Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Trade-ins

• 25-03-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows if Smyths or GAME do console trade-ins. I'll be in Galway tomorrow and was wondering if either of these do trade-ins for consoles (Smyths do Game Trade-ins, at least they did, but unsure about consoles. I know GameStop do them).

If either of these do, which provides best prices? Game/GameStop/Smyths.

I was slightly unsure if it went in the Galway City forum or this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Console

Dont trade in your games, mate. They are all total rip offs.

I worked in Game, Dundrum for a brief stint in 2007. majority of there business was from pre-owned games. That was 4 years ago but they really ripped off people (as the others do) ... For example you could being in a ps2 game and they'd give you a euro for it then sell it for €19.99, some for even 29.99. Theres giving someone a deal and ripping them off.

Fast forward to 2011 and they are still at it. You could buy a brand new xbox 360 game. Play it for a few hours and trade it back in. They'll give you 20-25 euro (if you're lucky!) then sell it around 44.99 (usually 5 euro cheaper than a brand new copy :rolleyes:) .... One could say thats not the worst of deals. They are giving you 50% of its value. But if you have a game thats not the latest chart hit expect to be ripped off. Even games that are only 4 months old.

Sell them on adverts.ie - even if it takes a while to sell. You would be getting better prices that what any game, gamestop, smyths or xtra vision will ever give you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Console wrote: »
    Dont trade in your games, mate. They are all total rip offs.

I worked in Game, Dundrum for a brief stint in 2007. majority of there business was from pre-owned games. That was 4 years ago but they really ripped off people (as the others do) ... For example you could being in a ps2 game and they'd give you a euro for it then sell it for €19.99, some for even 29.99. Theres giving someone a deal and ripping them off.

Fast forward to 2011 and they are still at it. You could buy a brand new xbox 360 game. Play it for a few hours and trade it back in. They'll give you 20-25 euro (if you're lucky!) then sell it around 44.99 (usually 5 euro cheaper than a brand new copy :rolleyes:) .... One could say thats not the worst of deals. They are giving you 50% of its value. But if you have a game thats not the latest chart hit expect to be ripped off. Even games that are only 4 months old.

Sell them on adverts.ie - even if it takes a while to sell. You would be getting better prices that what any game, gamestop, smyths or xtra vision will ever give you.

OP is asking about consoles, not games......:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

whiterebel wrote: »
    OP is asking about consoles, not games......:confused:

Which is pretty funny considering his user name :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

nuxxx wrote: »
    Which is pretty funny considering his user name :pac:

Lol good spoting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Console wrote: »
    You could buy a brand new xbox 360 game. Play it for a few hours and trade it back in. They'll give you 20-25 euro (if you're lucky!) then sell it around 44.99 (usually 5 euro cheaper than a brand new copy :rolleyes:) .... One could say thats not the worst of deals. They are giving you 50% of its value. But if you have a game thats not the latest chart hit expect to be ripped off. Even games that are only 4 months old.

That's not even remotely true. I bought bulletstorm, and a week later got 35 plus 8 off crysis 2 for it. Bought Homefront, got 40 for it.....so 20-25 euro for a new release game a few hours old is some sort of bitter exaggeration on your part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Smyths take DSi,DSiXL and 3DS consoles on trade,they don't trade Xbox 360,PS2,PS3 or PSP consoles. Game don't give much and Gamestop give even less,HMV also trade consoles now,so try all three,HMV,Game and Gamestop,if you are stuck. If not sell on adverts as that is what it is there for. If you don't have all wires and original pads with the consoles you want to trade Game may not take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭R.F.

Bump

Does anyone know if any of the stores are still taking the old Xbox 360's (White - 20GB) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

R.F. wrote: »
    Bump

Does anyone know if any of the stores are still taking the old Xbox 360's (White - 20GB) ?

Better off selling it 2nd hand. The pittance they were offering even a year or two ago was pathetic, something like 15-20 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bump

Gamestop stoped taking those few years ago. Your best bet is adverts now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Adverts aint much better imo....since the site went all Ebay the offers are pathetic!
    I see alot of professional sellers/buyers.....i see stuff being bought for 2 Euro and being sold for 20 quid.

I recently saw a PS3 game/drawing tablet fs and yer man was asking 20 quid, he biught it new in gamestop for a tenner, i know because i bought the same tablet game thingy myself.

Every buyer/seller knows trade in prices....buys low and resells high.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

GAME is no longer there. I believe they've shut down their shops all over Ireland. So that'll narrow the list down a little bit if nothing else :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Bump

Might get a few people buying second hand consoles shortly just to play GTAV. I know im considering it!

Advertisement