Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Sessions in FF and Chrome

Options
  • 25-03-2011 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys

Having Recently made my php site live (thanks to Web Monkey to advice given to my about Sessions) I have encoutered another issue

I use session_start(); in a header.php file that is called in all my php pages

In IE, sessions are now working fine, as they should

In FF and Chrome however, when I login, it creates the session, and loads the relevant page, however when I click on any other php page, the session is lost and I need to log in again

As I say, its 100% in IE

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks to everyone that has helped me so far in previous threads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

On further investigation

I have tried IE on another machine and its not working... very very strange and annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

PHP Sessions are server-side, the browser used shouldn't have any bearing on their working. Try resetting your browsers and making sure you're not running cached versions of the files, and post the code here if you're still stuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

What are you putting in the session? Can you echo the session data to the page after login to see if it looks right? These sort of things are often encoding related.

Here is the code for the login:

function checkLogin($u, $p)
    {
    global $seed; // global because $seed is declared in the header.php file

if (!valid_username($u) || !valid_password($p) || !user_exists($u))
    {
    // the name was not valid, or the password, or the username did not exist
    return false;
    }

//Now let us look for the user in the database.
    $query = sprintf("
    SELECT loginid
    FROM login
    WHERE
    username = '%s' AND password = '%s'
    AND disabled = 0 AND activated = 1
    LIMIT 1;", mysql_real_escape_string($u), mysql_real_escape_string(sha1($p . $seed)));
    $result = mysql_query($query);
    // If the database returns a 0 as result we know the login information is incorrect.
    // If the database returns a 1 as result we know the login was correct and we proceed.
    // If the database returns a result > 1 there are multple users
    // with the same username and password, so the login will fail.
    if (mysql_num_rows($result) != 1)
    {
    return false;
    } else
    {
    // Login was successfull
    $row = mysql_fetch_array($result);
    // Save the user ID for use later
    $_SESSION = $row;
    // Save the username for use later
    $_SESSION = $u;
    //Save the Firstname for use later
    $_SESSION = $row;
    $_SESSION = $row;
    // Now we show the userbox
    return true;
    }
    return false;

}

?>

I then use on all my php funcations

$username = $_SESSION;
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM profile where username = '$username'");

With the results then formatted using HTML etc

So, I can login ok, it works perfectly and loads profile.php page

If I then click on a hyperlink to any other page, or even to the profile.php again it looses the session information

Best seen here:

http://www.myapprentice.ie/

username: boards
    password: password

Sometimes sessions work ok in IE

Best to test in FF or Chrome

Click on the "profile" link at the top of the page in the banner, and you are logged out and the profile page information is gone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Aren't you supposed to call session_start(); before you can store variables in the $_SESSION[] array? You don't seem to be in the above example, unless I'm mistaking you.

Are you also making sure that session_start(); is the first line in your file? Even a blank line ahead of it can cause problems.

• Advertisement

Hi there

I call header.php in every page

This includes various pages like the db connect settings and also the login functions page which starts the session

I thought of something this morning? When I call my function, should I pass my variable, for example:

Show_profile($username);

Please forgive me as I'm a complete beginner

Header.php file:

<?php
    error_reporting(1); // we don't want to see errors on screen
    // Start a session
    session_start();
    require_once ('db_connect.inc.php'); // include the database connection
    require_once ("functions.inc.php"); // include all the functions
    ?>

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭t1mm

Comment out the error reporting line while you're debugging your code - thats what the errors are there for :)

Done and this is what I get:

Warning: session_start() URL="http://www.myapprentice.ie/function.session-start"][COLOR=#0066cc]function.session-start[/COLOR][/URL: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\profile.php:12) in D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\header.php on line 5

Warning: session_start() URL="http://www.myapprentice.ie/function.session-start"][COLOR=#0066cc]function.session-start[/COLOR][/URL: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\profile.php:12) in D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\header.php on line 5

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\profile.php:12) in D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\re-direct.php on line 11

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\profile.php:12) in D:\Domains\myapprentice.ie\wwwroot\login.php on line 12

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

Do you call anything or output any html at all before including header.php?

session_start() needs to be called before php outputs anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

session_start() has to be called even before your DOCTYPE declaration, so just check again that you're not outputting anything to the browser before calling it.

All sorted lads

Thanks a mill for all the help

I was calling header.php more than once in some parts of the code, I just call it now at the very top of every page and it working fine

Thanks again

No doubt I will be on again when I try to get SMTP working :rolleyes:

Advertisement