Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why do northern ireland wear green

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

I thought Kyle Lafferty looked a bit uneasy wearing green alright when walking onto pitch tonight!

Nothing to do with the green Jerry, you try and walk(dive) around with your head up your ar*e for the last 3 years and im sure you'll look a little uneasy too ;)

Paul4As wrote: »
    As for the Irish FA making it tough for catholics to play for Northern Ireland...you're having a laugh with that statement!!! :D I don't really care about the religion of the players of the current Northern Ireland, but I'd guess a few players with Irish passports play for us!!! They all get the same support from the IFA and supporters!

Just as long as they dont captain Celtic at the same time, right?? You say you dont care about their religion, well ok we only have your word on this but what do you think of the way Neil Lennon and he's father were treated, do you condone what happened, I certainly didnt hear any outcry from the IFA or he's protestant team mates at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

I do!!!

1st team to play Germany after the war was Ireland and they adopted a geen away for the majority of time since then....boooya :D

I am lead to believe that is an urban myth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Just as long as they dont captain Celtic at the same time, right?? You say you dont care about their religion, well ok we only have your word on this but what do you think of the way Neil Lennon and he's father were treated, do you condone what happened, I certainly didnt hear any outcry from the IFA or he's protestant team mates at the time.

The Neil Lennon incident was 10 years ago...learn from that and move on!!! Which the IFA and the Green and White Army have done!!!
    Great to see chants for Pat McCourt to come on last night at the Slovenia game at Windsor...and he was brought on...even though there was only about 10 minutes ago!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

The Neil Lennon incident was 10 years ago...learn from that and move on!!! Which the IFA and the Green and White Army have done!!!
    Great to see chants for Pat McCourt to come on last night at the Slovenia game at Windsor...and he was brought on...even though there was only about 10 minutes ago!!!

You forget about the bombs that was was sent to Paddy, Neil and Nial McGinn recently. Maybe they don't count. According to the postal service and cops they where sent from the North. Coincidence that all three are associated with Celtic??? Only reason they were chanting for Paddy was they were on their knees and needed a result. IMHO Mc Court is their best player by a mile, yet doesn't get a kick. If he played for you know who, would he be on the bench.....

It was August 2002, but anyway what has when it was got to do with anything, is there a staute of limitations on bigotry and sectarianism?? Do you think the IFA would ever offer him the managers job, like fcuk they would.

Re. Paddy McCourt as cardwizzard alluded to, giving him 10 minutes on a team that contained Corry Evans, Baird, Clingan, and McCann is shocking tbf.

You forget about the bombs that was was sent to Paddy, Neil and Nial McGinn recently. Maybe they don't count. According to the postal service and cops they where sent from the North. Coincidence that all three are associated with Celtic??? Only reason they were chanting for Paddy was they were on their knees and needed a result. IMHO Mc Court is their best player by a mile, yet doesn't get a kick. If he played for you know who, would he be on the bench.....

The IFA or the Northern Ireland football society have no control over individuals or small groups who are behind threats or bombs! What have the perpetrators of the bombs got to do with Northern Irish football??? Am I missing something???
    The crowd were chanting for Paddy because they know he is one of our most creative players...and we needed a goal!
    Once again...the Green and White Army do not care where their players come from or what team they play for!!! Evidence was in their support for Paddy last night!!! :D..."One Pat McCourt...there's only One Pat McCourt...one Pat McCourt!!!"

It was August 2002, but anyway what has when it was got to do with anything, is there a staute of limitations on bigotry and sectarianism?? Do you think the IFA would ever offer him the managers job, like fcuk they would.

Re. Paddy McCourt as cardwizzard alluded to, giving him 10 minutes on a team that contained Corry Evans, Baird, Clingan, and McCann is shocking tbf.

May be Lennon might consider a job offer from the IFA after these comments in 2007:

http://www.community-relations.org.uk/about-us/news/item/95/football-for-all-awards/

Get over the Lennon incident people...Celtic players are now embraced by Norn Iron supporters!!! I know some of you find that hard to accept!!! :)

As for team selections...that is something for Nigel Worthington...the fans have different opinions on who should be playing!!! Hence the chanting for Paddy!!!

4 points from 6 from Slovenia is not bad considering they were at the World Cup just past...and they dumped Russia out of the play-offs to get there!!!

Get over the Lennon incident people...Celtic players are now embraced by Norn Iron supporters!!! I know some of you find that hard to accept!!! :)

No, you said initially that the claim that it was made difficult for Catholics to play for Northern Ireland was laughable, I gave you an example of a Catholic captain of Northern Ireland with over 40 caps who was hounded out of the team, but now your arguement is that because that was 8 years ago its irrelevant and we need to move on, lol.

And who exactly do you claim has been sending bullets and nail bombs to Pat McCourt, Niall McGinn and Neil Lennon??

• Advertisement

The IFA or the Northern Ireland football society have no control over individuals or small groups who are behind threats or bombs! What have the perpetrators of the bombs got to do with Northern Irish football??? Am I missing something???
    The crowd were chanting for Paddy because they know he is one of our most creative players...and we needed a goal!
    Once again...the Green and White Army do not care where their players come from or what team they play for!!! Evidence was in their support for Paddy last night!!! :D..."One Pat McCourt...there's only One Pat McCourt...one Pat McCourt!!!"

Paul you are right and wrong. Like it or not the sectarian element of the Norths fans are there. You may not be bitter and twisted but to choose to ignore it and say alls well by glossing over it won't fix it.

I fully expect trouble when the North play in the Aviva in May. However this could be a real chance for you and your fans to demonstrate this 'change' that has happened.

Paul you are right and wrong. Like it or not the sectarian element of the Norths fans are there. You may not be bitter and twisted but to choose to ignore it and say alls well by glossing over it won't fix it.

I fully expect trouble when the North play in the Aviva in May. However this could be a real chance for you and your fans to demonstrate this 'change' that has happened.

Sectarianism is still present in Northern Ireland on both sides...catholic and protestants...in a minority of those who support Northern Ireland and also in a minority of those from Northern Ireland who support the Republic!!!

It is also present south of the border as well!!!

I think scrutiny will fall on both sets of fans at the Aviva in May...I am not making the trip...preferring to watch it on Sky. I wouldn't be too sure of my safety travelling down and in Dublin (even though I live in Mayo)...due to what may happen if a handful of Republic or Norn Iron fans try to start something. Let's hope the football does the talking on the field however!

No, you said initially that the claim that it was made difficult for Catholics to play for Northern Ireland was laughable, I gave you an example of a Catholic captain of Northern Ireland with over 40 caps who was hounded out of the team, but now your arguement is that because that was 8 years ago its irrelevant and we need to move on, lol.

And who exactly do you claim has been sending bullets and nail bombs to Pat McCourt, Niall McGinn and Neil Lennon??

There was a thread about the bullets and bombs on this forum and Neil Lennon...I think this thread is getting side-tracked!!!

Move on...as Lawrie Sanchez said once..."Onwards and upwards!!!"

There was a thread about the bullets and bombs on this forum and Neil Lennon...I think this thread is getting side-tracked!!!

Move on...as Lawrie Sanchez said once..."Onwards and upwards!!!"

Classic diversion, fair enough you dont have the answer, or at least one your willing to stand by, so we'll ignore it :rolleyes:

I realise this may sound bias which I probably am. I don't think Irelands fans have any reason to feel under scrunity going on our past record. However the North and their fans may have.

The fact that you have made a judgement not to go to the game, only makes my point clearer. Afraid of your own safety, highlights my opinion that they will bring trouble with them. However I hope i'm proved wrong.

Have a read at this, he puts it the way most of 'us' sees it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-mcnally/Why-the-talent-drain-to-the-Republic-shows-Northern-Ireland-are-still-paying-the-price-for-abuse-dished-out-to-Neil-Lennon-The-Brian-McNally-Column-article344981.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Seeing as they play in different positions I don't see the argument there :confused:

• Advertisement

gustavo wrote: »
    Seeing as they play in different positions I don't see the argument there :confused:

No Davis, Lafferty or Healy all out and he still couldn't get a kick. What about Brunt, or Mc Cann. Mc Cann isn't really a wide player but they started him.?????:eek::eek::eek:

I think you will find if you read the FIFA article from UTV it was FIFA and not the Irish FA who were attempting to make all Northern Ireland players carry British passports! Thankfully this is not what happens though!!! Northern Ireland welcome both Irish and British passport holders to play for us!!!
    As for the Irish FA making it tough for catholics to play for Northern Ireland...you're having a laugh with that statement!!! :D I don't really care about the religion of the players of the current Northern Ireland, but I'd guess a few players with Irish passports play for us!!! They all get the same support from the IFA and supporters!
    I would be one for having a separate Northern Ireland fooball anthem...and maybe when games are played in Belfast both God Save the Queen and this new anthem played...similar to what they do in Dublin for rugby...where they play the Irish national anthem and then Ireland's Calling which was to make Ulster's protestant players feel more inclusive. That would be a start!

Read this. Good old Howard Wells.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4851410.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,522 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Whatever about their shirt colour - I have nothing but admiration for the results the North have consistently achieved over the last number of years with only a fraction of our talent (in my opinion).

The first of the results out of them Scotland and Wales I look for when qualifiers are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

for what reason did they choose green though?the only thing i can think of is the old green flag with the harp but that was a republican flag

The green flag with a harp is the flag of Leinster
    Nailz wrote: »
    I don't mind all that shit but what does bug me is calling Northern Ireland "Ulster", I'm from Ulster, but I'm not from NI. There's 9 counties, not only 6. Go figure.

Its only unionists the refer to NI as Ulster, republicans generally refer to it as "the north of Ireland".
    The IFA as an organisation aint sectarian...with their Football For All Project they target people from all sides of the community...and from what I hear in the last 5 years or so they are doing an excellent job!!!
    It is a shame though that FAI are trying to disrupt that good work a bit by stealing our players!!! Players who have no family connections to the Republic!!!

IFA might not be secterian but some of their fans are, and nearly 50% of their population feel no connection towards their team. They play GSTQ as their anthem and the union flag is flown so why would nationalists or people from within that community subject themselves to it. When you see the level of abuse Neil Lennon has received its hardly going to entice you to play for them. Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and Marc Wilson took advantage of the GFA's right to self determination and FIFA can't reverse this trend.
    Anyway like the rugby team we should have one Ireland football team. We are ranked 32 and the North 40, yet we havent qualified for a tournament since 2002 and the North since 1986.
    A compromise would obviously have to be found on the flag and anthem but this is sport not politics, if having one team could get us to more tournaments then i'm all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Not that either Irish barstool army would know, but football fans from Northern Ireland have been travelling here for several years for the Setanta cup without incident. Linfield have hosted clubs from the south in their social club several times.

• Advertisement

CiaranC wrote: »
    Not that either Irish barstool army would know, but football fans from Northern Ireland have been travelling here for several years for the Setanta cup without incident. Linfield have hosted clubs from the south in their social club several times.

Well we will see the change they bring when they play the Aviva then won't we Ciaran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Well we will see the change they bring when they play the Aviva then won't we Ciaran.

What exactly are you expecting? NI fans to throw roses at you?

Btw, when is the last time NI fans caused trouble in Dublin?

What exactly are you expecting? NI fans to throw roses at you?

Last time they where here few months ago. Try this thing called google or just your memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Scotland game?

Shels and Pats games spring to mind.

Pretty sure it was all blamed on rovers fans in the end though, the usual.

This phrase always amuses me, tell me do LOI fans not drink? Or do they just sit on the floor??

Oh I follow a LOI club, I'm a real fan not like them crowd :rolleyes: pathethic really, would you like salt with that Chip on your shoulder ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I've always thought Slovenia could markedly improve their fortunes if they changed their jersey to yellow & black.

This phrase always amuses me, tell me do LOI fans not drink? Or do they just sit on the floor??

While I called Ciaran out on what he said, this is possibly the most rediculous rebuttle ever.

It has nothing to do with drinking, it is the fact that people who dont watch LoI games would have to watch any and all of their teams games 1000km away in a bar...on a stool. It was coined a while ago ;)

Perhaps look things up before you decide to post :)

Good old Howard Wells got the sack a few years ago...did you not know??? You seem to know everything else about Northern Ireland's football team!!! :D
    When was the last time you saw one of our games at Windsor by the way???

You seem very sure that Northern Ireland fans will bring trouble to Dublin...may be you should liaise with the Garda and give them an insight in to where the fights or scuffles are likely to occur...may be you can act as a spotter for them!!! :)

Dotsey wrote: »
    The green flag with a harp is the flag of Leinster

Its only unionists the refer to NI as Ulster, republicans generally refer to it as "the north of Ireland".

IFA might not be secterian but some of their fans are, and nearly 50% of their population feel no connection towards their team. They play GSTQ as their anthem and the union flag is flown so why would nationalists or people from within that community subject themselves to it. When you see the level of abuse Neil Lennon has received its hardly going to entice you to play for them. Darron Gibson, Shane Duffy and Marc Wilson took advantage of the GFA's right to self determination and FIFA can't reverse this trend.
    Anyway like the rugby team we should have one Ireland football team. We are ranked 32 and the North 40, yet we havent qualified for a tournament since 2002 and the North since 1986.
    A compromise would obviously have to be found on the flag and anthem but this is sport not politics, if having one team could get us to more tournaments then i'm all for it.

Some Northern Ireland fans are sectarian...some Republic of Ireland fans are as well...it is a fact we all know.

God Save The Queen is the national anthem of Northern Ireland...has been for years...though I and many others would prefer a different footballing anthem...like Scotland and Wales have.

As for the flying of the Union Jack...it is not flown by the IFA...they fly the Red Hand of Ulster or the IFA emblem. A few supporters bring the Union Jack...which I don't see the point of.

Once again Neil Lennon is brought up (10 years ago)...I will bring up Pat McCourt (present day)...good to see the coverage on UTV and BBC of the chanting of Pat's name at the match at Windsor lastnight...big positive in the face of dropping 2 points!!!

You mention Darron Gibson., Marc Wilson and Shane Duffy...did any of them ever say the reason they chose the Republic was because they were subjected to sectarian abuse from the IFA or Northern Ireland supporters??? I don't think they were and I hope they weren't!!! It was probably more because of the area they were brought up in and the team who they and their mates supported...which was the Republic!!! It is very simple conclusion to come to!!! May be they were also afraid of the reaction of neighbours to their family if they had chosen to play for Northern Ireland when they could have chosen the Republic???

As for a united Ireland team...as a Northern Ireland supporter I don't want it...the organisation would be run by Dublin and all games played in Dublin like the rugby...I'm proud of OurWeeCountry's team and wish to watch games in Belfast!!!

Getting back to the original thread!!! GREEN AND WHITE ARMY!!!

• Advertisement

Sectarianism is still present in Northern Ireland on both sides...catholic and protestants...in a minority of those who support Northern Ireland and also in a minority of those from Northern Ireland who support the Republic!!!

It is also present south of the border as well!!!

I think scrutiny will fall on both sets of fans at the Aviva in May...I am not making the trip...preferring to watch it on Sky. I wouldn't be too sure of my safety travelling down and in Dublin (even though I live in Mayo)...due to what may happen if a handful of Republic or Norn Iron fans try to start something. Let's hope the football does the talking on the field however!

Egh???

Ebbs wrote: »
    While I called Ciaran out on what he said, this is possibly the most rediculous rebuttle ever.

It has nothing to do with drinking, it is the fact that people who dont watch LoI games would have to watch any and all of their teams games 1000km away in a bar...on a stool. It was coined a while ago ;)

Perhaps look things up before you decide to post :)

Im fully aware of where the term originated, have you ever heard of sarcasm? And it doesnt alter the fact its childish and redic. oh and obv. geography not ur strong point..... a 1000km away lol, who are these teams pre tell??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

I'd feel far safer goin till a Republic match in Dublin than a NI match in Belfast even though Windsor is like about 10 miles away. Ain't seen a match recently like but with GSTQ and Union Jacks flyin and hell knows wat loyalist songs think I'd pass like a number of the population up north.

Can't say I've heard anything bad or secterian from Republic games and would be a actual fun day out instead :) seems doesn't matter who the hell ya are tbh.

& Jersey Colours ...... Ireland so green i say :D Shouldnt matter what side of the border and the island as a whole would prob benefit if was a all Ireland team imo.

Im fully aware of where the term originated, have you ever heard of sarcasm? And it doesnt alter the fact its childish and redic. oh and obv. geography not ur strong point..... a 1000km away lol, who are these teams pre tell??

Sarcasm on the internet works super, especially in such an obvious way in which you phrased it.

Dublin to london is 400km, dublin to madrid is 1500, Dublin to Berlin is 1300km, Dublin to rome is 2000km other places in ireland to the uk exceed 600.

Once again, research is your friend.

Berns wrote: »
    I'd feel far safer goin till a Republic match in Dublin than a NI match in Belfast even though Windsor is like about 10 miles away. Ain't seen a match recently like but with GSTQ and Union Jacks flyin and hell knows wat loyalist songs think I'd pass like a number of the population up north.

Can't say I've heard anything bad or secterian from Republic games and would be a actual fun day out instead :) seems doesn't matter who the hell ya are tbh.

The only song you would hear at a Northern Ireland match which would make you feel uncomfortable would be God Save The Queen (which is not sectarian, though can divide perhaps)...no other controversial songs are sung...well audible to me in the North Stand. I wouldn't go if sectarian songs were sung!!!

The Union Jack is brought by a few supporters...I don't see its relevance in being there!!! There is a Donegal banner!!! I should get myself a Mayo one made!!!

As for Republic games being fun days out...I would say Northern Ireland match days beat it hands down!!! We may have a wreck of a stadium...but we can fill it!!! :)...and we probably make 4 times as much noise as the Aviva's crowd!!!

[QUOTE=Paul4As;71439123

You mention Darron Gibson., Marc Wilson and Shane Duffy...did any of them ever say the reason they chose the Republic was because they were subjected to sectarian abuse from the IFA or Northern Ireland supporters??? I don't think they were and I hope they weren't!!! It was probably more because of the area they were brought up in and the team who they and their mates supported...which was the Republic!!! It is very simple conclusion to come to!!! May be they were also afraid of the reaction of neighbours to their family if they had chosen to play for Northern Ireland when they could have chosen the Republic???

Did you not read this. Maybe try and read it.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-mcnally/Why-the-talent-drain-to-the-Republic-shows-Northern-Ireland-are-still-paying-the-price-for-abuse-dished-out-to-Neil-Lennon-The-Brian-McNally-Column-article344981.html

[QUOTE=Paul4As;71439123

Did you not read this. Maybe try and read it.

I don't think we have any direct quotes from Darron, Marc or Shane in that article??? Just an opinion from a journalist on an incident from 10 years ago!
    Try again please.

Well if you dismiss an article like that with such arrogance I believe that you will never understand. This is why these players feel ailenated and do consider themselves Irish and not from the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Regarding the match in Dublin there was a thread about violence afterwards on here, could have been the match one or a separate one set up. Turned out it was completely over hyped.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Well if you dismiss an article like that with such arrogance I believe that you will never understand. This is why these players feel ailenated and do consider themselves Irish and not from the North.

I wonder how Martin O'Neill, Pat Jennings, Mal Donaghy, Gerry Taggart and Gerry Armstrong got on when they lined out?

Feel free to correct me but those braindead loyalist thickos who follow the Northern Ireland team have an issue with their players lining out for Celtic as opposed to them merely being Catholics.

Probably something similiar to some ROI fans and their attitude to Rangers players.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I wonder how Martin O'Neill, Pat Jennings, Mal Donaghy, Gerry Taggart and Gerry Armstrong got on when they lined out?

Feel free to correct me but those braindead loyalist thickos who follow the Northern Ireland team have an issue with their players lining out for Celtic as opposed to them merely being Catholics.

Probably something similiar to some ROI fans and their attitude to Rangers players.

And how many of them players have played after Mr lennon played?? No doubt they played with pride and enjoyed it. However as i'm sure you are aware a bitter sectarian crowd entered the Norths 'fans' in the mid 80's, with results they are still dealing with.

As regards your brain deads, yeah the reason is that they do play for Celtic, and happen to be from the North and are Catholics, so can you see a trend here??????

And no it's not something similar attitudes. Most fans here couldn't tell the Norths players who play for Scotlands Shame.

Ebbs wrote: »
    Sarcasm on the internet works super, especially in such an obvious way in which you phrased it.

Dublin to london is 400km, dublin to madrid is 1500, Dublin to Berlin is 1300km, Dublin to rome is 2000km other places in ireland to the uk exceed 600.

Once again, research is your friend.

Yes but Ebbs, you know full well that that term is used to describe Irish people who support football teams in the EPL and SPL and none of these are over 100km away, you know it takes a better man/woman to admit they made a fcuk up ;) Unless where you come from there are hordes of Real, Hertha, and Roma fans :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

And how many of them players have played after Mr lennon played?? No doubt they played with pride and enjoyed it. However as i'm sure you are aware a bitter sectarian crowd entered the Norths 'fans' in the mid 80's, with results they are still dealing with.

As regards your brain deads, yeah the reason is that they do play for Celtic, and happen to be from the North and are Catholics, so can you see a trend here??????

And no it's not something similar attitudes. Most fans here couldn't tell the Norths players who play for Scotlands Shame.

LOL at Scotlands shame you come over as a bitter person

You probably think booing players when they are on International duty against the R.O.I. purely because they are Rangers players is just for the craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Since the latest ruling Republic of Ireland is now effectively an all Ireland team.

I would never criticise a nationalist for playing for the republic, like FFS they don't see themselves as British or Northern Irish so the anthem and flag are gonna put them off. As well as the minority of scumbag fans who will automatically hate them.

None of that bullsh*t playing for the republic who are also usually a better side.

Though the issue needs to be addressed. It isn't fair that the IFA invest money in developing players and then lose them to the ROI. Perhaps some sort of semi-merge is in order for the organisations. IE both would contribute to local clubs and League of Ireland/Irish league also merge into one, but still keep the two international sides.

Since the latest ruling Republic of Ireland is now effectively an all Ireland team.

I would never criticise a nationalist for playing for the republic, like FFS they don't see themselves as British or Northern Irish so the anthem and flag are gonna put them off. As well as the minority of scumbag fans who will automatically hate them.

None of that bullsh*t playing for the republic who are also usually a better side.

Though the issue needs to be addressed. It isn't fair that the IFA invest money in developing players and then lose them to the ROI. Perhaps some sort of semi-merge is in order for the organisations. IE both would contribute to local clubs and League of Ireland/Irish league also merge into one, but still keep the two international sides.

What you are more or less saying is that due to the ruling that anyone in Northern Ireland who has an Irish passport can play for the Republic we literally may end up with an all protestant Northern Ireland football team player wise.
    That is very scary for Northern Ireland as a whole...sport often builds bridges here...but possibly separating kids and teenagers because they are different religions...it very sad.
    Thankfully the IFA run schemes in all areas of Northern Ireland and coach all kids no matter what religion they are!!!
    FAI on the other hand are only focusing in on catholics to play for them.
    Need I say anymore!

As for the Republic being the better side...did you watch the Macedonia game...you are as bad as us!!! :)

Regarding semi-merging of the two associations...would you semi-merge with someone who was "stealing" from you??? I know I wouldn't. Northern Ireland have a gentleman's agreement with Scotland, Wales and England not to poach each other's homegrown talent (players in these countries all can get British passports)...it is a shame the Republic don't abide by that same gesture regarding Irish passport holders from Northen Ireland.

BUT...saying that...us Northern Ireland supporters only want committed players!!! We have committed players at the minute which enables us to punch well above our weight!!!

We just need Lawrie Sanchez to come back to add that final touch!!!

• Advertisement

LOL at Scotlands shame you come over as a bitter person

You probably think booing players when they are on International duty against the R.O.I. purely because they are Rangers players is just for the craic

Yeah at times I can be a bitter person. At least I have the stones to admit it.

I've never booed a player who has played for them against Ireland. Why would I??

What you are more or less saying is that due to the ruling that anyone in Northern Ireland who has an Irish passport can play for the Republic we literally may end up with an all protestant Northern Ireland football team player wise.
    That is very scary for Northern Ireland as a whole...sport often builds bridges here...but possibly separating kids and teenagers because they are different religions...it very sad.
    Thankfully the IFA run schemes in all areas of Northern Ireland and coach all kids no matter what religion they are!!!
    FAI on the other hand are only focusing in on catholics to play for them.
    Need I say anymore!

As for the Republic being the better side...did you watch the Macedonia game...you are as bad as us!!! :)

Regarding semi-merging of the two associations...would you semi-merge with someone who was "stealing" from you??? I know I wouldn't. Northern Ireland have a gentleman's agreement with Scotland, Wales and England not to poach each other's homegrown talent (players in these countries all can get British passports)...it is a shame the Republic don't abide by that same gesture regarding Irish passport holders from Northen Ireland.

BUT...saying that...us Northern Ireland supporters only want committed players!!! We have committed players at the minute which enables us to punch well above our weight!!!

We just need Lawrie Sanchez to come back!!!

It's called their right, I understand some of your persuasion don't want to give that right, but they have it.

I've never booed a player who has played for them against Ireland. Why would I??

However a certain Polish goalkeeper got dogs abuse in that dump that is windsor Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

However a certain Polish goalkeeper got dogs abuse in that dump that is windsor Park.

So your proud that your bitter you have my sympathy
    You may not have but many did I stopped going to Ireland matches because of it

So your proud that your bitter you have my sympathy
    You may not have but many did I stopped going to Ireland matches because of it

I never said I was proud, just told you the truth AT TIMES I can be. Are you perfect??

Never answered what I said about our friend in windsor. Did you forget???

Hows Boris and Roxi??

• Advertisement
Advertisement