Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daffodils on Charlesland Spine Rd

Options
  • 25-03-2011 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Can anyone explain to me why the Daffodils on the Charlesland Spine Road never bloom? - or at least not in the last few years.
    They always look like the tops have been cut off them. It would look really beautiful if they did and it can't be due to the type of soil as there are daffodils blooming in other parts of Charlesland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭GingerDave

Car2318 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why the Daffodils on the Charlesland Spine Road never bloom? - or at least not in the last few years.
    They always look like the tops have been cut off them. It would look really beautiful if they did and it can't be due to the type of soil as there are daffodils blooming in other parts of Charlesland.

Friday trivia question?
    As daffodils are bulbs I believe if you want them to flower again each year you should let them die off naturally
    (The "energy/food" in the bulb gets restored by this process)
    If you chop them with a mower you remove the good bit of energry/food they need to bloom each year.

Thats what me mother told me anyway......

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

I think you might be on the button there! We (Husband and I) thought it had to do with the mowers alright - but you would think professional landscapers would know better
    Would be a lovely sight if the bloomed and hid the random dog drops too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 threetrouts

Problems is if you wait for them to die off naturally you would have an unsightly foot of grass all the way round spine it was bad planning day one to put them in that way.Maybe the Corc could look at lifting td putting them in circular beds in the centre easier to maintain that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Where I work they have masses of green open areas which are cut regularly. Noticed today that their daffs are coming into full bloom so am going to watch when they cut the grass on this area i.e. before flower dies off or afterwards. I know they have to cut it regularly but maybe they leave it a few inches.

Yep I have little to be thinking about on a Friday avo

Thanks guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Well as far as I can remember, the brains-trust that were the landscapers at the time decided in their wisdom ...I think almost thre years ago, to take the mower to the rows of daffodils that had sprung up all along the side of the spine road...so that's them buggered for the foreseeable future -the daffodils - not the landscapers!! (unfortunately):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

Well as far as I can remember, the brains-trust that were the landscapers at the time decided in their wisdom ...I think almost thre years ago, to take the mower to the rows of daffodils that had sprung up all along the side of the spine road...so that's them buggered for the foreseeable future -the daffodils - not the landscapers!! (unfortunately):rolleyes:

Yes, that was what I heard and no action from Wyse to redress by insisting they replant or compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Honestly! wrote: »
    Yes, that was what I heard and no action from Wyse to redress by insisting they replant or compensate.
    Has anyone asked them??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Was talking to the mother this morning, (of course, mothers days and all that...)

she reckons they need to be fed with some form or potassium feed and they might flower next year. She also thinks the bulbs may need to be split as well.

so anyone fancy splitting a couple of thousand daffodil bulbs???

Advertisement