Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU noise

Options
  • 25-03-2011 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I have a small problem at home, numerous power supplies, PC power supply, TV, Phone chargers etc. intermittently make a kind of whining noise. When I unplug them it get slightly louder and then dies off once I plug it back in it doesn't come back, It might happen tonight for example and then not again for a week or more. They don't all do it at the same time either? I'm not a sparks but am handy enough I'm thinking possibly a fleurescent light / Bad earth some thing along those lines. Also not sure if it makes any difference but I also have the place wired with Cat5E points & 12 month old UPS as well.

I'd be grateful if anyone can help shed any light on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I would guess that it's only one power supply you can hear. Many psu's will go into cycle skipping mode when there is no load on them. You often here this when you turn off your laptop, if the battery is charged the psu will start cycle skipping. My netgear network switch psu does the same when all ports are powered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭SC024

Thanks for your reply but its definitely more than one, phone charger its ever on our telly sometimes

I would guess that it's only one power supply you can hear. Many psu's will go into cycle skipping mode when there is no load on them. You often here this when you turn off your laptop, if the battery is charged the psu will start cycle skipping. My netgear network switch psu does the same when all ports are powered down.

Advertisement