Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon can baby heartbeat be heard on Doppler?

Options
  • 25-03-2011 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi Girls,

I had a check up at the doctor this morning and while I was there she used the Doppler to check for the babys heartbeat. She could not find the heartbeat. She said it was probably to early and not to worry. I was just wondering when she should be able to hear it??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭wal100

You can start to hear the babies heartbeat through ultrasound as soon as 6 weeks into your pregnancy! A doppler can start to pick up a heartbeat at around 10-14 weeks into your pregnancy.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

Thanks for that. I was looking on the internet and it is so varied in what different sites say. I was just wondering if anyone had personal experiences of when they heard the heartbeat through a doppler. Im 11 weeks now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

about 22 weeks this time about 12 last time.
    It depends on how the baby is lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

About 16 weeks for us. When the baby is so tiny, and has so much room to move around, they can be pretty nifty at swimming away from the doppler too.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

alde wrote: »
    Hi Girls,

I had a check up at the doctor this morning and while I was there she used the Doppler to check for the babys heartbeat. She could not find the heartbeat. She said it was probably to early and not to worry. I was just wondering when she should be able to hear it??

I feel your pain. I am 9+6 and mu doppler arrived this morning and i spent 2 hours before work trying to find the heartbeat.

My scan is not till mid April and i don't really have any symptoms anymore apart from a bit of tiredness and wanting lots of oranges :rolleyes:

How far along are you?

• Advertisement

Thanks im a little more reassured. I taught I would have been able to hear it by now, but maybe just to early. Im 11 weeks now and due in to holles st end of april for check in and my scan is early June. Its the not knowing or waiting around the kills u most!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

alde wrote: »
    Thanks im a little more reassured. I taught I would have been able to hear it by now, but maybe just to early. Im 11 weeks now and due in to holles st end of april for check in and my scan is early June. Its the not knowing or waiting around the kills u most!!

I was looking today and found that you can get a private scan for €95 in Dublin 2 http://www.euromedic.ie/euromediccentres/charlemontdirectionsandmaps.aspx

I would just love to get it done but funds are tight at the moment and other half is telling me it's only 2.5weeks till public scan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

My gp found heartbeat for me at 14weeks after a lot of trying, he said that it can be reallt difficult to find it before 18weeks. Best of luck with the pregnancies girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

My GP said the same as Astra, and at one stage she couldn't find the hearbeat when I was 21 weeks, but she wasn't worried at all (and neither was I cos I could feel baby moving!).

I know it's really stressful, especially between the time when your pregnancy symptoms seem to subside and you start to feel movement. From 12-18 weeks on both pregnancies I didn't feel "pregnant" anymore. But my doc said that using a doppler can cause even more stress when you can't find the HB. She said that often it's not even the heartbeat you find, it's actually your own heartbeat or the placenta! The placenta has a swishy sound that actually sounds more like a heartbeat than the actual heartbeat which sounds to be me like someone bashing two coconuts off eachother!

Thanks Girls, my gp wants to see me again in 3 weeks time. I feel alot more reassured having heard from your experiences. x

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

My wife was convinced the baby was gone during week 5 (first child, she had a lot of spotting, and before she could have a slim change of getting pregnant) and we had an ultrasound scan at week 6 (6 and 1 day) and we could see the heartbeat.
    Waiting even a few days is stressful!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2X1Nnc2ufA

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

What kind of doppler are you talking about?
    If it's the doctor's or hospital one, it's hit and miss depending on how baby is positioned and if he's moving or still.

If you are talking about the doppler that anybody can buy as a gadget, well I was very disappointed with the Lindam one I bought. Absolute rubbish. Never worked. Not at 6 weeks, not at 39 weeks. This is one of these cases where I decided to leave it to the professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Same as that my GP won't look for the heartbeat with the doppler until 18 weeks. She reckons it's too stressful on the mammies if she can't find it. ;)

Advertisement