Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which router/modem to replace Eircom Zyxel

• 25-03-2011 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

The question says it all really. I use Eircom and currently have the old Netopia model. I was sent the Zyxel one as replacement but it was really rubbish so went back to the Netopia.
    Which modem/router would you recommand?
    I use an ethernet cable to the router as I do mostly gaming.
    I also need a fairly good wireless connection for a laptop 6m away (with brickwall in between).
    I am using win7 64bits.

Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's wrong with the Netopia?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djiffou

It is getting old! :D
    Connection is dropping every now and then (very annoying!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smtdos

djiffou wrote: »

I've used the netopia and zyxel routers from eircom and would definately use the netopia if your using it as a wireless access point.

Currently I have the zyxel in bridge mode connected to a Netgear WNDR-3700

I had connection dropping issues until I got upgraded to NGB. No issues since. Doubt its the router causing the dropped connections. If there's too many people logged onto your exchange, you can get bumped off!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

djiffou wrote: »

Have you established whether its the internet connection that is dropping or the wireless?

If its the internet connection then check your line stats.

If its the wireless check to see if there are neighbours using the same channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i'm in the same boat. using the old Zyxel 660HW-61 and am experiencing dropouts with it. I changed the wifi channel to a free channel which improved things a bit but still seeing dropouts. Extremely annoying when playing online.
    Vodafone did a line check and said "its yer modem". not sure if i beleive them fully, though it might be a good idea to get a new one seeing as it doesnt support WPA\WPA2....

where do ye check the line stats in the admin gui?
    am still in 1st month of new contract with VF so was thinking of seeing if i can get their modem instead of the €20 off for 2 months but i havent heard many good things about that modem either...

• Advertisement
Advertisement