Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Surplus Assassin snails

Options
  • 25-03-2011 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I have about 20 juvenile assassin snails available.
    I bought 4 adults a while back and they have been extremely successful. And they bred and have cleared out nearly all of my snail problem...

So I'd like to give away some of the younger ones before the food runs out and they start eating each other of too much fish food.

They are all approx 1-5mm at the moment.

Free to collect (bring a bag), you can take any number you wish.
    PM me

Adults are being kept.

Mods: I'm placing this here purely as this is where those with tanks will see it, I hope this is ok rather than adverts for something so restricted and specific?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

i could take a few off you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Sure thing, do you not have loaches in your tank though?
    Will they not just end up as lunch

Sure thing, do you not have loaches in your tank though?
    Will they not just end up as lunch

my top tank is a guppy tank . just bought loads of plants for it but there seems to be a few hitch hikers

they will go into this tank
    i have 2 guppy's pregnant so if you wait a week i can give you some fry
    152961.jpg

Nice looking tank

And thanks for the offer but I've enough fish in the tank as is :)

how many do you want?

It took the adults a few weeks to actually make a dent in the population and I was still removing snail by hand but in the last two weeks they've really gotten on top of the prob. So don't expect miracles but 4-5 should eventually give you a good level of control.

no idea

4 or 5 i think

• Advertisement

well sure take 5 then :)

I'll drop you a pm tomorrow about organising collection, off out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I'll take a few off you Cookie. Cheers.

Wize and cdb have some arrange so I'll hold for them until confirmed

All gone for now folks, if anyone doesn't end up taking what they asked for, or I find a load more I'll let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Next in line please if either of these fall through or if any more become available.

Baraboo wrote: »
    Next in line please if either of these fall through or if any more become available.

I will let you know, looks like there will be some surplus but they'll be really small
    Haven't heard from wize...

WIZE - you get my PM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I collected a few of these assassin snails from Cookie the other night. Popped them in the tank and watched in fascination as one found a victim within minutes and despite their small size got straight to work. There is no doubting their effectiveness or ability :D Thanks again Cookie.

i can call over on the weekend which ever day is good for you

WIZE wrote: »
    i can call over on the weekend which ever day is good for you

sat morning would suit, someone else is coming over then anyway.
    10.30-12.00 would be ideal

cool see you then

Baraboo wrote: »

I counted at least 23 today including smaller ones so You can certainly take some off me.

8 for another guy off i.f.f.
    5 for wize
    still another 10 or so

Thanks Cookie

Snails in their new home and settling down to lunch.

thanks for the snails cookie:)

I've counted 25+ this evening, 12 or so are a reasonable size and the rest still really small.

These things breed like rabbits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

i just read one article on them and i thought they were supposed to breed slowly...are they becoming a pest???

Ive 2 190L tanks, just read up on them and could be interested if you live close enough - Im out west dublin way, you anywhere close? If so, pls PM me.

Do they need to have sand as a substrate? Ive one sand cichlid tank and one gravel freshwater tank.

fungun wrote: »
    i just read one article on them and i thought they were supposed to breed slowly...are they becoming a pest???
    not a pest as such but I'm sure they're going to start dying if there's too many of them. Certainly aren't slow breeders or slow growers, there are some in there 1/3 size of the adults already.
    Ive 2 190L tanks, just read up on them and could be interested if you live close enough - Im out west dublin way, you anywhere close? If so, pls PM me.
    I'm in Cabinteely between M50 and N11
    Do they need to have sand as a substrate? Ive one sand cichlid tank and one gravel freshwater tank.
    I don't know if they absolutely need it to survive but they'll definitely be happier with it, they spend much of they day dung into the sand hiding and come out when it suits them.
    They're strictly snail of fish food eater, won't eat any plants

• Advertisement

Fish got a treat of tubflex last night, snails must like them cos as soon as they got a whiff of them floating around the tank they erupted outa the sand and were flying around the bottom.

I stopped counting at 50 :eek:
    15 or so are about 1/4 to 1/3 adult size, they rest a good deal smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

ok this thread would suggest they breed faster than i thought, so think first before buying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

fungun wrote: »
    ok this thread would suggest they breed faster than i thought, so think first before buying!!!

this thread is ancient. .

The information on it is still valid.

My Assasin snails died off I think when they had killed the last of the food source in the tank. I haven't seen any for months except the empty shells.

Advertisement