Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IADT animation Portfolio 2011

Options
  • 25-03-2011 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey guys.
    I have applied for the animation degree programme in IADT this year and had my portfolio assessed yesterday.
    Has anyone else applied for this course? and is it your first choice on the CAO.?
    I am already dying to know the result of my portfolio and it has only been a day! its gonna absolutely kill me getting through april. Does anyone know the specific or approximate date in may when the results are sent out. The email said that all aapplicants will be notified by the end of May but i would be much happier if i had a certain week to count down to!!
    Also, if you have applied this year, what point range are you hoping to get? I wud be very happy with 350 + points bt can't bank on anything. Thanks for reading and hope to hear from ye soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BillabongMad

Hi! I applied for IADT Animation this year too (first choice)

Horrified for when I'll get the results, I fear the worst. I think I'll be lucky to get 300!
    I don't know when the results come out exactly but people are already being called back for interviews.
    Best of luck, I hope you do well ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grouch

I have also submitted my portfolio for assessment this year to animation although it is 5th on my CAO. I couldnt tell you when the results are but was wondering were either of you called back for an interview. Do you know if this is a good thing or bad thing?

Hi grouch,
    I wasn't called back for an interview, but my friend was.
    I don't think there's anything good or bad about being called back (at least I'm hoping there's not) It could be completely random or maybe there's a special reason I don't know. Sorry I'm not very helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SaoirseM

Hey, I applied for visual arts in IADT and was wondering if anyone knew if they were calling back folk for interviews for this course? :D

SaoirseM,
    Yes they are calling people back for interviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Hi I'm a animator in animation in iadt.

Just to let you know, theres no certain date. if they say around may. Your just gonna have to wait.
    Just to let you know not being called for an interview, doesn't mean you don't get in. The interview is to check, is this the right course for you and the type of person you are. If I remember Right my class got no interviews.
    To be honest the points you should be aiming for in your portfolio is around 400+ (thats my score) I think there was someone lower then me. Always aim for the high numbers tho.

I hope this help with some of you questions. I hope you lot do well. Might end up seeing you in the course :D

Chueytoo,
    Thank you! Very helpful :)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

No worrys man. If you got any question on the course let me know ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Hi I applied for animation in IADT today and I was just wondering when exactly do I get the email from IADT thanking me for applying to the course and the guidelines to follow in downloading the questionaire? I know it might take a day or two im just really jittery about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 grouch

If you look up you'll notice I posted around this time last year. Although I can't help you with remembering the date, I want you guys (and future posters) to know something that might help. I got 450/600 in the portfolio for animation in IADT. After my call-back interview they asked me what amount of points (in or around) I was aiming to achieve. When I replied with, "hopefully around 360", (bringing my total to 810/1200) their eyes lit up and they said, "no false hope but we might definitely be seeing you next year so..". I got 385 in the end and thought I had it in the bag but turns out the points leapt up over a hundred from the previous year. I barely missed the cut off. Any way hope it helps.

Grouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Souleater3000 - you will hear from iADT by email around the middle of March to give you your portfolio assessment date. The date will be between the 26th and the 29th of March. In the mean time you can look in the prospectus for portfolio guidelines or go to : http://www.iadt.ie/en/ProspectiveStudents/HowtoApply/PortfolioRequirements/ for portfolio dates and general information.

cheers

Thanks, i actually found the information part that said it would be march not to long after posting this haha, But thank you for confirming it for me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ProjectMaths

I'm completely freaking out over the portfolio. I still haven't started my storyboards and I have no idea what mark I'll get in the thing overall. To me, what I've done looks completely awful but I'm doing a porfolio course, and they don't seem too worried. Still though, everyone else's work looks a lot better and I really can't paint well at all. I'm actually terrified of not passing the 240 mark. Even more than I am about doing the Leaving this year.

I got my email about the assessment date today and it says to go to 'The Chapel' IADT. What part of IADT is that is it the same place as last year, that arts block? I've never heard of it being called that.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

The chapel is just in the door of the quadrangle (/arts block).

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

http://www.iadt.ie/en/Visitors/MapsDirections/Thefile,1040,en.swf

Mouse over the room to the left of main entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vantai

To anyone who has done animation,what is the course like?Is there much work in animation after,how many people get jobs?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Vantai wrote: »
    Is there much work in animation after,how many people get jobs?

No, not really. Work comes and goes, there is no such thing as a permanent position, it's all pretty much 6 month contracts. If you are pretty good at classical and flash animation, there will be work open to you most of the time though. The hours will be terrible and the money not worth it and you will be working on mind-numbing childrens programming for the most part. If you have a penchant for the 3D you'll have to leave the country upon graduating to find work most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Vantai

So what did everyone get? I got 400 in animation.

I think they are biast, i got 20 this year and 240 last year, this year i reused some of my stuff and utterly improved on characters i created last year, how the hell does this stuff happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SamFringo

I tried to get into the film and television production course, which needs a portfolio, this is what happened...

When i sent my portfolio in to be reviewed, i had a 12min dvd, 4 paintings, and paperwork which included my CV, the script to the movie, why i chose certain angles, my past experience and filming techniques i used. A month later i had an interview there. At the end of may they gave my portfolio results, i got 410 out of 600!

I emailed them asking for the details of the review and interview, at the top of the page they sent me it said,'Contained 1 DVD, 4 paintings (No paperwork)'. This was so stupid! I did have paperwork and it was the bulk of my portfolio. So i sent them a slip explaining what they missed in my portfolio, everything in the paperwork, so they could re-review everything and possibly change my points.

So, a few weeks later they sent me back an email saying that they had turned down my request to have my portfolio re-reviewed and that everything that had been looked at (4 paintings, 4 minutes of the dvd and a 5 minute interview) was enough for them to get a general idea?
    I got no marks for development as they didn't read the paperwork, and as they didn't read the paperwork they asked a lot of vague questions about the dvd in the interview.

Now i need to get around 490 in my LC. I got 380 in my mocks. So i have to pay for their mistake. I called them today, but the guy told me there wasn't gonna be much of a chance to get it reviewed again.

Advertisement