Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old dog

• 25-03-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey, I'm getting a bit worried about my 14 y/o ruby KCC mix. He's getting on in his years and over the past few months he's getting quite skinny. He's always been super fit and the vet has been very impressed "He's in fabulous shape - apart from the heart murmur and epilepsy"

Because of his epilepsy his diet is slightly restricted - he can't eat artificial colours because they set him off. When we first bought him to the vet after he fitted he told us to feed him whatever we're eating, like scraps from dinner and the likes so that's what we've done ever since.

When I came home from college this weekend i noticed how frail and skinny he's getting compared to what he was like. Is there something I should be doing about the gradual weight loss? Is it a normal part of the aging process? What can I give him? He's already on cod liver oil and heart tablets....

Thanks a lot for any responses/advice

Ps attached a pic of the lil guy :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

I'd take him to the vet for a check up just in case. It could just be his age or it could be some other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

Ya i would def bring to vet and have him checked out just in case too!!! I feed my older boy Royal Canin they have a food especially for older dogs its great stuff and he loves it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

When I needed to put weight on my boy the vet told me to make casserole, water, brown rice, chicken thighs, carrots, peas, broccoli, etc. No stock or seasoning.
    Just remember to remove the bones before feeding it to the dog. Did help my boy, just added some to his food.
    AT his age I would check with vet, but it could just be he's not absorbing the food as well.
    Great age for a KC, hope you have a few more years with him, he looks so sweet.

Advertisement