Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clearing Customs Immigration at Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LauraK80

Hi everyone,
    I actually need some help. I am hoping to visit some friends in Milwaukee in late June. I haven't been to the US in over 2 years as shortly after my last visit I was lost my job. My family have said they will loan me the money so I can have a break but my one fear is the fact that I am unemployed I know they are funny about it in customs.

So i just wondered if anyone else who is unemployed travelled to the US recently & left via Dublin?? If so did you have any issues? I dont want to borrow all that money, buy a ticket & not get to go on my holiday. So please any advise would be welcomed as I REALLY need this 2 weeks away!!! Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 41 23Skidoo

23Skidoo wrote: »
    I'm a bit paranoid about this now...I take it you mean the first two digits of your passport number. I have our etsa's done but used P0 (zero) as the first two digits. It definitely looks like a zero on the passports. Hoping we don't have any kind of problem like that when we get there, been planning this holiday for ages.

Does anyone know if you can bring pre-packed foods like peanuts and that through customs and onto the plane? My OH would like to bring some packaged nuts or protein bars, etc with him to snack on. Hope he can because he will be really annoyed if he can't!

Can anyone help with this? We're leaving next week and I don't want anything to go wrong when we get to the airport. If I call the passport office on tuesday would they be able to confirm the passport number over the phone. I'd nearly complete another 2 esta's with 'PO' for the sake of €20 if it means no hassle at immigration

LauraK80 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I actually need some help. I am hoping to visit some friends in Milwaukee in late June. I haven't been to the US in over 2 years as shortly after my last visit I was lost my job. My family have said they will loan me the money so I can have a break but my one fear is the fact that I am unemployed I know they are funny about it in customs.

So i just wondered if anyone else who is unemployed travelled to the US recently & left via Dublin?? If so did you have any issues? I dont want to borrow all that money, buy a ticket & not get to go on my holiday. So please any advise would be welcomed as I REALLY need this 2 weeks away!!! Thanks..

Can anyone advise me on the above please?????

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Can anyone advise me on the above please?????

Do you honestly think the US won't let you in because you're unemployed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

As long as you have a return flight and aren't on any terrorist list, they'll let you in no problem.

• Advertisement

As long as you have a return flight and aren't on any terrorist list, they'll let you in no problem.

Thank you Jack, I appreciate that. I have travelled to the US many times before while in employment & had never had any issues, I know of 3 people who are also unemployed & were refused entry recently because the immigration officers didnt think they would return home, I panicked when I heard about this & that is why I asked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭DazzlerIE

Thank you Jack, I appreciate that. I have travelled to the US many times before while in employment & had never had any issues, I know of 3 people who are also unemployed & were refused entry recently because the immigration officers didnt think they would return home, I panicked when I heard about this & that is why I asked here.

Honestly not on a wind up, but I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not at all. If you don't have what they deem as "significant ties" (and that includes a job), they can refuse you entry. To all intents and purposes, US Immigration can refuse you for any reason they wish. Someone entering without a job to return to will always raise questions for them.

DazzlerIE wrote: »
    Honestly not on a wind up, but I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe

Just because you find it EXREMELY hard to believe DazzlerIE doesn't mean it isn't true. It was a genuine question I had which was spurred by genuine concerns. It has happened to friends of mine who were travelling to New York & that is why I asked about others who are unemployed & their experiences. I actually wanted to gauge the situation before I made a decision about travelling.

I appreciate the advise given by both Jack & Buffy....thank you both!

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Not at all. If you don't have what they deem as "significant ties" (and that includes a job), they can refuse you entry. To all intents and purposes, US Immigration can refuse you for any reason they wish. Someone entering without a job to return to will always raise questions for them.

*groan* thats what I thought..thank you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

*groan* thats what I thought..thank you!!!

The only advice I can give is to be prepared to answer questions about your current status and to answer truthfully.

When asked what you work as, state that you are currently unemployed but are job hunting in the area you are qualified.

If probed further you could demonstrate all you are doing about looking for work in Ireland. i.e. Say you have been to X interviews and that you believed they went well and are hoping you will hear favourably from one of the companies.

They will ask you your reasons for travelling to the States.

When you say holiday they will probe further. They may ask what your plans are. They may also ask who you are visiting.

When you say you are visiting relatives it will cause alarm bells.

They may think you are going to be assisted by relatives to stay in the States and look for work.

They may ask what your relatives work as. If your relatives are self employed and own a business like a restaurant it will cause further alarm bells to ring in the officers head.

Be prepared to defend your position that you are going on holiday and you have every intention of returning to Ireland and you do not intend to stay in USA.

Be prepared to list your ties to Ireland - ie. Have a steady boyfriend in Ireland, are planning to do a college course in Sept (if this is true!), list comittees you are involved in (if you are involved in any!), that you care for a family member (if you do!), show your lease/rental agreement with landlord, etc.

Hope all of this helps!

Thank you Diddler1977...that has helped. In my case I do HAVE to come home..this is genuinely a 2 week break. I appreciate the help! I am still undecided about travelling but atleast I know what to possibly expect should I go ahead with my visit. Cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 clonna

Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me whether you can bring food to america with you. My dad is travelling to family in the next few months and they asked would he take soda bread with him. I havent been in terminal two so dont know what shops are available after customs. I thought there would probably be shops where he could buy soda bread in the airport after security but whether that exists after customs is another story-will customs let him through with the soda bread?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

clonna wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me whether you can bring food to america with you....
    another story-will customs let him through with the soda bread?
    Thanks

The general rule is that you are not allowed to bring in any raw or uncooked food.

I believe you are fine with soda bread, however, I don't think I have seen it in the shop past US Immigration.

Which airport are you flying out of?

I have brought suit cases filled with scones and bread back from Eire.

Give the US Customs and Immigration a call or email and they will tell you.

I have seen a lot of food taken off of people at the US Immigration: apples, oranges, ham and cheese sandwhiches - all taken because there is uncooked parts of them.

Smoke salmon has been cooked so you'll be able to bring it with you. Although, it is best to buy it at the airport. I wouldn't bring any with me.

Rashers and sausages - forget it, they will be taken.

I believe cheese is okay. Just put it in checked luggage. I doubt the would be happy with its consistency for carry on. But check if you are bringing cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

How did you get on in the end? Just to add, My friend traveled to the States with us last year and he was also unemployed at the time, there was no issue for him at all, just incase others are worried over your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭blackbeard

HI

I was wondering do u still have to go through immigration in Dublin and does it take long to go throught. I have a flight at 9:20 was don't know how much time to expect to go through immigration.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Yes immigration checks are still done in Dublin, most of the aer-lingus flights pre clear. It's recommended that you arrive at the airport 3 hours before your departure to the states, just incase there is long ques at immigration... Last time I went there was no ques, took 5 mins max.. be prepared there is a very long walk to immigration after you go through security.

blackbeard wrote: »
    HI

I was wondering do u still have to go through immigration in Dublin and does it take long to go throught. I have a flight at 9:20 was don't know how much time to expect to go through immigration.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Two problems with the above.

1. If you are caught bringing in banned meat products, the consequences can be more than "a slap on the wrist". My sister had a half eaten ham sambo in her back pack that one of her kids forgot to discard before they got off the plane. She was hit with a fine of several hundred dollars. The nice lady at Customs didn't want to hear any stories about what her mammy may have done that morning. As it was obviously a mistake on my sisters part (I mean who intentionally brings in left over stale sambos in the US?) she was let off with a stern warning and the fine. If she was deliberately smuggling in something more serious, she reckons she could have been prosecuted too.

It may seem like over kill, but the US beef industry is a multi billion dollar industry. They take any threats to it very, very seriously. As a traveler, you and no one else are responsible for what you bring into the country. The "my mammy gave it to me" excuse is not going to get you very far since the foot and mouth scares.

2. The sniffer dogs are in the area where you reclaim you bags. They will sniff your bags as you reclaim them, regardless of where you have cleared Customs and Immigration. If you have any banned items in either your checked in bags or your hand luggage, the doggies WILL sniff them out. That is out my sister got caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,023 ✭✭✭✭cena

Say your going for 3 months well you be asked to show you have enough money to keep you going for the three months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

*** One post removed for suggesting illegal actions. Boards.ie does not advice, condone, suggest or assist in any illegal actions, including lying to foreign law enforcement in violation of local laws. Do not post on this matter again. ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Keep your answers short and sweet, don't try to be funny and you'll be okay. :) I only had one problem and I have been back and forth multiple times. I used to travel a lot back and forth and it was fine for them to question me. I was honest and I wasn't given any hassle. Yes, some of the officers are the rudest and most ignorant people that you will ever meet, just try and let it roll off you. Thats over 10 years ago before I became a permanent resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Keep your answers short and sweet, don't try to be funny and you'll be okay. :) I only had one problem and I have been back and forth multiple times. I used to travel a lot back and forth and it was fine for them to question me. I was honest and I wasn't given any hassle. Yes, some of the officers are the rudest and most ignorant people that you will ever meet, just try and let it roll off you. Thats over 10 years ago before I became a permanent resident.

I have never had any issues with getting into the country

The one tip I always give to people nervous about the border guys- only answer the questions you're asked - be truthful, direct and no waffle. They can smell BS a mile away.

Last time I came through Dublin, I went to the desk, he took my passport, checked my visa and asked me how I liked living in the US so far (l1 visa). He stamped me on my way in under 2 minutes (after prints etc).

The guy at the booth next to me, saunters up, leans on the table and says "howrya". All I heard from the exchange was "get your arms off the table, sir".....not the way to start. I was through before I saw if he got a grilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Iusedtoknow has it down......

Just treat them like the scarey teacher from your primary school.....

Don't speak until spoken to....

Concisely answer the questions that they ask you, not babbling on about your entire vacation plays....

It's ok for the conversation to become briefly friendly and less serious....IF the immigration officer is the one to make it so

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

HI

Thanks

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/US-Preclearance.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

HI

Thanks

we flew to Orlando on the 18th June (just back boo hoo), and the pre-clearance was an absolute breeze, 3 people ahead of us so we were done and dusted in a few minutes plus the guy was hilarious telling my teens all the tricks that he and his brother used to do when they were teens to get into the parks !!! enough said !!! but just to warn people the security queue was something like you would see in Disney, unbelievably huge, thankfully as one of our party was in a wheelchair we bypassed all the queue. Arrive early !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

HI

Thanks

Sometimes there's a decent wait, sometimes there's only a handfull of people......but when you arrive in the US and see the lines at immigration there that are 10 times longer than even the worst you'd see in Dublin airport....you'll be quite thankful for pre-clearance in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

HI

I was wondering do u still have to go through immigration in Dublin and does it take long to go throught.

:confused::confused::confused:

Like the last poster said, it's an absolute blessing to be able to pre-clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

HI

Thanks

Depend on where in the US you are flying to and on what airline. The majority of flights preclear customs and immigration in Ireland. But between now and October 2013, the Aer Lingus flights to Boston and Chicago will clear immigration in the US, and not in Ireland.

http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/movetoterminal2atdublin/usimmigration/

Scroll down and click on the tab that says "Flights that clear US Customs and Immigration in the US"

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Would one have time for breakfast at the airport, say arriving at 6:00am for 9:00am flight to NY? I assume there is nowhere to eat once you pass through pre-clearance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

yew_tree wrote: »
    Would one have time for breakfast at the airport, say arriving at 6:00am for 9:00am flight to NY? I assume there is nowhere to eat once you pass through pre-clearance?

If you are at the airport on your way through first security at just after 6, you may be able to squeeze in a quick breakfast before immigration - i think the main bar in t2 has a speedy breakfast option. My wife somehow managed to wolf down a full irish and a pint in 15 minutes flat.

But remember at that time of the morning there are 6 flights (or more) to pre clear. Often, immigration is the least of it - there is a bottleneck at the 2nd security point.

And there is little or nothing afterwards - a sad cafe and that's about it.

Advertisement