Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork - Playground photography prohibited

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Paulw wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeysnkfgbsn/rss2/

Any thoughts??

Seems like a very sad state of affair.

Can't see such a big problem.
    There are plenty places you can take pictures of your kids, so not using your camera in a playground shouldn't be such a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Surely that would inconvenience every parent that wanted to take a picture of their child enjoying the swings.

Surely you would need to demonstrate that something like this happens alot to pass an actual law against it (yes I know you don't. you just have to be a parent and irrationally shout "I LOVE MY CHILDREN AND WANT TO PROTECT THEM!").

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Paulw wrote: »
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeysnkfgbsn/rss2/

Any thoughts??

Seems like a very sad state of affair.

A pathetic response to sensationalised fears. However the other bye laws in that article are also very ott and controlling! So you can't take photos in the playground but outside the gate you can?! Strange really but I see this thing happening more and more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

To stop older teenagers from taking over playgrounds, the bylaws stipulate that no children over 12 years of age will be allowed to use the play equipment and nobody will be allowed to cycle or skateboard. Ball playing will be outlawed.

You know, you might as well just close the 'playground' outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Interesting wording though -

The draft document states "no person, unless they are a member of a family, shall operate, or use a camera, camera phone, video or any other media device in a playground without authorisation from the council".

Now, to me, everyone is a "member of a family", since every person has a mother/father, etc.

It doesn't seem to state that you have to be a member of a family member playing in the playground. :D Grounds for a legal challenge??? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

The draft document states "no person, unless they are a member of a family, shall operate, or use a camera, camera phone, video or any other media device in a playground without authorisation from the council".

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfeysnkfgbsn/rss2/#ixzz1HcDpvG9Y

Now thats a bit of a silly draft in all honesty. Come on, Im not the smartest person in the world but even I can see someone arguing around this saying, well it says only members of a family can photograph, but sure Im a member of a family! Its tiny little details and technicalitys like this that get people off the hook! If they are going to be so over the top and sensationalist they could sure as hell at least write a law which cannot be gotten past! When it comes to the law it has to be word for word and even though common sense says member of the childs family, this draft law does not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Now, to me, everyone is a "member of a family", since every person has a mother/father, etc.
    Orphans not allowed take photos then? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

komodosp wrote: »
    Orphans not allowed take photos then? :(

Naturally not, to lose one parent may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness. You can't have careless people wandering around playgrounds in the first place, they might fall over and injure the children. Because, you know WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN.

It's a stupid ridiculous kneejerk proposal. I'd say reactionary but I'm not sure they're reacting against anything, I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a rash of paedophiles leering at kids in playgrounds recently in cork, accompanied by their cameras to take pictures ...

Here's a picture I took in a playground when my kid wasn't around. OH NO I'M OBVIOUSLY SOME SORT OF PERVERT !

4354652660_22f03ff198.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

"no person, unless they are a member of a family, shall operate, or use a camera, camera phone, video or any other media device in a playground without authorisation from the council"

No other media device means no more Ipod, no more laptop. as well as no more camera...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

gbee wrote: »
    You know, you might as well just close the 'playground' outright.

Actually, as a parent of two young kids, It's actually really annoying when you have groups of 14/15/16 yr olds hanging around in the playgrounds. Normally they're pretty courteous , if you ask them to leave a swing for example because your 3 year old wants to use it they will, or stop booting a football about the place, but there are always a few ***holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

No other media device means no more Ipod, no more laptop. as well as no more camera...
    ..or magazine or newspaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I guess if there's an injury no-one can call an ambulance, since a phone is a media device?

It's just really poorly worded. I'm no legal expert, but c'mon, there's holes the size of the moon in that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

This is like something from a comedy sketch. Do paedos go out to playgrounds to take photos of kids or something? Will paedophilia rates drop in cork? Sounds like a rule a councillor had made up, but no one will question it because no one wants to be against a law that "protects children".

Obviously the council have never heard of zoom lenses, and think that kids are teleported from their houses, to the playground, and back to their houses again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Ah, good Ol' cameranoia.

As someone who really has no interest in taking photos of anyone in a playground either way, what strikes me most about this, is that it's such a generalisation.

A paedophile taking photos of kids in a playground? It has to be the most ridiculous stereotype of paedophiles out there.

Paedophiles aren't exactly the most loved people in the world, so why in the name of god would they be running around taking photos of children in a playground (where parents are, 90% of the time, present)?

Why can't it just be "it is unlawful to photograph minors in a playrgound without prior permission or consent from the child's parent or guardian"? But even then, it doesn't make any sense, as most paedophiles don't go around with model releases anyway. They usually work away quietly enough, don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I guess with this, even a childminder, employed to mind the kids, would be breaking this by-law, if they took photos of the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Ugh.. this is just wrong on so many levels. Feckin eejits is about all I can articulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

People will go along with anything, no matter how stupid, if they're told it's against pedophiles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Personally I think this is a very positive and responsible move by Cork County Council. It is a well established fact that most peaodophiles have taken at least one photograph in their lives, often with a child in it. So this is a logical move that CCC can take to protect chidren. Let's face it, sales of cameras today cannot be accounted for by terrorists alone, so there must be another group that uses them. The only problem I can see is that they are not going far enough.

Do you realise that when questioned, nearly every paedophile has a habit of drinking Tea or Coffee. They indulge in this habit while thinking about children in unacceptable ways. Cork County Council should thus ban the consumption of these drinks within a kilometre of a child.

You do know that peadophiles wear shoes? Well what we should do is ........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm all for it - IF - the proponents of the legislation can show that an unacceptable number of children have come to harm as a result of them being photographed in a playground.

In other words, legislation should not be used to attempt to fix problems thet don't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Brass eye is more real than ever

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

PhotoWalkChallange - Cork.
    Theme: Playground and children.
    To the nearest CCC playground but remembering to stay outside the boundary fence.

Bag of lollipops for the most thanked picture.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This law will work so long as paedo's dont know about zoom lenses.

D'OH!!! >.<

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

You all know where this is going don’t you?

A mother takes out her phone and takes a snap shot of her kids, no problems, no one says a word.

A father walks through the park carrying his DSLR, but not actually using it, and the police get called because photography isn’t allowed…

Now I can understand what this law is trying to say, but the application seems a little nanny state.

Besides are pedo’s really going to walk into the middle of a play park and start snapping away at random kids with their massive DSLR and 300mm lens?

Here is a tip, if you see a man playing with one kid, laughing, calling him/her by name, the child is calling him “dad”, chances are he’s the parent. But if you see a guy sitting on a bench, talking to no one, camera out and photographing any kid that walks by…

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

what if im taking a photo of my child and another persons child is in the background .. does this mean im not allowed to photograph my child...

a nonsense law ... pure nonsense.

what if a paedophile is working for the council monitioring the cameras ... what then .. or if a paedophile brings his/her own kids to a park .. surely the paedophile law is mute then because a family member is allowed to photograph in the park ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Sigh. A sad state of affairs. But a sign of the times, unfortunately. Our children are all now adult, but we took loads of photos (P&S sadly:() of them in the park, at the beach, in the bath, etc.

As one other poster has pointed out, where does it end - especially if someone else's child is accidentally in the background. "shall not operate a camera phone". Very badly worded. This could be interpreted by some denso as being that you cannot evenBRING the phone into the playground. Sigh again. A silly law. Even for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

sad state of affairs alright - personally , i have pretty much stopped taking photos of kids - then you look at the law for actual paedophiles - a judge is caught red handed with abusive sick images, and gets off on a technicality -

are all swimming instructors and internet users, paedophiles as well ???

lets promote hysterical paranoid, and focus less on rooting out the actual sick behaviour

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I am not affected by these particular laws, being a long way from Cork, but it had me thinking.

Let's say a Photographer who is also a Paedophile goes into a playground and takes some photo's of children at play. The images will be of fully clothed children having fun. If there is any sexulisation it will only be inside the head of a viewer who thinks that way. There has not been any harm done to anyone at this stage.

If to obtain images of something that is desirable and then have corrupt thoughts is a crime, then I am guilty of stealing loads of lenses, cameras, cars and aircraft. If it's only sexual thoughts then those who look at blatantly sexual advertising must surely be guilty of rape?

I really do fail to see how photography in a public space like this is doing any harm, no matter who takes the images.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Once they balance it up by banning kids taking pics of grown ups in pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

This is completely unworkable... only commonsense thing to do is to ban children from playgrounds - thereby completely removing all risk.

Advertisement