Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive failure - installing Win7 on new drive from OEM partition on failed drive.

Options
  • 25-03-2011 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Hey, hope someone can help.

The hard drive from my laptop has recently failed. There was signs of it failing for a while which I never picked up on; skipping/freezing video, etc.

Anyway, recently it began blue screening so I restored it to it's factory settings from the partition. It was grand for a few days but now it won't boot. It's stuck in a startup loop. When I tried to use startup repair it tells me that it can't fix the problems. So then I tried to reformat again, but this time it just comes up with an error and it won't go any further. I even tried booting a recovery disc from USB, but no dice.

I'm presuming that it's a HDD failure. RAM is seated properly etc.

The problem is that I don't have a Win7 disc. It's an OEM partition on the drive which I never bothered to create a backup of. What's the story in this situation? How will I go about installing Win7 on a new drive? Is it possible to copy the OEM image from the failed drive? And if so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

do you have the windows 7 sticker with the product code

if so then you could just get a windows 7 install disc or make your own.
    it should work but sometimes it happens that you have to ring Microsoft to activate it over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Cheers. I went ahead and downloaded an installation disc and reformatted. Seems alright now.

Advertisement