Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Risteard wrote: »
    On another note it appears McCaw and Carter are to be offered 'sabbaticals' in a bid to allow them to play in the NH and for the ABs.

Link

Interesting article but jaysus they're fond of hyping up McCaw and Carter. I know they're both awesome players but the NZ Herald seems to be attempting to elevate them to god-like status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Stanley deal to Connacht is a long way from done. However I'd be extremely pissed off if Munster swept in under our noses and took him. Tis not often we get close to signing a player of that calibre and Munster have the pick of the southern hemisphere if they can stump up the cash.

Listening to Gerry Thornley during the week on Newstalk, he said he's not entireley sure who Munster are after but he said maybe an IQ centre or a prjoject type centre. Have heard Kyle Tonetti's name mentioned elsehwere but I don't think there's anything in it because he has a year left with Sale

It'd hardly be sweeping him from under your noses. Stanley is a good player and no offense but playing for Connacht could be a very bad move for his career. Imo this guy would have a shot at starting for a big club up here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

conf101 wrote: »
    I know they're both awesome players

Carter is. If McCaw was kept within the rules, most of us probably wouldn't know his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

tolosenc wrote: »
    Carter is. If McCaw was kept within the rules, most of us probably wouldn't know his name.

You could say that about any great openside tbh.

ah, but that is his genius.

If Uri Geller Snapped spoons in half nobody would know his name either, but since he bends them, he's famous!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

mccaw got his debut for the kiwis against us in 2001. how many rule changes have happened regarding the breakdown since and he is still top of his game?

he is a great player...not a good player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

George Smith to Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Anyone backrow who keeps within the rules doesn't deserve to be known. mcCaw is an all time great, we're lucky be around to see him playing. We'll spend our lives comparing 7's to him and most of them will suffer by the comparison, in the same way old guys now talk about Kyle when they mention outhalves or middleaged guys talk about Gibson when someone mentions centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Anyone backrow who keeps within the rules doesn't deserve to be known. mcCaw is an all time great, we're lucky be around to see him playing. We'll spend our lives comparing 7's to him and most of them will suffer by the comparison, in the same way old guys now talk about Kyle when they mention outhalves or middleaged guys talk about Gibson when someone mentions centres.

The point is complete nonsense anyway. McCaw has an unbelievable workrate, is incredibly strong, a good ball carrier, runs brilliant support lines and has excellent hands. None of that has anything to do with the breakdown, where he's an absolute master. One of the best players of the professional era without a doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6895001,00.html

Felipe Contepomi to Stade Francais in a straight swap with Mathieu Basteraud.

With Wilkinson still there and Giteau on his way, Felipe really had to go elsewhere. IMO it's a great deal for Stade, although Contepomi is getting on Basteraud looks like a lost cause and I doubt he'll improve at Toulon tbh.

Paul Sackey's contract at Toulon will also not be renewed and he'll also leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Touch of the Newcastle uniteds about Toulon at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

With Wilkinson still there and Giteau on his way, Felipe really had to go elsewhere.

And poor auld Warrick will have another class OH to compete with - perhaps another U-turn after this news?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

Warwick's versatile and will have ample opportunity to establish himself while Felipe is at the RWC. The two of them are awesome in attack, could be a nice Stade backline next year! I've a feeling Toulon could break Bastaraud for good, seems like he needs a tight and disciplined environment. Too many established golden boys at Touon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6895001,00.html

Felipe Contepomi to Stade Francais in a straight swap with Mathieu Basteraud.

With Wilkinson still there and Giteau on his way, Felipe really had to go elsewhere. IMO it's a great deal for Stade, although Contepomi is getting on Basteraud looks like a lost cause and I doubt he'll improve at Toulon tbh.

Paul Sackey's contract at Toulon will also not be renewed and he'll also leave.

I thought Contepomi had another year at Toulon? Didn't he say as much on newstalk in the lead-up to the Toulon game in TP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Reuben Thorne has been called into the Crusaders squad. Real blast from the past with him, Brown and Umaga all playing in NZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭whysomoody

Warwick 15 and Felipe 10 would be a great axis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

From the beeb
    Page last updated at 12:48 GMT, Tuesday, 26 April 2011 13:48 UK
    Wasps confirm Leon Holden to leave at end of season

Wasps' interim director of rugby Leon Holden, veteran flanker Serge Betsen and centre Ben Jacobs are all to leave the club at the end of the season.
    New Zealander Holden, a former Wasps coach who returned to the post temporarily in February, will become head coach at Japanese side Black Rams.
    Jacobs, 28, is also moving to Japan after signing for Kyuden Voltex.
    Betsen, 37, who has scored seven tries in 79 appearances for Wasps, is yet to sign for another club.
    Chief executive Chris Thomas said: "It's always sad to say goodbye to quality players like Serge and Ben.
    "But with some young exciting backs and back-row players coming through, we are well served in these areas.
    He added: "Leon has done a very good job in a very short time frame and has played a key role in recruitment for next season which is ongoing.
    "We are continuing the process of putting in place a director of rugby for next season.
    "This is a key appointment for us so we are not going to rush it but we are confident we will have a quality candidate in place for the start of next season."
    Holden spent four years coaching at Wasps between 2005 and 2009 before being invited back in February after Tony Hanks left his role as director of rugby.
    The London side have won just two matches from seven since his return and sit eighth in the Premiership.
    He said: "The opportunity to go to Japan, where I have coached before, for a season was too good to turn down.
    "It will allow me to be that bit nearer home and with a young family, it will be a change of lifestyle that I believe we will enjoy."
    Australian Jacobs has spent the last two seasons at Wasps, and said: "Having been in London for a number of years now, I am ready for a different challenge."
    Former France international flanker Betsen moved to Wasps in 2008 after 17 years with his home club Biarritz but is yet to decide his next move as his playing career nears its end.
    He added: "It was a big challenge for me and my family to move to England but I have really enjoyed my time at Wasps and I will be sad to leave. However I am excited about the next challenges the sport will bring me."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

Eoin Cahill from Bruff to Shannon as their backs coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Freddie is looking for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

SomeFool wrote: »
    Freddie is looking for work.

I thought (hoped) it was Freddie Pucciarello before I clicked the link :(

• Advertisement

Stormers' Francois Louw to replace Luke Watson at Bath. Various sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

On Sky during the Waratahs - Rebels game they announced Beale will be playing in Melbourne next season, was this posted already?

razorblunt wrote: »
    On Sky during the Waratahs - Rebels game they announced Beale will be playing in Melbourne next season, was this posted already?

Not sure, that was confirmed a while back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Not sure, that was confirmed a while back.

Must have totally missed it then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-1382309/Danny-Cipriani-lined-replace-Jonny-Wilkinson-Toulon.html

Danny Cipriani lined up by Toulon to act as cover for Wilkinson and Giteau during the World Cup, inbetween Super Rugby.

Why don't we all just play for Toulon?

Well in fairness Toulon will be very short at 10 and Cipriani would otherwise be sitting on his ass for 6 months. Makes sense for all parties, including Melbourne.

Steve Thompson set to sign for Wasps:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-1382328/Wasps-win-race-sign-England-hooker-Steve-Thompson.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

here is a good listing of movements for next season

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21565-Transfers-2010-11

There are errors in the possible starting XVs that he came up with but thats not the important part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

here is a good listing of movements for next season

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21565-Transfers-2010-11

There are errors in the possible starting XVs that he came up with but thats not the important part

I would have thought O'Gara, TOL and du Preez's moves to Leinster would have made more headlines :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I would have thought O'Gara, TOL and du Preez's moves to Leinster would have made more headlines :pac:
    told you there were mistakes in the probable starting fifteen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

O'Leary in a Leinster jersey? I've had that nightmare before. That and getting on a bus naked are my two worst nightmares. I wake up screaming.

Last night I genuinely had a dream of a team of Gary Breens.

Unfortunately it was the Rugby team, and we got minced by Georgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Ah but at least the Irish fans would have the better chants. Let's see the Georgians make 'We all dream of a team of Davit Kubriashvilis' work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

eddie o sullivan is out of the running for the edinburgh job

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/osullivan-out-of-running-for-edinburgh-job-2634880.html

as he is away at the world cup he wouldn't be able to join up until the start of october. by then there will have been 4 games played in the celtic league.

i cant help thinking they should wait for him. he would be very good for them and certainly is far ahead of the other potentials for the job.

God they really don't want to improve do they? Crazy to think they're not willing to wait for EOS. Leicester did it for Loffreda IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭conf101

Steve Thompson moving from Leeds to Wasps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Michael Bradley is apparently going to be Edinburgh's new coach.

http://sport.scotsman.com/rugby/SRU-poised-to-name-Michael.6761558.jp

Lord have mercy :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If they SRU are appointing Bradley over EOS cause he can take the job a couple months earlier then they are idiots of the highest order and deserve everything they get.

Apparently they are hiring Bradley mainly due to his experience of working with less than two brass farthings in Connacht.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

pithater1 wrote: »
    Apparently they are hiring Bradley mainly due to his experience of working with less than two brass farthings in Connacht.

I suggest they take a cursory look at the difference between Connacht for the previous 5 seasons and this season so.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I suggest they take a cursory look at the difference between Connacht for the previous 5 seasons and this season so.

Well we all know that the SRU haven't exactly been known for their brains the last few years. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Bradley currently works with former Scotland (and Glasgow?) coach, Richie Dixon for the Georgian National Team so no doubt the SRU have a much stronger insight into the guy than just what his cv and interview brought out.

I hope it goes really well for both Bradley and Edinburgh, if he gets it. Bradley made some big mistakes with Connacht but it was a learning curve for him and imo, the league needs a strong Edinburgh side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I thought Bradley recently took a job with Georgia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

The Georgian job was a stop gap it would seem. I would imagine that EOS had higher salary demands than Bradley and has been out of the club game for quite some time which would be other factors to remember. He is one of the better coaches that will be available after the RWC though so he should secure something, even if that is only an extension with the eagles. Bradley is a better coach than people give him credit for, as for Connacht playing better this season, most new coaches have a one season jump in performance due to fresh ideas and fresh attitude. Look at McGahan, in his first season Munster improved a lot but since have regressed. In the international sphere it drove Kidney and several Welsh coaches to grandslam victory despite not improving their teams much from then on. If Elwood's influence continues to reap benefits and genuine improvements over the next 2 years then the proof is in the pudding but there hasn't been that great a difference yet.

PS: I hope Smidth's amazing ruby continues long term, great to watch at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RAKM

Troy Nathan to Glasgow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/13280443.stm

powell soon to be looking for a new club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

bamboozle wrote: »

And who would have him?
    I don't really rate the guy.

Always had a rep of being a bruiser on the pitch, always ready off the back of a lineout for some crash ball.
    I never thought he quite had the physicality and nowhere near the smarts to be a top back row forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

And who would have him?
    I don't really rate the guy.

Always had a rep of being a bruiser on the pitch, always ready off the back of a lineout for some crash ball.
    I never thought he quite had the physicality and nowhere near the smarts to be a top back row forward.

How he got on a Lions tour is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

And who would have him?

Toulon? :pac:

How he got on a Lions tour is beyond me.

He was the player of the 2008 Autumn Internationals for Wales. Boshed through everyone in his way.

Got badly found out after that of course. He shouldn't have toured and was one of the worst performers on that tour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement