Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA question for 2011

Options
  • 25-03-2011 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all. I've been unemployed since end of November after 5 years of full-time work. I decided to apply to University in the UK, and got an offer of a place in a fantastic Uni for next September. I really didn't expect to get a place, so I've only started looking at grants now.

I've applied for my tuition fee loan from the relevant UK body, which covers fees. Should I apply for a maintenance grant from my VEC for next year, or is it Back to Education allowance? I just had a look at the BTEA and it said that you have to be unemployed for 234 days.. does that mean before you apply, OR before you start the course? I've only been on JSB for about 4/5 months now so if it means before then that would rule me out right? Is there much of a difference between the BTEA and the maintenance grant?

Would really appreciate any advice, thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

You have to be unemployed for 9 months before you start the course, when the BTEA kicks in.

The BTEA is a weekly payment of about 150, the grant is a once off payment of about 2,500.

Advertisement