Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlumney Castle

Options
  • 25-03-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Does anybody know whereabouts around Navan I would find Athlumney Castle? I believe its a large site in ruins, but still an impressive site.

Also, would you happen to know if its possible to get to it and have a wander around, or is it on private lands?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

It's just off the kentstown road before the rail bridge, there is a large house currently being restored but there is an old church ruin on the opposite side of the road that you can wander around as far down as the river.
    I'd love to know more about the history of old Athlumney myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭Archeron

Excellent, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I understand that for a small fee (5€) you can get the key to the Castle from the nuns at the Loretto College (secondary school) located beside it. There used to be a notice posted on the door to it indicating this.
    Would be interested to know if that still is the case if you get into it.

Fiskar wrote: »
    I understand that for a small fee (5€) you can get the key to the Castle from the nuns at the Loretto College (secondary school) located beside it. There used to be a notice posted on the door to it indicating this.
    Would be interested to know if that still is the case if you get into it.

Nice one Fiskar, thanks for this. I hope to head up this weekend, so will let you know if this is still the case.

Archeron wrote: »
    Nice one Fiskar, thanks for this. I hope to head up this weekend, so will let you know if this is still the case.

I doubt it as it's a building site at the minute with timber hoarding up around it.
    Archy I will be driving by at some stage tomorrow so I'll let you know if it's worth your while going up as access might be restricted.

• Advertisement

I doubt it as it's a building site at the minute with timber hoarding up around it.
    Archy I will be driving by at some stage tomorrow so I'll let you know if it's worth your while going up as access might be restricted.

Nice one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

You can walk around the castle grounds alright - one side of it is actually at the side of the footpath. The other side of the walls is on a green area.

You wont be able to access it though. Gates are always locked and there was scaffolding up there the last time I saw it so doubt you would be allowed in.

Took a cycle up thismorning, like skywalker said it's being restOres on one side and the other looks beautiful. Well kept and should be lovely when finished. Will have to see if you can still get that key.

Thanks for the replies all, but I think I might be going blind. I drove up the Kentstown road the other day and couldnt find it :o

I seen the big church on the right near the rail bridge (as you leave Navan) which I think is in the grounds of a school, and I went as far as the housing estate called Athlumney woods, but couldnt see the castle. Doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

As soon as you cross the bridge which crosses the river you take an immediate right turn up a hill and around a bend to the left. It it just on the left hand side.

If you went under a rail bridge you went too far and missed the turn. The turn is almost opposite Spicers Bakery

• Advertisement
Advertisement