Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today FM and lack of women presenters

• 25-03-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭

Was just looking at the shows tab on todayfm and the only female presenter is Louise Duffy(has she started yet ? ) on at 5am,when very few people will hear her. Is there no female presenters on Today Fm capable of doing a show or do the top brass in Today Fm not want women presenting shows ?

Weekday schedule
    5am - 7am Louise Duffy
    7am-9am Dempsey
    9am-12MD Ray Darcy
    12MD-2.30pm Foley
    2.30pm-4.30pm Tony Fenton
    4.30pm-7.00pm Matt Cooper
    7.00pm-10pm Paul McLoone
    10pm-12MN KC
    12MN-2.00am Donal Dineen

The weekend schedule there isn't one female presenter on the regularly scheduled programmes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Was just looking at the shows tab on todayfm and the only female presenter is Louise Duffy(has she started yet ? ) on at 5am,when very few people will hear her. Is there no female presenters on Today Fm capable of doing a show or do the top brass in Today Fm not want women presenting shows ?

Weekday schedule
    5am - 7am Louise Duffy
    7am-9am Dempsey
    9am-12MD Ray Darcy
    12MD-2.30pm Foley
    2.30pm-4.30pm Tony Fenton
    4.30pm-7.00pm Matt Cooper
    7.00pm-10pm Paul McLoone
    10pm-12MN KC
    12MN-2.00am Donal Dineen

The weekend schedule there isn't one female presenter on the regularly scheduled programmes.

Don't think you'll get the answer here, only Today FM can say what the thinking behind the schedule is. Louise Duffy starts Monday, good luck to her.

What female presenters would you suggest in the place of the main daytime ones?

Ian Dempsey
    Ray Darcy
    Ray Foley
    Tony Fenton
    Matt Cooper / Last Word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

they've had a few who moved on for various reasons. Is Pamela Halton still there with Fenton? she was filling in on the last splash for a bit. there was the morning one who left ann marie kelly was it? and Alison who did the Last splash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

I wrote a thread about this last month, Today fm keep putting the one token woman on the pre breakfast slot, Today fm has become a station full of old men, their weekend line up is the worst no changes for years

zuroph wrote: »
    they've had a few who moved on for various reasons. Is Pamela Halton still there with Fenton? she was filling in on the last splash for a bit. there was the morning one who left ann marie kelly was it? and Alison who did the Last splash.

Pamela Halton works on the Darcy show now, and yes Alison done the last splash, The Alison Curtis Show at night and earlies. AM Kelly also done earlies, and went back to Midlands 103 recently enough.

Don't think it's just Today FM, have a look at most radio schedules and it's mostly men. "They say" (whoever they are) that men don't like a womans voice on radio, and women dislike a womans voice moreso.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Woman are best suited to tv,my buddy keeps on about the weather girls on that irish tv station.Nothing worse on radio to be listening to a woman trying to be cool ,just not right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭Poochie05

decies wrote: »
    Woman are best suited to tv,my buddy keeps on about the weather girls on that irish tv station.Nothing worse on radio to be listening to a woman trying to be cool ,just not right.

And yet they seem to be good enough to read the news, traffic reports and do voiceovers on ads- i'm not sure i'm convinced by that old chestnut about people not liking women's voices on the radio.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Rachel English - a fantastic presenter.

Marian - For all her flaws, she remains (in my opinion) one of the best interviewers on Irish radio. Charlie Bird made a complete mess of the Joan Burton interview, where Marian in her own inimitable style would have made an attempt to coax out Joan's true feelings on not getting the Finance ministry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don't think it's just Today FM, have a look at most radio schedules and it's mostly men. "They say" (whoever they are) that men don't like a womans voice on radio, and women dislike a womans voice moreso.
    I agree the vast majority of most radio station schedules are male dominated, but MOST radio stations have a few female presenters if not on weekdays but at least on the weekends. But today fm have ONE for the whole seven days of radio. Don't know what the reason is but todayfm employ what appear to me to be capable women at producing the shows and being a big part of the success of the shows. Give them a chance is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

.... i don't mind women on the radio who know what they're talking about i.e. Marian, the drivetime women, newsreaders, Alison Curtis but the problem is the inane presenters like Ruth Scott & the Spin FM DJs who are fairly vacuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

zoobizoo wrote: »
    .... i don't mind women on the radio who know what they're talking about i.e. Marian, the drivetime women, newsreaders, Alison Curtis but the problem is the inane presenters like Ruth Scott & the Spin FM DJs who are fairly vacuous.

And what about the vacuous presenters who are male? Most pop music-driven radio programming is utterly inane and gormless, and it doesn't matter what gender the presenter is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

Ya there really is a shortage of female presenters!
    But Louise Duffy I dread to think what she'll be like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

DP sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Think this is just whine for whines sake. The Today FM shows listed all have a great involvement of females. Ok they are named after the "main" name which so happens to be a guy.

Take the Ray D'arcy show for example you have Muiread and Jenny make up a huge part of the show.

Ray Foley has Anne Gleeson and Adele. Both cornerstones in the show.

The only other show I listen to is Matt and I just find he is Todayfm's Pat or Miriam. A top class political journo who is great to listen to.

The only argument you could bring up is Alison Curtis getting shafted for KC or Paul Mc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I really don't mean to be rude... but that's the biggest pile of arse I've read in a while. A large proportion of the best presenters I know are women.

Quite often gender has nothing to do with it, especially when you've a passion for the job.

That said, I'll be doing an in-depth analysis (surveys and interviews) over the summer for a dissertation which concerns gender balance, specifically in radio newsrooms in Ireland... the results may surprise some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The conventional wisdom is that both men and women both prefer to listen to men on the radio. Apparently, this is backed up with research but I have never seen it nor have I ever found it!

As Miriam O'Callaghan alluded to recently, presentation is a role that often doesn't favour women particularly when they decide to have children. This will be denied in all quarters but I think it's fair to say it's an underlining factor.

On the topic of female presentation, Phantom has almost an entirely female roster from 6am to 7pm. The only bloke is Richie McCormack on the Pure Morning breakfast show for 4 hours and even then it's a co-hosted show.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

There was a new female presenter on Today FM today!

I was heading to the airport early this morning and a Louise Dunne (I think!) was doing her very first show on the 5 to 7 am slot. She said she was formerly of AA Roadwatch.

I thought she was very listenable and this was a strong showing for a 1st show. Good luck in your career Louise!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,367 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Close it was Louise Duffy. I thought she was easy to listen to and she might do well. I didn't listen live(it's my day off) but used to listen back thing on my iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Sergeant wrote: »
    Rachel English - a fantastic presenter.

Marian - For all her flaws, she remains (in my opinion) one of the best interviewers on Irish radio. Charlie Bird made a complete mess of the Joan Burton interview, where Marian in her own inimitable style would have made an attempt to coax out Joan's true feelings on not getting the Finance ministry.

She's terribly expensive though, her salary is as obscene as any property developer. Let her feck off, hopefully RTE will NOT renew her contract and we will not have to either pay her or listen to her self importance!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ferrier

To get back to the main point of this thread, it remains a disturbing fact that Today FM is the only national station which has never had a female presenter from 7am to 7pm apart from the odd "sitting in."
    Today fm seem to think the role of women in programming is to giggle at the male presenters inane witterings.
    Still - Today's loss is other stations gains:
    A M Kelly went to Midlands, Alison to Phantom, Bernie Jameson (former Today newswoman) is on Spirit, and Breffni Clack went to Nova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Ferrier wrote: »
    To get back to the main point of this thread, it remains a disturbing fact that Today FM is the only national station which has never had a female presenter from 7am to 7pm apart from the odd "sitting in."
    Today fm seem to think the role of women in programming is to giggle at the male presenters inane witterings.
    A M Kelly went to Midlands, Alison to Phantom, Bernie Jameson (former Today newswoman) is on Spirit, and Breffni Clack went to Nova.

they've also barely changed their line up in the whole time they've been operating though, and have put the strongest talent they can into each slot to compete against rivals, so its really not a case of sexism, just strong business management.

• Advertisement

Ferrier wrote: »

Also, from what I understand, it was also a business decision to move Alison, and AM Kelly moved as she didn't want the early mornings with a new babóg.

Advertisement