Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop for photo processing

• 25-03-2011 8:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I'm currently torn between going for a newer cam or a new laptop. I'd love a d7000, and if I sold the d90 I could do it maybe. But my desktop is over 3yrs old now and sometimes struggles with the heavier programs like lightroom.

How many of you use lappys? And what kind of specs are we talking? Anyone know what's the big deal about the newer intel chips? Like i3/i5? Over say, a quad core. And what else should I be looking for performance wise? At a push I might be able to scrape 500 together for one.

Any advice welcome. Complete laptop nOOb here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My dual-core AMD HP laptop processes D7000 raws in Lightroom no problem, photography is not actually all that system intensive unless you're doing huge batches. Video processing, now that's a different story.

What are the specs of the desktop? You might just be able to upgrade it cheaply. Although having a laptop is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,725 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I use an laptop with 64 bit windows, 4gb ram, i3 processor, Intel HD Graphics card and a 320gb hdd. It runs photoshop elements and lightroom 3 without a single glitch.

The only problem I've ever had is with the screen being extrememly un-calibrated and colours being all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro L450D

link - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/toshiba-satellite-pro-l450-13r-680595/review

The only prob I have with it is that its a wide screen, and requires a lot more scrolling than my old laptop (Which was an Acer, which Id never get again - found it slow to respond).

Have an issue at the moment with broadband connection - loses connection alot, thankfully had taken out warranty after last laptop mishap, and this meant that I got it looked at free of charge. They said it was fixed, but it may now require a new wireless card (and a month away) as it still is causing a prob, although not as often.

If I remember correctly I got the extra ram on it, but use an external drive anyhow to backup files, photos etc for safety.

Good luck, and I would also say upgrading your PC could be a cheaper option, and save you till next year maybe..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Telchak

Just make sure it's a laptop with 64-bit Windows and you shouldn't have any problems processing images (:

Oh, and obviously you want a decent size screen. Mine is 17 inch, which makes it a heavy load for transport but I love having the extra space.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh, and obviously you want a decent size screen. Mine is 17 inch, which makes it a heavy load for transport but I love having the extra space.

Is that a widescreen as well? Im sorry I got a widescreen:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What about something like this? I got my last one here over a year ago and it great on CS5 and Lightroom 3

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/156-Home-Computing-laptop-Toshiba-/304102/301

Borderfox wrote: »
    What about something like this? I got my last one here over a year ago and it great on CS5 and Lightroom 3

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/156-Home-Computing-laptop-Toshiba-/304102/301

Good price! Maybe I should upgrade too....

Processor is good for the price (always liked Athlon) ATI graphics card and 4gb of memory is enough to run most things

Full specs here http://ie.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-C660D-153/1102008/toshibaShop/false/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm still using a six year old PC for processing. i'll be upgrading soon - portal 2 is coming out...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

fast hard drive, as much ram as you can get, min 4gb, i3 or i5 processor minimum, dedicated gfx will help, nothing major tho but help non the less, screen - look at reviews look for decent screen reviews, unless of course you plan to dock it at home into a bigger screen for editing which is a good call imo especially if your not lugging it about too much.

save alot of hassle, save up another 500 and get a macbook pro :D

You wont get a macbook pro for another €500, they start at €1199

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Tbh, you'd be better off doubling your money and buying something like this over a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Telchak wrote: »
    Just make sure it's a laptop with 64-bit Windows and you shouldn't have any problems processing images (:

64 bit won't make a difference unless you have 4+ GB of RAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I would upgrade the desktop only whatever way it was put together it won't accept more ram, very odd. It was a tesco all-in-one job. Dual core with 2gb ram. I think it's riddled with Trojans and viruses to be honest.

I'm not a lover of laptops because I prefer to use a mouse, which makes it less portable anyway. But it might be nice to be able to move around a bit.

I'd get used to it, was a time I wouldn't go online with the phone because I found it irritating. But here I am on the iPhone posting this.

My sister got a mac and loves it, but no way I'd spend that much on one. I could have an fx camera!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

If portability isn't an issue then I'd suggest building a decent spec PC,Cagey. Some people baulk at the thought of assembling a computer, but if you can wire a plug you can put a pc together.:D The most difficult aspect of this is choosing the right components to ensure they are compatible. Post a thread up in the PC Building & Upgrading forum and the guys there will help spec a decent system for your budget.

Edit: One thing that's a must,imo, is that you don't scrimp on the monitor/display...get a good sized IPS lcd panelled monitor. I tend to avoid any serious PP on my laptop as the lcd screen just cannot compare to a proper monitor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Borderfox wrote: »
    You wont get a macbook pro for another €500, they start at €1199

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

second hand easily, a core2 duo would be max 900

I'd love to be confident enough to bios one myself. Bit I'm seriously terrible with anything involving wiring.

I'll be keeping the desktop as a main point and for back up. I just like the idea of getting out of the corner and being able to work away anywhere in the house, or indeed, outside of it.

A mac would be great but even used they're out of my price range. I'm looking at a dell inspiron 15R. Anyone got one? There's so many makes and models out there it's overwhelming.

You can use a wireless mouse (or usb one), and wireless keyboard with a laptop......

Just another idea, if your not keen on laptops.

I love my laptop, great to have with you when on hols and want to check your images.

Yeah, I'll definitely get a wireless mouse if I go for one. But sitting on the couch or whatever I'll have to get used to the pad I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'd love to be confident enough to bios one myself. Bit I'm seriously terrible with anything involving wiring.

There's a thread in the above mentioned forum where users will build the system for you for a nominal sum..maybe 10 or 20 euro. Another bonus of running a diy desktop is that you can easily upgrade it yourself as and when funds allow. :)

Yeah, I'll definitely get a wireless mouse if I go for one. But sitting on the couch or whatever I'll have to get used to the pad I guess.

I use a hard placemat for wireless mouse beside me on the couch - :D

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Tbh, you'd be better off doubling your money and buying something like this over a laptop.

If you're doubling your money there are vastly superior choices to that overrated gimic.

Advertisement