Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

why do northern ireland wear green

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I never said I was proud, just told you the truth AT TIMES I can be. Are you perfect??

Never answered what I said about our friend in windsor. Did you forget???

Hows Boris and Roxi??

Not really much I can say about what Boruc and what happened at Windsor Park singling him out because of who he plays for is wrong but I am not a NI fan so therefore not responsible for their actions

Well I am not a bitter person though I do have my faults

Boris and Roxi are fine thanks for asking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Paul4As wrote: »
    Regarding semi-merging of the two associations...would you semi-merge with someone who was "stealing" from you??? I know I wouldn't. Northern Ireland have a gentleman's agreement with Scotland, Wales and England not to poach each other's homegrown talent (players in these countries all can get British passports)...it is a shame the Republic don't abide by that same gesture regarding Irish passport holders from Northen Ireland.

They're not stealing your players. The players consider themselves Irish, not Northern Irish. I wonder will you ever understand this.

The agreement between the UK teams is a completely different situation. Northern Ireland contains two different communities and the people see their nationality in completely different ways. It is a unique political situation and there are legal rights set up to protect that.
    BUT...saying that...us Northern Ireland supporters only want committed players!!!

Cool then you won't want the likes of Gibson et al. They would clearly prefer to play for the Republic. Is there any hope that you will stop moaning about it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭Paul4As

Pro. F wrote: »
    They're not stealing your players. The players consider themselves Irish, not Northern Irish. I wonder will you ever understand this.

The agreement between the UK teams is a completely different situation. Northern Ireland contains two different communities and the people see their nationality in completely different ways. It is a unique political situation and there are legal rights set up to protect that.

Cool then you won't want the likes of Gibson et al. They would clearly prefer to play for the Republic. Is there any hope that you will stop moaning about it now?

Have you not been reading my posts??? :eek: I do not object to people in Northern Ireland considering themselves Irish or British...that is the good thing about the Good Friday Agreement...people can be whatever they wish to be!! I do object to politics and a political decision entering in to sports however!!!

I don't see a difference between countries within the UK having a gentleman's agreement and the Republic having one with Northern Ireland...we are all different countries....and as different countries we compete in qualifiers...very good logic!!! I also thought the idea of the GFA was to build bridges between the Republic and Northern Ireland...and that includes through sports...I have to smile!!! :)

I understand Gibson left the Northern Ireland ranks after a fall-out with IFA over him attending Man U trials...perfectly entitled to that choice!!! As a Man U supporter myself I don't rate him...he's average only because he has a decent shot on him!!!

By the way...the eligibility issue only came in to discussion over posters on here saying Gibson and Co. chose the Republic over Northern Ireland due to sectarian abuse by Northern Ireland supporters...I have yet to find evidence of that...can you find any evidence Pro me ol' mucker??? :)

However a certain Polish goalkeeper got dogs abuse in that dump that is windsor Park.

I boo-ed Arthur Boruc that great day...I also sang along with the Northern Ireland supporters "Arthur Boruc...Ulster's No.1"...after the let a pass back bounce over his foot!!! It was hilarious!!!
    We boo-ed Beckham when he came to Windsor...Rooney as well...Vidic...Ronaldo...they are the opposition of course...do you want us to cheer when they score a goal??? :confused:
    Beckham actually clapped our support after he left the pitch following England's 1-0 defeat!!!
    The ex-Celtic player Craig Bellamy praises our fans...and wishes he had the same support from Welsh fans!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1166223/Wales-skipper-Bellamy-Northern-Irish-turn-green-envy.html

Bellamy spends a large chunk of his time away from the game studying opponents and tactics. And Northern Ireland’s defeat of Poland did not go unnoticed.

‘When you watch them it hurts,’ he said. ‘Of course it does. When you see the atmosphere they generate, you want to be a part of that. At Windsor Park, the pitch may be terrible and the changing rooms awful, but the crowd are fantastic.

‘You can see the players respond to it. And, as a player, I’m envious. I think they were
    voted the best supporters in Europe. At the moment, our opposition must think how nice it is playing against us. It’s a nice stadium, nice city, there’s no atmosphere and so they aren’t put under any pressure.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Just because they haven't being affected directly doesn't mean they havent being affected. Is this possible? Again read this for a Catholic view. Try and embrace it.

Plus I say you sang a lot worse than that.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/brian-mcnally/Why-the-talent-drain-to-the-Republic-shows-Northern-Ireland-are-still-paying-the-price-for-abuse-dished-out-to-Neil-Lennon-The-Brian-McNally-Column-article344981.html

Back to the original topic of the thread...Green and White Army!!!

On that note I am out of this thread...hopefully some of the posters in this thread will enjoy the experience of the visit of the sea of green and white from Northern Ireland in May...should be a great sight seeing your Aviva stadium full for once!!! :P I'm only messing with that wise-crack!!! :)

Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

My interest has been tweaked by this thread. I may start saving now..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Have you not been reading my posts??? :eek: I do not object to people in Northern Ireland considering themselves Irish or British...that is the good thing about the Good Friday Agreement...people can be whatever they wish to be!! I do object to politics and a political decision entering in to sports however!!!

Yes I've been reading your posts. I can see all your hypocrisies.

Your wish to make Irish players born in the North play for the North is a political wish. Your protestations of ''Keep politics out of sport!'' is a false cry when you want to inflict a national team on the players that you have chosen for them.

Nobody says ''Keep politics out of sport!'' when a Ghanaian chooses to play for Ghana or when a Mexican chooses to play for Mexico. Irish people born in the North are just as Irish as the ones born in the Republic so it is only sensible that they can play for the Republic.
    I don't see a difference between countries within the UK having a gentleman's agreement and the Republic having one with Northern Ireland...we are all different countries....and as different countries we compete in qualifiers...very good logic!!!

The difference is the history of the two communities in the North and how they view themselves. Equating Northern Ireland to Scotland, England and Wales is a joke. Any reasonable person would admit that there is a unique situation with regard to citizenship and nationality in NI. But you want to pretend like that situation doesn't exist.
    By the way...the eligibility issue only came in to discussion over posters on here saying Gibson and Co. chose the Republic over Northern Ireland due to sectarian abuse by Northern Ireland supporters...I have yet to find evidence of that...can you find any evidence Pro me ol' mucker??? :)

As long as there are bombs and bullets sent to prominent Northern Irish footballing Catholics, Union flags at the games and GSTQ as the anthem then there will be a constant stream of them declaring for the Republic. The first step to solving a problem is admitting that you have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder what will happen if another celtic player captains the N.Ireland team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

enjoy the experience of the visit of the sea of green and white from Northern Ireland in May

Dont you mean gentle trickle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

A few supporters bring the Union Jack...which I don't see the point of.
    British people being proud of their wee country in the UK shocker. Dublin is going to be rocking in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

KeithAFC wrote: »
    British people being proud of their wee country in the UK shocker. Dublin is going to be rocking in may.

But they're Northern Ireland, not Northern Britian...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

KeithAFC wrote: »

Yea seems a tad hypocritical if you want to be considered as a country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

What you are more or less saying is that due to the ruling that anyone in Northern Ireland who has an Irish passport can play for the Republic we literally may end up with an all protestant Northern Ireland football team player wise.
    That is very scary for Northern Ireland as a whole...sport often builds bridges here...but possibly separating kids and teenagers because they are different religions...it very sad.
    Thankfully the IFA run schemes in all areas of Northern Ireland and coach all kids no matter what religion they are!!!

It won't do any good. You keep sidestepping the GSTQ/Union Flags issue by saying you personally don't agree with them but get real they're here to stay, IFA don't seem intent on changing them so how can you expect a republican to play for NI?
    FAI on the other hand are only focusing in on catholics to play for them.
    Need I say anymore!

You could stop being disengenuos for a start. FAI would never turn away a Protestant player. THe reality is nationalist players don't want to play for NI so they're choosing ROI. Careful what you wish for because it wouldn't surprise me if Protestant players start coming over to the dark side in the next few years.

Regarding semi-merging of the two associations...would you semi-merge with someone who was "stealing" from you??? I know I wouldn't.

Oh cut the crap. As above there's no stealing element they just don't want to play for a UK side.

MY point was that it isn't fair on the IFA to have to develop players they don't get a return on as they declare for the republic.

If the leagues and junior sides were run and funded simultaneously that wouldn't be an issue. Although its probably the most logical answer an all Ireland international team wouldn't be a good idea, so they should keep two seperate sides.
    Northern Ireland have a gentleman's agreement with Scotland, Wales and England not to poach each other's homegrown talent (players in these countries all can get British passports)...it is a shame the Republic don't abide by that same gesture regarding Irish passport holders from Northen Ireland.

Its completely different. ROI aren't in the UK for a start. What are they supposed to say 'sorry lads, gentleman's agreement...go play for the queen'

Nicely put BOS,

Advertisement