Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCG or Accounting

• 25-03-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I just decided on my leaving cert subjects and one of my subjects is DCG, but i am not sure if it is the subject for me, i did it for J.C and i thought that it was ok. However for lc at is on a project with free hand drawing in it, I hate free hand drawing, so I decidied that I might move to accounnting, the teacher in my school that teaches accounting is the best teacher in the school and she get about 10 A1's every year in the class, she pushes you to the limit but I liked accounting in J.C, but what should I do? does anyone else not know the subjects they what to do.

S**t I wrote a lot:):):):):)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AlanBr

I know this is late but im finishing 5th year and i chose DCG along with physics and geo....LAST WEEK i escaped DCG and went to applied maths.
    in my opinion DCG is an awful subject....there is a project that takes months to do right up to and beyond your mocks and ****s up your studying completely...also the course is huge and by the time your finished the project you will most likely struggle to remember everything you've done in DCG beforehand.I also found it ok for the JC but i chose as i thought id be an engineer at the time which actually doesn't require DCG at all.

Its the exact same in my school the accounting teacher is great and i would HIGHLY recommend doing accounting...all my friends that do it say its simple.
    A lot of the course is based on the Trading,Profit,Loss & appropiation a/c you do at the JC and all you really need to know are the layouts to accounts.Overall i think you should definitely do accounting.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

there is a project that takes months to do right up to and beyond your mocks

The project deadline is before the mocks for most schools. If you put in the effort you can get that project done by Christmas.

Don't do DCG unless you did like Technical Graphics, because it is a progression of that. The bulk of freehand sketching is done in your project, so it isn't too bad in the sense that you get to practice at it. Nobody expects you to be an artist, just to be able to do neat sketches. I enjoy DCG, but that's only because I have the interest in Tech Graph. If you like Accounting you should perhaps consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Leaving Cert 2013

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

In my opinion DCG is the easiest subject in the leaving cert.
    You get to work on your project for ages, and its really easy to get full marks if you work on it from the beginning.
    If you have problem with free hand drawings just ask an art student to help you out. Or just print out and trace, which alot of people did and still got full marks(but I wouldn't advise tracing).
    The drawing exam is easy as pie if you just learn off like 2-3 main parts to each question. From there it's just connecting the dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

I did accounting for a year and a few months, and i stoped doing it as i hated it...Its the most boring subject you could pick in your leaving cert its nothing like JC business unless you really like doing the same thing over and over again, i regret not picking DCG in a first place...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 nightdream

im doing my leaving this year and i take both DCG and accounting,
    DCG i love it all the way but it would be hard if you are not good at visualising, however if you are good, then there is no problem in getting an A.
    Accounting, i hated it in 5th year because i didnt understand everything, i didnt do business for my JC therefore this is a complete new course for me, but after my mocks, i got one of those light bulb moments and everything just started to make sense...this subject needs a lot of practice and learning the formulas and layout...

it really is down to you, if you like drawing, then DCG might be the one for you, dont worry about the free hand drawing, you can cheat by tracing them. XD

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Lisandro

Do whichever you enjoy more; Design and Communications Graphics is difficult, but I found it very enjoyable when I did it. I do, however, have my issues with the course because it's not as purely spatially satisfying as the old course, which covered both theoretical concepts (such as the conic sections and three-dimensional conic functions) and practical applications. The new course tries too hard to say "we're doing this, and we're doing it because it's relevant, so here's an example."

The old course (when it was known as technical graphics) was very difficult, but more intuitive and geometrically satisfying; it would have been more appropriate to just make it less demanding rather than removing a lot of the more interesting aspects of the abstract theory.

Also, the design brief was very problematic for me, the chief examiner's report was issued after I handed my project up, which meant I lost a fair few marks for things I could have avoided had I been clear on what precisely they wanted from me in the project.

I didn't do accounting, but I've heard it's challenging but satisfying, just like design and communication graphics.

Advertisement