Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

.ak wrote: »
    Really? I never knew that. So much man-love for that guy.

Indeed. His father (he of the one time pitch invasion) is a high quality cattle trader and IH has worked in it all his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

ingo1984 wrote: »
    Article Published: Wednesday 22 January 2014

Tweet
    Bull’s centre Jan Serfontein has resisted the lure of English and French rugby clubs and signed a pre-contract agreement with Munster.
    The 20-year-old back, who has scored 1 try in 9 tests since his South African debut in 2013, has signed a pre-contract agreement with Munster.
    A versatile performer, who can play on the wing or in the centres, Serfontein is reported to have rejected offers from clubs in both England and France.
    "This Munster team has shown it has what it takes to compete with the best in Europe and I look forward to playing my role in bringing further success to Munster” Serfontein said of the announcement.

I look forward to wondering why he isn't getting more game-time with Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

who_me wrote: »
    I look forward to wondering why he isn't getting more game-time with Munster.

Hopefully he can make the B&I Cup squad! :D

Wyn Jones staying with the Ospreys!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Not sure where this goes
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9130947,00.html
    Seven sign Springbok contracts

Jurie Roux, CEO of SARU, confirmed that there was scope to contract additional players if the coach wished.

The seven newly-contracted players are Marcell Coetzee (loose forward), JJ Engelbrecht (centre/wing), Francois Hougaard (scrum-half), Patrick Lambie (fly-half/full-back), Willie le Roux (full-back/wing), Coenie Oosthuizen (prop) and Flip van der Merwe (lock).

The core group of Springboks are now nationally contracted, which bodes well for the next two seasons as we step up preparations for the Rugby World Cup in England in 2015."
    Those players previously contracted were: Willem Alberts (loose forward), Jean de Villiers (centre), Bismarck du Plessis (hooker), Jannie du Plessis (prop), Eben Etzebeth (lock), Siya Kolisi (loose forward), Tendai Mtawarira (prop), Frans Steyn (utility back), Adriaan Strauss (hooker) and Duane Vermeulen (number eight).

Wyn Jones staying with the Ospreys!

Couldn't leave. He's their BOD.

Great player with a great attitude.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Buer wrote: »
    Armitage plays 11, 13, 14 and 15. I'm sure he'll see plenty of starts with or without LH.

I'd love to see him at Loose Head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Been officially announced today that James O'Connor is leaving London Irish at the seasons end & is looking to get back playing Super 15 rugby again & get back in the Aussie squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Been officially announced today that James O'Connor is leaving London Irish at the seasons end & is looking to get back playing Super 15 rugby again & get back in the Aussie squad.

Let's hope that he has grown out of his 'Beiber' phase and perform like the talented player that he is.

The rugby world would be a poorer place without talented guys like him.

• Advertisement

Clermont paying Bath a transfer fee to sign the under contract Nick Abendanon for next season: http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9148539,00.html. Straight swap with Lee Byrne going to Dragons.

Biarritz's ship is sinking with so many of their players linked with moves away. I imagine in the ProD2 the club will struggle to honour the contracts of their top paid players like Barcella, Harinordoquy, Yachvili and Ngwenya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

A transfer fee for Nick Abendanon.

The world is gone mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Olly Barkley signed until end of may for Scarlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Anatidaephobia

Anyone know when Michele Campagnaro is contracted until? I'd say there'll be a bit of interest in him from the French and maybe Munster and Leinster too.

A transfer fee for Nick Abendanon.

The world is gone mad.

I don't follow the Premiership much but I read that Abendanon isn't even a solid first choice at Bath anymore.

Surely Clermont could have signed a name like Brice Dulin or even Alexis Palisson who is a free agent.
    Anyone know when Michele Campagnaro is contracted until? I'd say there'll be a bit of interest in him from the French and maybe Munster and Leinster too.

I'd say Campagnaro will stay at Treviso for the time being and establish himself. Benvenuti went to Perpignan and he's now out of contention with Italy (afaik he isn't injured).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

[QUOTE=thomond2006;88820448I'd say Campagnaro will stay at Treviso for the time being and establish himself. Benvenuti went to Perpignan and he's now out of contention with Italy (afaik he isn't injured).[/QUOTE]

Brunel is the former Bouclier-winning Perignan coach. I doubt he'd hold that against him.

• Advertisement

Bradley Davies is leaving Cardiff for Wasps. The Welsh regions really are f**ked, regardless of what competition they're playing in next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Bradley Davies is leaving Cardiff for Wasps. The Welsh regions really are f**ked, regardless of what competition they're playing in next season.

They won't have to pay for his legal representation a few times a season though.

Rugby League's Sam Burgess is set to switch codes, with Bath "allegedly" paying a transfer fee of £500,000!

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9152455,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

So much for salary caps.

.ak wrote: »
    So much for salary caps.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/premiership/structure/index.php

I'd say Burgess would be the "excluded player" that the rules mention?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What a kick in the stones for Bath, England and England Elite players if matey comes on board, some of the bursting their balls for, say, 4 years for this WC only for matey to swan in and be queue jumped via this "fast track".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

razorblunt wrote: »
    What a kick in the stones for Bath, England and England Elite players if matey comes on board, some of the bursting their balls for, say, 4 years for this WC only for matey to swan in and be queue jumped via this "fast track".

What's a matey?

Rugby is a professional sport, if he's actually better than those other players he should get in ahead of them. I don't see the issue. We had the exact same issue here with Brian Carney going to a RWC.

Burgess to Bath, by late October/early November - after the NRL season in Oz.

murray kinsella retweet

Not transfer news per se but Luke McAlister has signed on with Toulouse until 2016.

danthefan wrote: »
    What's a matey?

Rugby is a professional sport, if he's actually better than those other players he should get in ahead of them. I don't see the issue. We had the exact same issue here with Brian Carney going to a RWC.

Matey? Just referring to Burgess himself.

It's the fast tracking that I don't get.
    Carney proved his worth with Munster first didn't he before getting called up to the Irish squad.

Henry Paul was fast tracked too as was Andy Farrell neither of them were international quality in the Union sense.

If Burgess comes in and motors through the Bath games, Saxon games etc then all fine and well, if he becomes a poster boy then it's a joke. That being said it's England though, let them eat cake!

Carney proved his worth with Munster first didn't he before getting called up to the Irish squad.

Oh lord no.

It was a terrible call with zero justification behind.

Oh lord no.

Really? I must have tinted glasses on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭blackdog1

This is the same burgess that knocked seven bells outa Sbw and people think he won't adapt... the man is 6 foot five and nearly 120 kg with very good gas. Farell was slow. This guy will be a bigger version of Roberts if he stays injury free. Imagine him and Tuilagi in the centres??... Rugby is slowly eradicating the smaller players.

blackdog1 wrote: »
    This is the same burgess that knocked seven bells outa Sbw and people think he won't adapt... the man is 6 foot five and nearly 120 kg with very good gas. Farell was slow. This guy will be a bigger version of Roberts if he stays injury free. Imagine him and Tuilagi in the centres??... Rugby is slowly eradicating the smaller players.

Again it's not that I don't think he'll adapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

It shows what a pull the RWC is he's prepared to come back for that. What club he plays in probably isn't a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I feel rugby league players are more currently feeling more of a pull to union than the other way even though the money isn't as good. The exception perhaps is Australians. I'd say it has a lot to do with the game having more international appeal.

Probably a case of wanting to try something new also.

All eyes will be on Marshall this season tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not Playing Tiddlywinks Vinny

Burgess would be a human wrecking ball, He'll need to learn how to not shoulder charge and wrap both arms in a tackle, after that he has everything to be as good as SBW, power to break tackles and offload, pace to create mis-matches.

I only hope he signs for Bath, does really well and we all get a show down of SB versus SBW in a World Cup knock out fixture!!!

Interestingly for those following this, many people in Oz (apparently) would be happy to see the SB media circus head out of Sydney with Sam. Players becoming disgruntled in the Rabbitohs camp about his off field antics

Really? I must have tinted glasses on!!

Carney joined Munster in March, played a few games, was capped by Ireland that summer and was brought into the RWC squad. It was definitely a case of unjustly fast tracking a player especially as he wasn't even very good in union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Heard a rumour that liam williams is leaving Scarlets for the WWE

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Stanza2

aimee1 wrote: »

Don't think he'd make it there, the opponents get to see what you're doing and you won't get away with hitting them when they are not looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

aimee1 wrote: »

Would mma not be more his style?

Worcester have signed Ryan Lamb to help them stave off relegation.

He won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Worcester have signed Ryan Lamb to help them stave off relegation.

He won't.

Wow, this is his 5th Premiership club... I'm almost impressed.

• Advertisement

3 Castres players reported to be going to Racing, including Antonie Claassen and Brice Dulin. Dulin will compensate the loss of Wisniewski. It doesn't look like Racing will go on a super spending spree like last summer but they are two quality signings.

Seramaia Bai, now 35, is being linked with Leicester.

Wales centre Ashley Beck has signed a two-year contract extension with the Ospreys until the end of the 2015/16 season

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Wales centre Ashley Beck has signed a two-year contract extension with the Ospreys until the end of the 2015/16 season

Excellent player. Himself and Isaacs make a great pair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Oh lord no.

Yeah Carney was a bit of a disaster, but the worst part was somebody decent (I can't remember who - Bowe, or Fitzgerald or Kearney maybe?) got left behind due to his inclusion, it was quite controversial at the time.

Speaking of transfer fees, Munster paid a transfer fee (compensation) for Carney at the time. I don't think it was a significant amount though.

Bowe was left out for Carney. RK and Fitz had only just made their debuts in the previous 10 months and I don't think anyone would have expected them to be in the squad. Bowe had started 6N games the year before though and was relatively young. He certainly wasn't the player he became but could feel quite screwed over to be left at home for a bloke that played his first game of union for Munster in March of 2007.

Rumours Henson to Dragons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

as a ballboy?

Where is he now?

http://www.606v2.com/t50257p900-transfers-2014-2015-season
    All rumoured to tigers

De Marchi
    > Replacement for Stanko
    Campagnaro
    > Replacement For Bowden (Rumoured to be going, Bath looks more of an option if Henson goes)
    Seremaia Bai (apparently already signed)
    > Replacement for Lamb.

Leicester Tigers chief scout, very secretive in terms of showing his face. was on Radio Leicester Thurs, was saying a lot of Italian agents were contact him asking for him to have a look at there players and sign them, supporters De Marchi and Campagnaro.

Also Rumoured that Goneva may be re-signing on a 2 year deal. (no Source)

Sam Burgess is confirmed to be moving to Bath.

• Advertisement
Advertisement