Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation

• 25-03-2011 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Thinking of renewing the attic insulation in my parent's bungalow as the existing is fairly shot. What's best to put in the floor of the attic? Rockwool or fiberglass batt? Or is there another one. I presume to use rigid in between the rafters. Any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

put the old insulation between the rafters as its most probably only 4 inch, then crosslay another 8 or 10 inches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

antlyn wrote: »
    Thinking of renewing the attic insulation in my parent's bungalow as the existing is fairly shot. What's best to put in the floor of the attic? Rockwool or fiberglass batt? Or is there another one. I presume to use rigid in between the rafters. Any help appreciated, thanks

is the existing attic floored?

I have just finished a job where I lifted the floored attic and raised the rafters by 6 inches using 3 layers of 2 by 2 rough with 5mm by 100mm screws at 300mm centres.
    i then used a loose cellulose type insulation which u just break up and spread between the rafters and then relaid the floor leaving 5mm gaps for floor to breath. I left the glass fibre.

All wires were put in conduits and all pipes fully insulated

There is now about 12 to 14 inches of insulation in total.

pm if u need a link on the stuff I used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JCFROG

Hi Everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and interested in Attic insulation (DIY). My attic is already insulated at floor/ceiling level. Is it necessary to to insulate the roof panels? Any response most appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

JCFROG wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I am a newbie to the forum and interested in Attic insulation (DIY). My attic is already insulated at floor/ceiling level. Is it necessary to to insulate the roof panels? Any response most appreciated.

It won't hurt you any but unless it's a habital room there's no point really. The insulation between your joists is doing the work of retaining the heat so any insulation between the rafters will have little to no impact.

Advertisement