend for the Roosters, then the World Cup coming up in England, then.....

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8733438

...the Chiefs.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't return to rugby in NZ. What better way to increase your profile than feature in RWC 2015?

After that, it's anyone's guess.

Swiwi. wrote: »
    ...the Chiefs.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't return to rugby in NZ. What better way to increase your profile than feature in RWC 2015?

After that, it's anyone's guess.

Replace Giteau at Toulon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Huge blow for Leicester, hard to see them dominating for much longer with that team.

• Advertisement

matthew8 wrote: »
    Huge blow for Leicester, hard to see them dominating for much longer with that team.

Talk of Freddie Burns moving to replace Flood, that wouldn't weaken them I think.

Could never understand signing Lamb though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Flood tweeted earlier saying he hasn't made his mind up yet and won't until January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Shockingly it seems SBW has rejoined the Chiefs on a 2 year deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

P_1 wrote: »

Shockingly? I'd say textbook journeyman really. His plan is to get back in an all black jersey for 2015.

Say what you will about him, but he's a brilliant athlete and I actually have a lot of respect for him. How can you not? A bloke that plays in 3 world cups in 4 years and probably reach the final of all three.

I say journeyman, but I mean that as a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

.ak wrote: »
    Shockingly? I'd say textbook journeyman really. His plan is to get back in an all black jersey for 2015.

Say what you will about him, but he's a brilliant athlete and I actually have a lot of respect for him. How can you not? A bloke that plays in 3 world cups in 4 years and probably reach the final of all three.

His new contract allows him to play Olympic 7s as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Ah I was posting with my tongue fairly in my cheek when I used the word shockingly.

He's also a fairly successful boxer too. He just strikes me as an incredibly talented athlete who just wants to succeed in everything he tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

P_1 wrote: »

2014 is NRL then back to NZRU for 2015 on.

Flood tweeted earlier saying he hasn't made his mind up yet and won't until January

Cockerill says he's leaving and has told Leicester. He may not have made up his mind as to where that will be.

Cockerill says he's leaving and has told Leicester. He may not have made up his mind as to where that will be.

A bit like when the IRFU came and said they had ceased negotiations with Sexton before he had actually signed with Racing.. I wonder if this hampers Floods bargaining position?

In other news reports that James O'Connor has signed with Toulon for next season. The circle of clubs interested in 1/2p and Warburton is becoming smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Super Sidious

He had to say that, as negotiations with players are not allowed untill January 1st.

Agents are allowed to be spoken to by respective clubs...

I can't believe any rumours about players after ROG's 'Failed' move to Miami for 3 Million dollars... LOL!

Freddy Burns should be No.1 choice, followed by Priestland.

Winters wrote: »
    A bit like when the IRFU came and said they had ceased negotiations with Sexton before he had actually signed with Racing.. I wonder if this hampers Floods bargaining position?

In other news reports that James O'Connor has signed with Toulon for next season. The circle of clubs interested in 1/2p and Warburton is becoming smaller.

It's a shame that JOC won't be playing in the World Cup or for Australia in general, he's a class act when his head is in the game. I thought London Irish's new owners might break the bank to keep him, as a statement of intent.

I imagine JOC's primary positions (as a direct replacement for Wilkinson) will be 10 and 12 which he will rotate with Matt Giteau, as Toulon have huge resources in the back three.

A possible 9-15 is Kockott, Giteau, Mitchell, O'Connor, Basteraud, Habana, Armitage which is insane!

Just noticed that ex Munster prop has moved from Free State to Lyon in Pro D2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Winters wrote: »
    Just noticed that ex Munster prop has moved from Free State to Lyon in Pro D2.

Wian Du Preez?

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Wian Du Preez?

Yes sorry forgot to add his name!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Steve Perchance

It's a shame that JOC won't be playing in the World Cup or for Australia in general, he's a class act when his head is in the game. I thought London Irish's new owners might break the bank to keep him, as a statement of intent.

I imagine JOC's primary positions (as a direct replacement for Wilkinson) will be 10 and 12 which he will rotate with Matt Giteau, as Toulon have huge resources in the back three.

A possible 9-15 is Kockott, Giteau, Mitchell, O'Connor, Basteraud, Habana, Armitage which is insane!

Last I heard, Kockott had changed his mind and is staying with Castres - http://www.espn.co.uk/france/rugby/story/208061.html

• Advertisement

Last I heard, Kockott had changed his mind and is staying with Castres - http://www.espn.co.uk/france/rugby/story/208061.html

Boudjellal was quoted this week saying that Kockott contacted him to confirm that he will honour the pre-contract.

Wisniewski going to Grenoble from Racing apparently. That's a very good capture for Grenoble and a good move for Wisniewski who was destined for bench duty in Paris as soon as Sexton was signed.

Wisniewski going to Grenoble from Racing apparently. That's a very good capture for Grenoble and a good move for Wisniewski who was destined for bench duty in Paris as soon as Sexton was signed.

Great signing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Racing will probably be looking for another 10 then, I'd imagine.

Racing will probably be looking for another 10 then, I'd imagine.

I'd say they might struggle to attract a good replacement for a couple of reasons, they won't want to spend big on a likely bench player and also any potential arrival knows they are competing with Sexton! Perhaps they will look at using Hernandez more at 10 next year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement