Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well realistically Sexton isn't going to play EVERY game, far from it, and if the money is right...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Well realistically Sexton isn't going to play EVERY game, far from it, and if the money is right...

ROG comeback! :D

Brew and Byrne to Dragons confirmed: http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/News/Article/32321

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brew and Byrne to Dragons confirmed: http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/News/Article/32321

Bit of a coup for the Dragons. Byrne is past his best but this should be a boost for them.

Hopefully we'll see them in the Pro 12:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Biggest rugby transfer news of the year. He had mentioned before about playing abroad but never thought he would skip the World Cup for it. At least Australia have Higginbotham coming back, but this has got to shock them.
    Wallabies and ACT Brumbies captain Ben Mowen will quit Australian rugby on Thursday, deciding to put family before his World Cup dream and move his career to Europe at the end of 2014.
    In a move which will shock Australian rugby and the Brumbies, Fairfax Media can reveal Mowen, 29, says an intense travel schedule and missing time with daughter Eleanor convinced him it was time to put family first.
    It's an unprecedented situation for an incumbent Test captain, effectively immediately ending his international career and ruling him out of the Wallabies' 2015 World Cup.
    It comes just seven months after Mowen made his Test debut and after he was promoted to captain for the Grand Slam tour of Europe in November.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/ben-mowen-to-quit-australian-rugby-20140109-30inm.html

Toulon were rumoured to be looking at Mowen so this could be good news for Leinster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Biggest rugby transfer news of the year. He had mentioned before about playing abroad but never thought he would skip the World Cup for it. At least Australia have Higginbotham coming back, but this has got to shock them.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/ben-mowen-to-quit-australian-rugby-20140109-30inm.html

Yeah just saw that too. Mowen was pretty good in 2013, big loss for Australia if confirmed. I guess when Mowen was in Europe he realised the grass was greener here...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did Umaga not do something kinda similar with Toulon, instead of going to the RWC07 he went to coach them instead?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did Umaga not do something kinda similar with Toulon, instead of going to the RWC07 he went to coach them instead?

Nah he retired in early 2006 - and at the right time too, rather than hanging on too long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

According to wikipedia he played the 2007 Super rugby season so he retired in May 07.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    According to wikipedia he played the 2007 Super rugby season so he retired in May 07.

Retired from ABs in 2006 to clarify

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Can't blame Mowen really; so late coming to true top-level rugby, he probably hasn't had the most lucrative of careers so the chance of a payday would have been hard to resist.

Can't blame Mowen really; so late coming to true top-level rugby, he probably hasn't had the most lucrative of careers so the chance of a payday would have been hard to resist.

Yeah, I imagine there will be a glut of people looking for contracts post 2015...supply and demand and all that, so take the payday while it's on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Toulon have lost Van Niekirk and Bruni so are looking for replacements in SOB an another which now looks to be Mowen! Van Niekirk retiring and Bruni heading for Perpingnan. Also Masoe out for season so one cannot be sure of his condition come start of new season

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

ssaye2 wrote: »

Is sivivatu retiring?

Woody1997 wrote: »
    Is sivivatu retiring?

He's signed for Castres on a three year deal, all but confirmed. Clermont only offered a two year deal I think.

He's signed for Castres on a three year deal, all but confirmed. Clermont only offered a two year deal I think.

That'll be a great signing for them, he still has a lot to offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Woody1997 wrote: »
    That'll be a great signing for them, he still has a lot to offer

I think Castres are doing better in that exchange.

Hope he goes well. Phenomenal player.

Bit of a snub for players like him getting ignored in IRB awards not playing tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

While he's a good signing, I'd fully back Clermont in not giving a 32 year old winger three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Morf wrote: »
    I think Castres are doing better in that exchange.

Hope he goes well. Phenomenal player.

Bit of a snub for players like him getting ignored in IRB awards not playing tests.

I dunno, he'll bound to start winding down. I think Guildford still has yet to play his best rugby. Could be a very smart move.

Buer wrote: »
    While he's a good signing, I'd fully back Clermont in not giving a 32 year old winger three years.

I'd say Clermont were still gutted to lose him though. Watch back Racing-Clermont in October in the HEC to see how good he is.

I'd say Clermont were still gutted to lose him though. Watch back Racing-Clermont in October in the HEC to see how good he is.

Oh I agree, he's class and was superb in that game but it's unlikely he is going to be performing in 2017 the way he was in 2013. If Castres are willing to offer him three years, all the best to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Buer wrote: »
    Oh I agree, he's class and was superb in that game but it's unlikely he is going to be performing in 2017 the way he was in 2013. If Castres are willing to offer him three years, all the best to them!

I guess the outlay on Sivivatu might be worth 18 months-2 years with a tail off rather than Guildford who I've never been terrible impressed with.

Guildford does have issues outside of rugby that haven't necessarily totally gone away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I read somewhere online from a very reliable source that Jared Payne is going to Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Grimebox wrote: »
    I read somewhere online from a very reliable source that Jared Payne is going to Leinster

:pac:

Dream on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

6Ja5rHT.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If true....

tumblr_lrnchk3WR01qbvp03.gif

If not...

tumblr_mw5uu43u171slh2rlo1_400.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

If it was online could you link it

I think Grimebox may be pulling our collective leg.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

If it was online could you link it

In the Leinster thread people were joking about it then it started to be taken very seriously. For example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Penalty against Grimebox for not releasing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

he has signed for Dragons so don't know how he could be going to leinster.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    he has signed for Dragons so don't know how he could be going to leinster.

I think you're getting mixed up. Byrne signed for Dragons, the 'rumour' was Payne to Leinster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No, its actually Shaun Payne, going to push Zane and Rob for FB, and manage the team, and present the table quiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Apparently even though they couldn't compete on money with Ulster they offered Payne the next OLSC legends tshirt and that clinched the deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I think you're getting mixed up. Byrne signed for Dragons, the 'rumour' was Payne to Leinster!

sorry only half read, correct thats who i was thinking of.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think Grimebox is walking in dangerous territory. :mad:

Apparently even though they couldn't compete on money with Ulster they offered Payne the next OLSC legends tshirt and that clinched the deal

Apparently he's been homesick for New Zealand, so they offered to rename the RDS "the House of Payne", so as to massage his enormous ego but also remind him of cold, rainy nights in Dunedin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Apparently he's been homesick for New Zealand, so they offered to rename the RDS "the House of Payne", so as to massage his enormous ego but also remind him of cold, rainy nights in Dunedin.

Edinburgh Rugby have gotten wind of this and are keen to take him to the "Edinburgh of the North" .... i.e. Edinburgh!

• Advertisement

Just read on PR that Will Genia is being linked to Bath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

bilston wrote: »

Is that meant be before or after RWC? Big lose for Australia if he goes before the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Useful understudy for Stringer ;)

wtf?

wtf?

Their owner is worth a few hundred million (salary cap, chortle) and they've signed some very good players, resulting in them steadily improving. Not too surprised to see them being linked with big names.

If there was a HEC next season, they'd be a real headache to be in a pool with.

Grenoble are in talks with Gio Aplon and Francis Saili.

wtf?

Added to what Buer said I suppose the BT money is a factor now as well. we've seen Gloucester sign Afoa and I'd expect a few more big signings before long for the PRL.

Interesting that James O'Connor is supposedly heading back to Super Rugby, is this confirmed? Great player and should definitely be playing come RWC 2015

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Just read

"Ieuan Jones confirms on Twitter that he's leaving the dragons and joining the blues.

Thankfully the blues have actually signed a replacement for our outgoing 8 (copeland) and have a lot of cover for outgoing 6 (pretorious)."

Advertisement