Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transfers for next season (including transfer rumours!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Cronin isn't contracted in Ulster he is in a weird type of limbo where he mainly plays AIL but got a number of call ups this season with respect to injuries to Botha, Fitzpatrick and Macklin

I'm expecting him to be offered a contract for next season

Even more impressive if he's going toe to toe with the Leinster scrum as an amateur. Maybe Botha will bring him with him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Had a nervy start but picked himself up to set up a great try and nailed 6 kicks at goal. Just the kind of resilience and composure that Munster are looking for.

in fairness to donald he is in the awful position of dan carter's shadow.

any time he plays for the all blacks the fans are thinking "who does this guy think he is, he's no dan carter" if he makes a mistake its "dan carter wouldn't have done that". thats alot of pressure on the guy.

if donald can/could play 12 then he could be a very good sigining for munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Was reading in The Scotsman the other day that Chris Cusiter has gone playing club rugby in Australia to try and get some game time before the WC, the Waratahs are keeping an eye on him too by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

razorblunt wrote: »
    Was reading in The Scotsman the other day that Chris Cusiter has gone playing club rugby in Australia to try and get some game time before the WC, the Waratahs are keeping an eye on him too by all accounts.

It's strictly temporary - he might only play 2 or 3 games down there before the RWC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

ALH-06 wrote: »
    It's strictly temporary - he might only play 2 or 3 games down there before the RWC.

Figured it was a loan type deal alright cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Dan Carter is staying put until 2015.

He must have been offered huge money to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

The money was meant to be big but nowhere near what he'd earn in France. Though the contract has a sabbatical so he can presumably play up here like he did for Perpignan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Toulouse keep Caucaunibuca

18th May 2011 15:57

Staying: Rupeni Caucaunibuca

Toulouse have announced that Fijian winger Rupeni Caucaunibuca will remain at the Top 14 club next term.

'Caucau' arrived in 2010/11 as a temporary replacement for the injured Yann David and will now stay at the club, according to Guy Noves.

The 32-year-old, who will not play at this year's World Cup in New Zealand, has had a chequered history of off-pitch problems including prolonged absences and various suspensions including one for testing positive for cannabis.

But on the pitch - dips in form, injuries or being overweight notwithstanding, Caucau can be a devastating player both in attack and defence
    http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_6938976,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

The money was meant to be big but nowhere near what he'd earn in France. Though the contract has a sabbatical so he can presumably play up here like he did for Perpignan.

I meant by Super XV and All Black standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

NZRU close to McCaw's signature

19th May 2011 11:41

All Blacks captain Richie McCaw said he was "pretty close" to signing a fresh New Zealand deal, and follow in the foot steps of Dan Carter.

In a major boost for New Zealand rugby, the talismanic skipper gave the strongest indication yet that he would stay in the country after this year's World Cup, just a day after Carter announced a new four-year deal.

"The reason I want to stay, and look to stay, is if I'm enjoying it. I've never made any bones about that," McCaw told the New Zealand Herald.

"I haven't played much this year and I'm keen to get out on the field and play. That's a good sign."

McCaw, 30, said he hoped to finalise a deal within the next week. Carter's contract, which beat off higher offers from European clubs, includes an option for a playing stint abroad in the vein of his 2008-2009 spell at Perpignan.

"I haven't signed yet because I haven't said anything yet but hopefully in the next week or so (we will) get things sorted. Still working through a couple of things but, (we're) getting pretty close which is good," McCaw said.

McCaw, a 93-Test veteran and two-time IRB player of the year, could also demand a huge pay packet from cashed-up overseas clubs and keeping him would be a major boost for the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU).

Financial terms of Carter's New Zealand contract were not revealed but the NZRU - which does not consider foreign-based players for national duty - said it could not match the amounts offered by overseas clubs.

Warren Alcock, from Carter's management company, Essentially Group, said it had been the most comprehensive individual contract he had been involved in negotiating.

"It has a level of detail and complexity that we haven't faced in New Zealand before," he said
    source: planetrugby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I hope McCaw stays in NZ.

I'd prefer their best players to play over there. I fully support them not picking foreign based players for the all blacks. I'd hate to think that some day it would be possible to name a stronger New Zealand team from the players who play abroad than those who play for the All Blacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

I hope if he does stay with NZ, the news is put in in here. If you know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd rather not see him running amok for Toulon next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Stev_o wrote: »

Thats some expensive bait to try and lure Sonny Bill with ;)

I presume they ll be playing him at 6. There was a hilarious proposal that he'd play at 12.

Wouldn't like to be tackling him one on one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

Stev_o wrote: »
    I presume they ll be playing him at 6. There was a hilarious proposal that he'd play at 12.

Wouldn't like to be tackling him one on one though.

or get tackled by him one on one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Toulon could enter a 2nd XV into the Magners next year and make the playoffs with the rate they're going. Huge squad.

Toulon could enter a 2nd XV into the Magners next year and make the playoffs with the rate they're going. Huge squad.

its fairly bizarre that they're still expanding it tbh. Why would you join at this stage?
    To be a fringe player and get no gametime?
    To be a star player in a team full of stars? :pac:
    To be a player constantly rotated so that if you lose form it's next to impossible to get back into it?

I really think they're making a big mistake, as are those joining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

its fairly bizarre that they're still expanding it tbh. Why would you join at this stage?
    To be a fringe player and get no gametime?
    To be a star player in a team full of stars? :pac:
    To be a player constantly rotated so that if you lose form it's next to impossible to get back into it?

I really think they're making a big mistake, as are those joining!

Money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

BoarHunter wrote: »

Haven't they already signed Tialata, Kelleher and Luaki. Making a big statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Haven't they already signed Tialata, Kelleher and Luaki. Making a big statement.

Yes and Cedric Heymans. Will be tough side to beat next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

And Chisholm the Aussie lock

They were a good side this year. I think losing home and away to Connacht with full strength sides may have prompted them to splash the cash !

And Chisholm the Aussie lock

They were a good side this year. I think losing home and away to Connacht with full strength sides may have prompted them to splash the cash !

Yeah that away win was Connachts best performance of the season

The money in France has reached ridiculous levels at this stage, salary cap my hole.

• Advertisement

The money in France has reached ridiculous levels at this stage, salary cap my hole.

The national team will suffer. They've always been heavily dependent on Toulouse and even they are going out and buying lots of foreigners now.You get what you deserve. When you see the type of ridiculous spending and sugar daddies you have to appreciate the system we have got in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

How much is the salary cap?

edit: I'd be pissed off if I was French. These players aren't even that good. The best Bayonne can hope for out of them is to sneak into the playoffs for a couple of years before they all retire.

How much is the salary cap?

edit: I'd be pissed off if I was French. These players aren't even that good. The best Bayonne can hope for out of them is to sneak into the playoffs for a couple of years before they all retire.

8 million give or take

Toulon are spending more than double that I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

8 million give or take

Toulon are spending more than double that I'd say

The cap is €8m which is about 55% higher than the AP cap. Take 4 or 5 galacticos out of Toulon and you don't have much left in terms of big salaries. Hayman, Wilkinson, Smith, Contepomi are on big money. I would think the likes of Lobbe and Wulf are on good money but not massive money. Their other foreign players are mostly journeymen.

Toulouse's operating budget is over €29m compared to Toulon's €19m. Looking at their squad, I'd have much more difficulty believing they're keeping to the €8m cap. I would think their players are receiving some serious perks outside of the salary budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

anyone have a full list of transfers so far ??

• Advertisement

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    anyone have a full list of transfers so far ??

That would be one big a** list. In terms of the Irish clubs.

Leinster
    IN: Sean Cronin(Connacht) Damian Browne(Brive) Jamie Hagan(Connacht) Steven Sykes(Natal Sharks) Matt Berquist(Crusaders) Fionn Carr(Connacht)

OUT: Paul O'Donohue(Connacht) Stewart Maguire(Connacht) Stan Wright(Stade Francais) Nathan Hines(Clermont) Stephen Keogh(club coaching role) Niall Morris(Leicester) Michael Keating(Doncaster)

Munster
    IN:BJ Botha(Munster) Ian Keatley(Connacht)

OUT: Paul Warwick(Stade Francais) Tony Buckley(Sale Sharks) Sam Tuitupou(?) Ian Dowling,Barry Murphy,Alan Quinlan(Retired)

Connacht
    IN:Ethienne Reynecke(Saracens) Paul O'Donohue(Leinster) Stewart Maguire(Leinster) Eoghan Grace(Exeter Chiefs) George Naoupu(?) Dave Morris(Harlequins) Niall O'Connor(Ulster) Dave McSharry(-) Fetu'u Vainikolo(Highlanders) TJ Anderson(Ulster) Mark McCrea (Ulster) Jamie Stevens(Galwegians) Mathew Jarvis(Ospreys) James Loxton(Cardiff)

OUT: Sean Cronin(Leinster) Jamie Hagan(Leinster) Mike McComish(Ulster) Ian Keatley(Munster) Cillian Willis(Retired) Bernie Upton(Japan) Rob Sweeney(udecided) Troy Nathan(Glasgow) Callum Black(Worcester)

Ulster
    IN: Jared Payne(Auckland Blues) John Afoa (Auckland Blues) Lewis Stevenson(Harlequins)

Out:Tommy Seymour(Glasgow) Jamie Smith(Newport) BJ Botha(Munster) Ryan Caldwell(Bath)

There's more rumoured to be leaving Connacht, but the above transfers are confirmed. If I missed a few names please tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Munster really quiet, looks like the academy will get a run

Mark McCrea (Ulster), Jamie Stevens (Galwegians), Matthew Jarvis (Ospreys), James Loxton (Cardiff) and Eoin McKeown (Academy) also signed for Connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

http://www.therugbyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?21565-Transfers-2010-11

I posted this link earlier and a few other people have posted it as well but its a pretty full list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Mike Ross to Munster rumour raised and squashed again?

Well he's signed a contract to keep him at Leinster a few months ago, it'd be fairly bizarre to win a HEC after signing that, and then get going...

Don't know if this is new news or old news, but I never heard it till today.

Bruce Reihana is leaving Saints.
    http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/14512.php

With Ansbro leaving, and Ashton and Foden playing in the WC, one suspects a certain Russian will show his worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

jolley123 wrote: »
    Don't know if this is new news or old news, but I never heard it till today.

Bruce Reihana is leaving Saints.
    http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/14512.php

With Ansbro leaving, and Ashton and Foden playing in the WC, one suspects a certain Russian will show his worth.

If you're talking about Armetiev then its highly likely that he too will be playing at the RWC. Could have a good showing there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭rockman15

GerM wrote: »
    The cap is €8m which is about 55% higher than the AP cap. Take 4 or 5 galacticos out of Toulon and you don't have much left in terms of big salaries. Hayman, Wilkinson, Smith, Contepomi are on big money. I would think the likes of Lobbe and Wulf are on good money but not massive money. Their other foreign players are mostly journeymen.

Toulouse's operating budget is over €29m compared to Toulon's €19m. Looking at their squad, I'd have much more difficulty believing they're keeping to the €8m cap. I would think their players are receiving some serious perks outside of the salary budget.

Salary does not equal compensation

From a tax point of view what you get as a basic salary could be entirely different to what end up in your bank account on the last friday of the month!

For example: Mr. Smith receives 40k from toulon for the year, but has performance related (ie conditional payments) bonuses of 5k for a try, 5k per appearance, 1k for man of the match.

Im only using those figures as examples. Id say they are a lot more advanced etc but you get my point.

NB: Mr. Smith = totally made up and im not referring to any player specifically before someone has a go :D

Jemo wrote: »
    If you're talking about Armetiev then its highly likely that he too will be playing at the RWC. Could have a good showing there though.

Oh yeah.:o I made the same mistake when his signing was announced. Still, with Bruce as well as Ansbro gone, he should get a good amount of minutes.

• Advertisement

When a player signs a contract to the Union they are affiliated they are unknowingly to them signing a contract for Toloun.

Toloun could start up their own league at this stage ffs.

Jemo wrote: »

They signed Noah Cato from Sarries as well so there'll be plenty of competition for the left wing spot

im beginning to wonder is toulon some kind of cult? like those scientologist lads. They go around preeching redemption or something for previous offences comitted in the game.

Alternatively their "if it moves and likes rugby, buy it!" approach to squad management may be due to the fact they will loose lots of players over the WC?

Perhaps they could re-name the club The French Foreign Legion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

rockman15 wrote: »
    Salary does not equal compensation

From a tax point of view what you get as a basic salary could be entirely different to what end up in your bank account on the last friday of the month!

For example: Mr. Smith receives 40k from toulon for the year, but has performance related (ie conditional payments) bonuses of 5k for a try, 5k per appearance, 1k for man of the match.

Im only using those figures as examples. Id say they are a lot more advanced etc but you get my point.

NB: Mr. Smith = totally made up and im not referring to any player specifically before someone has a go :D

That's pretty much what I meant when I said players are receiving perks outside the salary budget. Some players are set up with a free house. One well known trick in the past was for the club to hire the player's other half for a average job and pay them stupid money i.e. £30k a year for working 20 hours a week in the club bar. All sorts of little tricks to get around the salary cap especially for a massive club like Toulouse that has an entire complex including a museum, an exhibition centre and even a Michelin star restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

GerM wrote: »
    That's pretty much what I meant when I said players are receiving perks outside the salary budget. Some players are set up with a free house. One well known trick in the past was for the club to hire the player's other half for a average job and pay them stupid money i.e. £30k a year for working 20 hours a week in the club bar. All sorts of little tricks to get around the salary cap especially for a massive club like Toulouse that has an entire complex including a museum, an exhibition centre and even a Michelin star restaurant.
    I agree completly you could do anything like that to get around the cap. Give a woman 20,000 a week to be her husband's image consultant and tell him what clothes to wear

Its easy to get around the cap

I agree completly you could do anything like that to get around the cap. Give a woman 20,000 a week to be her husband's image consultant and tell him what clothes to wear

Its easy to get around the cap

there will be a scandal about this sort of thing yet. Someone will slip eventually and be done for some kind of spurious tax credit or expense and bring their whole system of compensation down.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And yet Toulon won't even be in the HEC next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Leicester do it too. The salary cap is an obstacle that can be overcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

profitius wrote: »
    Leicester do it too. The salary cap is an obstacle that can be overcome.

NFL clubs has been working it for years but it still manages to keep a fair bit of control over it's clubs. Perhaps the AP and Top 14 need to look at what their doing

Advertisement