Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun side saddle?

Options
  • 25-03-2011 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Iv got a new remington 870 i want to put a side saddle on it. First of all is it legal to do so? If so does anyone have any info as to where i can get one in ireland. Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

just so we're on the same page you are refering to a shell holder/side saddle like so..................

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRoZ7I7BvODyWL0R9vT9I2mrA2mEAcLBcsFP2zb7aGoiisOi1j
    If so i cannot see any problems with having a side saddle on a shotgun. It is simply a method by which to hold your ammo. No different to one that sits on the rear stock of a rifle ..............
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQoHqIPkelj3aYcjdPxQk03vJjUoYTsuoRKfwbAimYeUSRSKJMh

Pretty much every hunter i know has something similar attached to his/her rifle.

As to where to get one. They are not a common feature in any shop i've visited in the last few years however there are a number of international shops that deal in them such as Caluvtech, and Tacstar. As the item is not a componant part, a barrel stock or anything the gun needs to function/work, etc then i cannot see an issue with importing it.

As always when in doubt check it out. Do not take my word for it and land yourself in trouble. ;):cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

duffyer wrote: »
    Iv got a new remington 870 i want to put a side saddle on it. First of all is it legal to do so? If so does anyone have any info as to where i can get one in ireland. Cheers

Again the pooly worded SI will leave it up to your judgement on this....

(2)

(b)
    shotguns manufactured, adapted or modified so as to render them
    incapable of containing more than 3 cartridges, but not to shotguns—
    (i) with a detached, folding or telescopic stock, or
    (ii) with a pistol grip, or
    (iii) whose barrel is less than 60.9 centimetres (24 inches) in length;
    I would say that it is legal it is your magazine tube that contains your cartridges not the side saddle, nor is it mentioned as a criteria that makes a shotgun restricted.
    IMO that side saddle will put undue weight on the gun. Id put them either on a belt or on your wrist.

That particular SI refers to the amount a gun can hold and its (the guns) title (restricted or unrestricted) as a result of that amount. There is no SI/law/rule that i know of to limit or restrict the amount of ammo a person can carry (physically, not license wise) or the means by which they carry it.

If there were then there would be a limit on the size of your pockets/gun belt, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Ezridax wrote: »
    That particular SI refers to the amount a gun can hold and its (the guns) title (restricted or unrestricted) as a result of that amount. There is no SI/law/rule that i know of to limit or restrict the amount of ammo a person can carry (physically, not license wise) or the means by which they carry it.

If there were then there would be a limit on the size of your pockets/gun belt, etc.

Thats pretty much what I was saying but thank you for the humour and making sure that were all perfectly clear

Wasn't getting at ya. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You 'll either love them or hate them.There is no medium with these.
    Personally hate them myself.On the wrong side of the gun for us southpaws,so unless you have a LH eject gun it is a fumble that precludes you doing a speed load left handed.It upsets I find also the balance of the gun and puts everything on the "wrong " side for me.
    Handy if you need a few rounds of special ammo close to hand,like 00 or bbs for a fox while out hunting birds.Saw somone made once a fitting to hold a surefire type torch in this for illuminating you target at night.Called the scorpion,dunno if it is made anymore,but that was the only other practical[or not] use of one of those.
    Only way to find out if you like one or not is get one and try it out.
    Would sell you mine except I dumped it years ago in the US.:pac:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement