Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Courses

• 25-03-2011 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone knows any good French courses? I have been to Euro Languages and while I thought it was good I'm not sure if I want to go back.
    I was thinking of going to France during the Summer. Has anyone been on any courses? Can anyone recommend any?
    I'm 15 and going into 5th year in September. I know I have to do something for French this year but can only go in July or August. My only problem with say France would be that I find it hard to make new friends, I get shy and sort of anxious and I do get homesick but I'd really like to go but I only want to go if it's going to be good.
    Is 2 - 3 weeks long enough? I want to come back able to speak French but I'm not sure if the 2/3 week long courses are long enough. Any homestay courses?
    Thanks a million, I really appreciate any help!! :)
    Aoife :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Hey,

I went to France for 3 weeks at the end of TY with an exchange/homestay programme. It helped a huge amount, I never had any trouble with French for the Leaving and the oral was no worries. I do think it's much better than Eurolanguages etc (haven't gone to any, but went to the Gaeltacht a few times and my Irish didn't come on as well as my French at all) because you're surrounded by native speakers and they're not going to "cheat" and speak English y'know?

It was organised by a guy down in Skibbereen but I think he's stopped doing it since, I'll try to find out for you though if you want. Ask your French teacher maybe if they know of anyone, sometimes an older student in the school might have done it before?

Oh, and I went entirely on my own, didn't know any of the Irish students going either and was terrified...had a ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 LaLaLand101

Thanks for your reply and sorry it's taken me so long to reply, I've been wuite busy lately.

It's be great if you could find out about that man that organised it! I asked my teacher and she said she'd find out but that was around a month ago so I don't think she knows of anywhere.

How long should you go for? How much did your french improve by? Could you speak say fast (if you know what I mean) or fluently?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Similar apologies for lack of reply!

http://irishstudentexchange.com/ He is still doing it, there you go, all the info should be on that. It's kinda expensive but less than Eurolanguages I think. Also it says it's in June, but he might be able to recommend another one for July or August if it's not suitable.

I did the homestay one, so I only had 3 weeks with the family and the student. My French came on in leaps and bounds, I could talk pretty fast by the end, y'know, not like I do in English but I wasn't hesitating over every word either. The 3 weeks away should be enough I reckon, especially if you haven't done something like this before.

PM me if you want, so I'll actually notice it and not leave you waiting weeks for a reply! ;)

Advertisement