Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BEWARE] Facebook Marketing by thesocialmediapeople.co.uk

Options
  • 25-03-2011 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi all,

We've just had a phonecall from a UK based company called thesocialmediapeople. They're hard selling their services as Facebook marketers and are looking for gullible folk from whom they can take their hard earned cash.

They initially spoke to an older colleague of mine who asked them to send a copy of their rates etc though to us via email as it may be on option in the future.
    The email came through followed immediately by another hard sell telephone call from their "Regional Sales Manager (UK/Ireland)" - we told her we'd look into it and call her back.
    About 15 minutes later the phone ring and low and behold it's yer one on the hard sell AGAIN - we told her it wasn't for us and she wondered why - "because it's something that we can do ourselves in our own time" we said.

She came back with a tirade of abuse implying that we didn't have a clue what we were on about (amongst other things).

After a bit of investigation it turns out that this cowboy outfit have been causing a bit of a stir in the UK with their boiler room style tactics:
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-social-media-people-net66-c429039.html#c933508

Our advice is to be on your guard if you're approached by this shower who are obviously now targeting Irish Companies as their name in the UK is being dragged through the mud.

Have a good weekend one and all!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Contributor87

As a UK based ex-customer of The Social Media People (www.thesocialmediapeople.co.uk') I too would discourage any use of the company. My experience cost me money, heartache and a lot of wasted time.
    The same directors also run (or ran?) Net66 Webservices Ltd and The Social Network Marketing Company Ltd.
    Hi all,

We've just had a phonecall from a UK based company called thesocialmediapeople. They're hard selling their services as Facebook marketers and are looking for gullible folk from whom they can take their hard earned cash.

They initially spoke to an older colleague of mine who asked them to send a copy of their rates etc though to us via email as it may be on option in the future.
    The email came through followed immediately by another hard sell telephone call from their "Regional Sales Manager (UK/Ireland)" - we told her we'd look into it and call her back.
    About 15 minutes later the phone ring and low and behold it's yer one on the hard sell AGAIN - we told her it wasn't for us and she wondered why - "because it's something that we can do ourselves in our own time" we said.

She came back with a tirade of abuse implying that we didn't have a clue what we were on about (amongst other things).

After a bit of investigation it turns out that this cowboy outfit have been causing a bit of a stir in the UK with their boiler room style tactics:
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/the-social-media-people-net66-c429039.html#c933508

Our advice is to be on your guard if you're approached by this shower who are obviously now targeting Irish Companies as their name in the UK is being dragged through the mud.

Have a good weekend one and all!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

With all due respect to the above posters, does anyone else have any experience/dealings with this company.

Complains websites tend to be full of unmoderated libel and considering the two above posters share 4 posts between them, I'd love to get the opinion of others.

Again, I do not doubt the negative experiences of the two posters, just hoping for as much info as possible ;)

Trashbat seeks further verification, and I agree that it is easy to make unsubstantiated claims on the forums etc. I too would like to see additional contributors quoting facts, to help me build my file of information.

Regarding this case why not check for yourself, and judge from the information posted by the very company accused of causing the heartache.
    Its spokesman, Steven Jackson, on the public forum previously cited uses:
    1. A phone number which is out of service;
    2. The address (including an error).
    AND MOST IMPORTANT -
    3. The name of a company which sounds similar to the The Social Media People, but the one he uses - 'The Social Media People UK Ltd -does not exist on England's Companies House records. (and to use the 'Ltd.' term, a company should be incorporated and registered with Companies House.)

The 'Customer Services Director' and spokesman for the company should be accurate if attempting to establish its credentials. His own 'posts' are riddled with errors of fact, spelling, grammar, punctuation which can be observed by all.

'The Social Network Marketing Company trading as The Social Media People' is the one I, and I believe other, contributors are concerned about.
    There are companies (not relevant here, but owned by the same Directors) called 'The Social Media People Ltd., and Net66 Ltd.
    The Social Media People UK Ltd does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

My advise is to GET OFF FACEBOOK STRAIGHT AWAY!!

During the past few weeks there has been a huge amount of traffic 'discussing' the merits, or otherwise, of The Social Media People and Net66.
    See (8 pages worth!):
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/scam-c429039.html

and (6 pages worth!):
    http://badbizforum.com/the-social-network-marketing-company-ltd/the-social-network-marketing-company-ltd-pending-investigation/

There have been some low blows delivered from all sides but I know how I'd judge things.

...And I won't be buying anything from The Social Media People.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Corey01

Marketing your products or services through facebook media could prove to be a good option as that may help you to attract a large group of people and it will ultimately lead to the expansion of your business. So, I suggest give a thought to marketing through social networking websites to help your business flourish and prosper.

.... But NOT through: The Social Media People (The Social Network Marketing Company Ltd.)!
    THAT would be a bad idea.
    In England there are currently investigations being undertaken by: Trading Standards, The Advertising Standards Authority, Companies House, Manchester Police, Sussex Police, Gwent Police.

And the sister company - Net66 Webservices Ltd. (Net66.co.uk) is also included.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Net66Scam

The Social Media People is now described as 'a trading brand of Net66 Web Services Ltd' by the company itself.
    They also have another 'name' and website of 'Online Web Services'.

Whatever name the company uses its dreadful reputation is with it - like the dead albatross in The Ancient Mariner.

Deal with any 'brand' at your own peril!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd be very wary of any internet marketing/SEO firm who rings you up out of the blue pitching their services, particularly if they're pushing for a quick response.

Why would a quality UK marketing company be cold calling businesses in Ireland? Have they exhausted the UK market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Wow, four different low-postcount posters all slating one particular company?

That's amazing!

It's nearly like a social media competitor decided to register a few accounts and attack the reputation of their rival.
    I wish I knew who it was though, I'd carefully avoid any social media company who so hamfistedly attempted to character assassinate their competition...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Well all you have to do is look at their website (assuming it's www[dot]thesocialmediapeople.co.uk):

- They're at "a group of companies who strive to be at the cutting edge of this fast moving industry", don't even list these companies anywhere, and have a total of 289 Facebook likes;

- The have 82 Twitter followers and 79 tweets. Including one in January passing on a rumour about Facebook shutting down in March. Followed later the same day by: "Rumours of Facebook shutting down have proved to be FALSE! ". Shock, horror.

- They don't show any referrals "due to an extremely high level of contact, and attempted poaching of business". Except that their 'Dutch' site still lists their clients - Subway and Bet365 among them.
    Despite this, they're reduced to cold calling business in Ireland?

- They're social media experts and don't even have a blog;

- Their contact page is hilarious. Contact details for the US, the UK, France and Holland. Except maybe it's Germany - the flag is Dutch, the website address is .nl, but the e-mail address is .de. Oh and they've misspelled 'people' in the URL.
    And the contact number for New York is a mobile.

- there's no privacy statement anywhere on their site;

- Their internationalisation consists of translating the contact form, about us, and top menu on both the .nl and .fr sites. Everything else is in English. Half the contact form is still in English anyway.

- Their site registration is less than a year old, is listed as "Other UK Entity (e.g. clubs, associations, many universities)", not as a business, with an address in London (may not mean much).

They certainly don't strike me as an international, professional, capable social media advertising business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 think social biz

Well we have come across a few companies that have been approached by this company. Each on has been told something different to what they signed up for. the conversation normally starts that they are working for facebook & that it is a once off fee.

the worst thing is that this is relatively new for most businesses, like google adwords was a couple of years ago and businesses like this one are taking advantage of it. there were companies like match maker marketing see ref. http://www.business-startup.ie/general/matchmaker-marketing-trick-irish-businesses-beware.html & Dot-Com-Chrome which were set up to basically scam people.

Our best advise is check out the work the client has done, we have our portfolio of work on our website. A very active facebook wall & a clear pricing structure.

I find it amazing that most of these companies originate in manchester. But there T&C's seem to cover them.

have a look at the T & C's in the website in question and see how they have covered there arse legally once the client has signed. Also how hard it is to get out of. "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Net66Scam

Speaking from bitter experience I can confirm all the negative comments about this company are justified.

In UK several (at least) customers have won back their money using 'chargeback' claims through their card/bank based on 'non-delivery of service'.

There is a large body of well documented and verifiable evidence to support the case that Net66 - The Social Media People should be treated with extreme scepticism.

To examine a body of comment discussing this issue there is a .com complaints website alled ComplaintsBoard which will provide it. Just search 'net66' or 'the social media people'.

At this very moment the company's websites are in breach of UK Companies Act law - but that sort of misdemeanour has been going on for months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GhGh22

Hi,

Just to add more scammers to be aware of, Egde Development Systems have contacted me today. They claim they'd bought the customer base of Dot.Com Chrome and try to make you pay 50% of arrears which according to them you have with Dot.Com Chrome. They will give you 2 options: 1. Pay the 50% and get free month of Google Adwords 2. Refuse to pay and fight agianst debt collectors and solicitors hired by Dot.Com Chrome.
    After a little research you can see that Dot.Com Chrome and Edge Developments are run by the same guys, who by the way in the UK have been convicted and fined for scamming.

Just to beware.

Well we have come across a few companies that have been approached by this company. Each on has been told something different to what they signed up for. the conversation normally starts that they are working for facebook & that it is a once off fee.

the worst thing is that this is relatively new for most businesses, like google adwords was a couple of years ago and businesses like this one are taking advantage of it. there were companies like match maker marketing see ref. http://www.business-startup.ie/general/matchmaker-marketing-trick-irish-businesses-beware.html & Dot-Com-Chrome which were set up to basically scam people.

Our best advise is check out the work the client has done, we have our portfolio of work on our website. A very active facebook wall & a clear pricing structure.

I find it amazing that most of these companies originate in manchester. But there T&C's seem to cover them.

have a look at the T & C's in the website in question and see how they have covered there arse legally once the client has signed. Also how hard it is to get out of. "

ASA Investigations of The Social Media People / Net66 published 23 November 2011.

Following several earlier investigations into the advertising/marketing claims of The Social Media People/Net66, results of 2 more have just been published.

These two related to false claims about the history of Net66, and of being a market leader.

ASA investigations over several months continue to uncover & rectify Net66s misleading/false claims - despite the transparently untrue insistence of Net66 that it has never been investigated!

(Reference: ASA website page - http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications.aspx#2 )

The Social Media People scam (Net66) launches new website – and piles new lies on top of the old!

In January 'madgem'(Net66’s ‘Grace’) was lying another forum - e-customer-satisfaction.com - when she tried to explain why some customers who’d apparently been posting supportive comments were doing so from the same IP Address as hers. Trouble is at least one of those customers didn’t write or approve the posts: it was a case of the customer’s identity being ‘stolen’.

Since April, Net66/The Social Media People has been consistently lying on websites and direct to customers; a fact proven on many occasions with documents and recordings with the company’s ‘fingerprints’ firmly and clearly attached. (As an ex-customer, I can provide copies/references if you need convincing!)

Last week, in November 2011, The Social Media People launched a shiny new website.
    Had it seen the error of its ways and done something honest and straightforward?
    - No, of course not. It devised and incorporated brand new premeditated lies to make itself seem big and important. A new ‘office’ in Toronto!
    ( Claimed to be at: 100 King Street West, Toronto, ON M5X2A1. Tel: (416) 862 8138 )

Trouble is – no-one at the Canadian office has ever heard of The Social Media People, and the genuine company based there - Brookfield Properties confirmed this.
    A quick phone call to the offices, and an email, brought confirmation from Brookfield Properties - no record of TSMP in any way, shape or form.

Which might also explain why TSMP quickly removed the phone number and ‘muddied’ the address, so it is no longer usurping the phone number/address of Brookfield Properties and First Canadian Place. (TSMP removed the building & phone numbers.) But it maintains the lie of a Canadian office on the same street in Toronto – a ‘phantom’ office with an incomplete address. (Anyone for - Paris? USA? Spain? Netherlands? )

Another home goal for TSMP. Another premeditated lie. Yet another example of its deceitful practices.
    No honesty. No ethics. No integrity. But always inventing new lies to bolster its abysmal reputation.

Strange. If Net66 spent more time doing honest business, and less promoting its lies and deceit, it might be a bit more successful. It would certainly leave itself less open to well documented criticism.

As a potential customer would this make you cautious about dealing with Net66/The Social Media People?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭charlie2505

Ok so it appears I may have been scammed. Last time that happened was in 1999 so am very annoyed at myself right now. Anyways, there are alot of warnings to those who were clever enough to do more searching than I did before I gave away credit card details. But what can I do now?
    T+C's state that I can cancel within the first 30 days-sent letter same day we signed up, so does that mean I am in the clear except for initial payment or not? If not, how do I ensure no more money taken out?
    And if looking for a chargeback on credit card, I would have to prove that no service was carried out. Other than my word for it-that so far I havent seen any ads belonging to my business, how do I prove the ad's never happened?
    Thanks in advance and yes I know, how gullible of me.

Charlie is now feeling as dumb as many others before him (especially me!) have done. Join the 'unhappy band' Charlie!

I have sent a Personal Message' through this system to offer what information I can, because there is now a body of experience which can inform 'new victims', and possibly help them get through with a bit less worry than many others before.

There are some reference documents and recordings at:
    https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=4dd55fb3e5302996&resid=4DD55FB3E5302996!107&parid=root

Does The Social Media people tell lies? - Does The Social Media People publish its lies in full view of everyone?

Well, yes. The answer to those two questions is:
    Yes The Social Media People/Net66 tells lies to customers and potential customers.

During 2011 The Social Media People claims to have a branch or office in USA. It recently updated its website AND UPDATED THE LIE!
    What happens if someone tries to contact that office? Nothing! There is no office: therefore TSMP has lied (yet again)
    Is there any evidence to support such an allegation? Yes. Whether phoning (001 917 3000 360), or writing it becomes abundantly clear that TSMP is not known there, and the phone line is dead.

Listen to a 1 minute recording of calls made in May and December at: https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=4dd55fb3e5302996&resid=4DD55FB3E5302996!269&parid=4DD55FB3E5302996!268&authkey=!AAa_R0zhEgVUHu8
    A letter sent to the office will be ‘Returned to Sender’ because ‘Addressee not known here.’
    If you don’t believe me why not prove it yourself by phoning/writing? The Social Media People publishes lies/falsehoods/fallacies/fantasies.

The Social Media People caught out in yet another easily provable lie.

It is worth reiterating that:
    1. The USA phone number has featured on The Social Media People website from the beginning of 2011.
    2. It was pointed out months ago that it was a false or inoperative number. (So plenty of time to correct matters if it was a 'mistake')
    3. The ASA has previously taken action against TSMP on this matter, during investigations into the website claims of the company.
    4. TSMP has refreshed/redesigned its website within the last 3 weeks.
    5. TSMP has revised the particular claim relating to the USA office within the last few days (to include the description 'Forwarding Address')

The above points are important because they demonstrate a continuing, long-standing critical focus on the existence (OR NON-EXISTENCE) of this USA office, and the company's familiarity with the concerns over the claim/website page.
    So there can be no excuse that it is a forgivable, minor mistake: it is a premeditated, and blatant lie.

A lie, which alongside the litany of other lies employed by The Social Media People/Net66 further proves that the company and
    its directors have no honesty, no integrity, no ethics. –

And of course – the PROOF of this is in a document (TSMP website) which is within the total control of the company:
    so no outsider could have tampered with or faked that evidence and proof.
    That evidence/proof is still there today!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Alright, thats enough. I think everyone gets the point.

Topic Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement