Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why do northern ireland wear green

• 25-03-2011 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭

if someone can clear this up for me and a few mates it would be a great help.We where talking about this and if you think about it theres no real reason why they do,the flag is the same as england with a red hand and crown,they are also british and fly that flag too and mainly protestant so why not orange:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Because they are the 'real' Irish football team (or so they say).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

second question why do italy wear blue :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Why do Germany wear white?

we figured its from the old imperial flag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

weren't the original irish jerseys blue in any case?

• Advertisement

no idea any pics?brb as i google this :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Someone must have told them not to wear green.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

if someone can clear this up for me and a few mates it would be a great help.We where talking about this and if you think about it theres no real reason why they do,the flag is the same as england with a red hand and crown,they are also british and fly that flag too and mainly protestant so why not orange:confused:

IFA predate the FAI.

IFA choose to wear Green back in the day. They haven't changed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Why do Holland wear orange?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Colour of the Dutch Royal family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They find it a-peeling?

apoch632 wrote: »
    IFA predate the FAI.

IFA choose to wear Green back in the day. They haven't changed since.

for what reason did they choose green though?the only thing i can think of is the old green flag with the harp but that was a republican flag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

My understanding of it is that the IFA were founded to represent the island as a whole and therefore chose green. Similar to the Irish cricket and rugby teams.

As with the Dutch the blue of Italy is the colour of the Royal family.

Have no idea why Germany wear white, opposite of those all black Nazi kits from back in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

we figured its from the old imperial flag

It was mainly white and black ;)

But they had green away shirts at some stage (1990s) and nobody knows why :D

Lars1916 wrote: »

tallaghtmick had one :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

They were the original Irish team that represented the whole island...suppose that's why they wore green from the start.
    Bit like how the rugby team have always wore green and they represent the whole island.

Why do they sing God Save the Queen...maybe that's a question for another day...so much for trying to be inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

They were awesome

I do!!!

1st team to play Germany after the war was Ireland and they adopted a geen away for the majority of time since then....boooya :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They were class,
    If I was buying a retro jersey it'd probably be one of those
    http://www.oldfootballshirts.com/en/teams/g/germany/old-germany-football-shirts-t271.html

Quite a few stylish options here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭ollaetta

I do!!!

1st team to play Germany after the war was Ireland and they adopted a geen away for the majority of time since then....boooya :D

Ah yeah, but to go back to the original topic whose green was it, ours or the North? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,447 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I do!!!

That is not true,
    It has to do with the traditional colours of the region Bonn, the capital of West Germany, is in.

I read it on the Gurdian website a few years back, will find the link another time as I am doing this from the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

That is not true,
    It has to do with the traditional colours of the region Bonn, the capital of West Germany, is in.

I read it on the Gurdian website a few years back, will find the link another time as I am doing this from the phone

I doubt it, Germany was playing in white long before Bonn became the Capital of (West) Germany ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

White is the closest they could get to silver, which is a traditional German colour*

*total guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Because they are Irish and green is the traditional colour thereof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Because azure is the colour of the house of Savoy - the royal family, if you will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

I do!!!

Why you lie?

http://www.dfb.de/index.php?id=500001&no_cache=1&action=showMatchesByYear&lang=D&liga=Nationalmannschaft&%20%20year=1950&cHash=82c07154a7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

Could be a YCV thing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

'cos when the DFB sprung into life in 1900 Prussia was the dominating state in the Reich. The Prussian king was automatically the German emperor. Prussias colours were White and Black.
    200px-Flag_of_Prussia_1892-1918.svg.png?uselang=als
    After that it was never changed for hysterical reasons.

I looked it up btw, had no idea myself.

Quiz question:
    More interestingly, why was the German away shirt Green until recently?
    It's got nothing to do with Germany playing Ireland at some stage, that just one of those unfounded myths. Green is simply the colour of the DFB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I thought Kyle Lafferty looked a bit uneasy wearing green alright when walking onto pitch tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

It's the colour of the House of Savoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

USA should wear Blood on theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Green and white army!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I can't believe people are still peddling that myth about Germany and the green jersey :rolleyes:

Anyway, yeah, the IFA is the "original" Football Association for Ireland, the FAI is the breakaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Patrick's_blue#cite_note-21
    The Ireland association football team organised by the Irish Football Association (IFA) wore St Patrick's blue jerseys from 1882 until 1931, when they switched to green.[22] The IFA team is now the Northern Ireland team. The Football Association of Ireland sent an Irish Free State team to the 1924 Olympic football tournament; it wore a St Patrick's Blue change strip against Bulgaria, whose strip was Ireland's usual green.[23]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

It doesnt matter what they wear, their ****e

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Because Ulster says No!...to other colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

papagormo wrote: »
    Because Ulster says No!...to other colours
    Haha! Yeah, "Ulster". Those phrases always give me a good chuckle.

I don't mind all that shit but what does bug me is calling Northern Ireland "Ulster", I'm from Ulster, but I'm not from NI. There's 9 counties, not only 6. Go figure.

Also, can anyone explain why Japan wear blue? Serious question. And if one of you idiots decide to turn that into an obvious joke I'll hunt you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

dan1895 wrote: »
    My understanding of it is that the IFA were founded to represent the island as a whole and therefore chose green. Similar to the Irish cricket and rugby teams.

So setting up the FAI was a step back so? maybe? well compared to the Rugby lads anyway, the rifts possibly grew and grew since the split.

Stoner wrote: »
    So setting up the FAI was a step back so? maybe? well compared to the Rugby lads anyway, the rifts possibly grew and grew since the split.

A step back in one sense, but considering the level of sectarianism in the IFA then (and indeed now) it may have been the best thing to do.

Nailz wrote: »

Also, can anyone explain why Japan wear blue? Serious question. And if one of you idiots decide to turn that into an obvious joke I'll hunt you down.

quick someone crack a joke......http://memberfiles.freewebs.com/01/39/39583901/photos/-Submit-Your-Own-Photos/arch%20is%20internet%20tough%20guy.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Ugh, I prefer not use that hateful rolleyes smiley, thank you very much.

It was meant as a semi-sarcastic rhetorical phrase as if to say "Don't make the obvious joke about it because it's not cool and it'll make you look like a douche". Why must I spell out stuff like this when people can simply use there brains to identify what I mean?

Ugh, I prefer not use that hateful rolleyes smiley, thank you very much.

It was meant as a semi-sarcastic rhetorical phrase as if to say "Don't make the obvious joke about it because it's not cool and it'll make you look like a douche". Why must I spell out stuff like this when people can simply use there brains to identify what I mean?

in the same way i have to spell out that i was using humour:confused:

A step back in one sense, but considering the level of sectarianism in the IFA then (and indeed now) it may have been the best thing to do.

The IFA as an organisation aint sectarian...with their Football For All Project they target people from all sides of the community...and from what I hear in the last 5 years or so they are doing an excellent job!!!
    It is a shame though that FAI are trying to disrupt that good work a bit by stealing our players!!! Players who have no family connections to the Republic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Paul4As wrote: »
    The IFA as an organisation aint sectarian...with their Football For All Project they target people from all sides of the community...and from what I hear in the last 5 years or so they are doing an excellent job!!!
    It is a shame though that FAI are trying to disrupt that good work a bit by stealing our players!!! Players who have no family connections to the Republic!!!

Family connections don't have to come into it in Northern Ireland as you can have either passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Haha! Yeah, "Ulster". Those phrases always give me a good chuckle.

I don't mind all that shit but what does bug me is calling Northern Ireland "Ulster", I'm from Ulster, but I'm not from NI. There's 9 counties, not only 6. Go figure.

I presume its something to do with the royal family or something traditional

Fair enough, maybe they've changed things around recently. But I remember as a kid growing up in Donegal going to a few school football events in NI and being told not to say where we from, so you might forgive my bias. We were never made to feel welcome playing in NI (late 90s mind).

Yeah, but then isn't international football supposed to be about national pride and patriotism? Would you really rather have players who don't identify with your country forced to play for ye?

I think that having God Save the Queen as the national anthem is a something that alienates the Nationalist community.
    If the IFA were serious about inclusion and their "Football for All" project then perhaps having an anthem that is so associated with one side of the divide is something to look at.

http://www.u.tv/articles/article.aspx?cat=Sport&guid=2290938e-0fe0-4ed7-8a26-cf0639432abc

The link above is from 2006 where the IFA tried to make all players that represented the North carry British passports when playing abroad...hardy the work of an organisation who are trying their up-most to include both communities.

Hardly surprising when players choose to play for the Republic then when IFA are making it tough for players who are from the Nationalist/Catholic/ whatever you want to call it community to feel any connection with the Northern Ireland football team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Colour of the Italian royal family I think - or somethink like that.

I think that having God Save the Queen as the national anthem is a something that alienates the Nationalist community.
    If the IFA were serious about inclusion and their "Football for All" project then perhaps having an anthem that is so associated with one side of the divide is something to look at.

http://www.u.tv/articles/article.aspx?cat=Sport&guid=2290938e-0fe0-4ed7-8a26-cf0639432abc

The link above is from 2006 where the IFA tried to make all players that represented the North carry British passports when playing abroad...hardy the work of an organisation who are trying their up-most to include both communities.

Hardly surprising when players choose to play for the Republic then when IFA are making it tough for players who are from the Nationalist/Catholic/ whatever you want to call it community to feel any connection with the Northern Ireland football team.

I think you will find if you read the FIFA article from UTV it was FIFA and not the Irish FA who were attempting to make all Northern Ireland players carry British passports! Thankfully this is not what happens though!!! Northern Ireland welcome both Irish and British passport holders to play for us!!!
    As for the Irish FA making it tough for catholics to play for Northern Ireland...you're having a laugh with that statement!!! :D I don't really care about the religion of the players of the current Northern Ireland, but I'd guess a few players with Irish passports play for us!!! They all get the same support from the IFA and supporters!
    I would be one for having a separate Northern Ireland fooball anthem...and maybe when games are played in Belfast both God Save the Queen and this new anthem played...similar to what they do in Dublin for rugby...where they play the Irish national anthem and then Ireland's Calling which was to make Ulster's protestant players feel more inclusive. That would be a start!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭partyndbs

USA should wear Blood on theirs

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement